Fish Feeding and filters
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-09-2004, 03:59 PM   #1
Broken
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have a XP3 filstar and a milleninu 3000 filter on my 75 gal tank. When I feed the fish, I turn the millenium down, but I have to turn off the XP3 Filstar. Is this ok to shut down the filstar everyday when I feed, is there a way around this? I feel like it going to not last as long with doing this. Is there anyway around this? If I leave that filter on it blows food all over.
Broken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (174/100%)

Not sure if it is good for the filter if you turn it off and on daily. One thing you could try... there is a flow regulator that comes with the filstars. Close it when you are feeding, and then open it back up...
Also, perhaps you feed too much? Just a guess, because I haven't experienced this problem except when feeding lots of live daphnia. With "regular" fishfood, I almost handfeed my fishies. Depends on the kind and number of fish in your tank, of course.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:27 PM   #3
compulsion
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to compulsion

depending on how long you leave the filter off, the media is a good home for bactirial colonisation. hence biological filtration, when the pump is off for a long time they will die off. there are topups availible to boost the bactiria but i dont recomend useing it every time u feed them. go with wasserpest and get a vavle, if not for the filter just get any standard commercial plumbing valve, i know the PEX style plubing pipe is all plastic so you may be able to use these very well..

not my fault it it goes tits up tho
2.7WPG 160W 10,000k 5xNO T8's
Sand+Eco Clay, CSM+B Baby Steps + Pres.Co2
compulsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
mario
Planted Member

Why do you turn off the filter in the first place? Is it because you don't want the food to be distributed throughout the tank? If so, you could get yourself one of these feeder rings. They come with a suction cup so they don't move around and the food floats for quite a while.
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:34 PM   #5
Broken
Algae Grower

I turn it off because even a little bit of flake food goes all over the tank. my spary bar is in the middle of the back of the tank towards the top and it blows the food all over. I found that valve, and that seems to help. thanks for help.
Broken is offline   Reply With Quote