I've killed my fish by accident...???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-07-2004, 01:36 AM   #1
dfaassen
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm new to fish ownership and we just got a betta 3 mnths ago, was doing very nicely, in a planted 3 gallon tank with a few ghost shrimp. A couple of days ago, the betta didn't look well, hanging out on the bottom, then darting around and staying at the top of the tank...It's gills weren't moving. I called the fish store, they told me it was normal behavior. I checked the ph, nitrogen and amonia levels and all were fine. That night our poor fish died. His tail was "white", no dots, just slimy white.'Today I came home and all the ghost shrimp were dead! I think I know how I killed them...I remember pouring the ph water I tested BACK INTO THE TANK!!! Did that kill them? Today the water was kind of murky, kind of orangy...Any ideas? I feel AWFUL!!!!! We were really attached to this fish. Sincerely, D. :cry:
dfaassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2004, 05:38 AM   #2
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Very sorry for your loss, D. I don't know the toxicity level of pH testing fluid. It actually may differ among brands. I also don't know if adding the test fluid has any impact on pH, nitrates, etc. But my guess is that this did your poor fishies in. I actually made this same mistake once, but realized it immediately and did a full water change. Maybe in a 30 gal they would have had a chance (eg 'the solution to polution is dilution'), but in a 3 gal, that stuff would have been pretty concentrated.

A hard lesson learned....everyone has had em.

I wonder now if you need to do a full water change, or if some activated carbon would remove the toxins. Heck, for a 3 gal, you might as well change is all and be safe. Give your tank some time to establish itself again. Best of luck to you.

Ted

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote