whimpy little platy
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-05-2004, 10:24 PM   #1
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

She/he(possibly a he not sure) is very skinny and was hollow looking when we got her home. Made a bad desision to not watch what fish we were getting... my fault. She don't eat as varaious as the other platys. I have been HAND feeding her though. She trusts me so much that she swims right into my hand and won't eat unless she sees my fingers holding the flake in the water. Today though, i noticed little wisps of cotton like substance comming off her skinny head (behind the eyes but ahead of the dorsal fin). I took a good look at all the other platys and loaches and saw nothing lik that. The others are getting very accustomed to the new home and are very healthy FAT eaters...(I have a hard time feeding the loaches sinking pellets--platys think that any food is for them also.. but the little 1-1 .5 inch loaches are always fat in the belly after I feed a tablet. I monitor the water parameters everyday, since these are new additions.

So i moved the little handicapped one to a quaranteen tank... so not to infect the others or expose them TOO much. It was easy.. she swam right into my hand and I was able to cup my hand and move her right into the Q tank.

I dosed with about a half dose of malafix AND binox(jungle labs) Both are supposed to help with bacteria or fungus... (I used half dosage so not to shock her too much... and keep bacteria filter from getting shocked... ) I will monitor her a lot now.. but is it futil. She looks like a larger platy that just never got fed a lot, not very ambitous like others. Her body just hasnt filled out... looks more minnow like than platy. Her guts looked dark when I got her, but now since ive been careing for her she is turing white and silver in the gut area like her other companions(red-crystal platy[yellow semi-transparent with red dorsal fin and red scales on the back and mid section...])

I hate to just throw her away... she is so gentle and really admires the HUGE human feeder.. I mean how many fish trust you so much to swim into your hand and not flop out while you carry them to a new tank.. and then afterwards still come to you hand to feed..
fedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2004, 11:19 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

I hand feed my loaches now (that took a long time to get them used to). Its a lot of fun :-)

If you have a QT tank then just let her live there for a while.. Who knows she might bounce back... If she looks like she's suffering too badly then its really your call..
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:18 AM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

I sure hope your platy makes it... One can get really attached to those creatures.
When I buy fish in the store (which doesn't happen too much...) I always take lots of time, even come back the next day, observe their behaviour etc, and then I tell them usually: I want this one and this one and this one... Of course, sometimes they have hidden diseases like internal parasites that you can't really see.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 07:47 PM   #4
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

yah I sort of made a mistake about this one.. but live and learn..