DIY Co2 for 55gal..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-06-2004, 06:24 PM   #1
drillsar
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ok how many 2 litter bottles is recommended for a 55gal tank? Also what mixture? Where can I find the parts here for this:

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Also if I have a canister filter it connects to intake? Has anybody have pics on this? Confused a bit.
drillsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2004, 12:42 AM   #2
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

I thought the article tells you where to get the parts. Which parts are you looking for?

I use two 2L bottle with good result in my 55gl. I'm switching to pressurized though cause tired of mixing those sugar and yeast. I use 2 cup of sugars, half tsp of yeast and a pinch of baking soda. I use Plantguild reactor to dissolve it . If you want, you also can just slip the output tube to the intake strainer of your canister.
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 06:51 PM   #3
R2thaSAR
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to R2thaSAR

i thought canister filters were bad ideas, so i have a pad type thing
Old 03-08-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Ummm...no. canisters are the preferred filter type for a planted tank. they produce little to no surface agitation, which keeps CO2 in the water column.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 11:56 PM   #5
jahysun
Algae Grower

quick question about DIY C02 does it run all night or can you put some kind of shutoff on it so it doesnt run at night OR is the C02 ouput on a DIY system low enough not to cause any adverse effects on the tank?? Was just thinking that if the plants arent using the c02 while the lights are off then wouldnt that C02 just be wasted? If we are going to have to make the C02 mixture once a week, twice a month. could we save ourselves so effort by saving what doesnt get used? oh well just a thought. err and a couple of questions
jahysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:48 AM   #6
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Depending on the size and the number of bottle you use, the output of DIY CO2 is not always low. I got 1 bubble per second or less in my 55.

I don't now if you can regulate the output as your bottle might burst from high pressure.
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 02:14 AM   #7
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

My tank is on an 11 hour photoperiod and my CO2 goes when the lights aren't on. I think that by having it going all the time the CO2 concentrations get a chance to build up for the next day.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:06 AM   #8
drillsar
Algae Grower

whats rigid airline tubing? Also the check valves are like the ones for the air pump correct?
drillsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:49 AM   #9
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (165/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahysun
quick question about DIY C02 does it run all night or can you put some kind of shutoff on it so it doesnt run at night OR is the C02 ouput on a DIY system low enough not to cause any adverse effects on the tank?? Was just thinking that if the plants arent using the c02 while the lights are off then wouldnt that C02 just be wasted? If we are going to have to make the C02 mixture once a week, twice a month. could we save ourselves so effort by saving what doesnt get used? oh well just a thought. err and a couple of questions
The problem is... where to store that CO2 that's produced over night. If you use one of the powerhead driven reactors, you could put it on a timer, shut it off over night, and then start it up early in the morning.
You can't shutoff the DIY bottles directly, but if you wanted to, you could add a solenoid on a T, which opens at night, to let CO2 escape. However, DIY CO2 is all about saving money, and when you start messing around with solenoids, you might as well go high-pressure, and save yourself the yeast/sugar trouble.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 02:24 AM   #10
jahysun
Algae Grower

Hey guys thanks for the replies and sorry to the mod for sneaking in a question on his/her thread oops.
jahysun is offline   Reply With Quote