Will my outflow be too strong for my intended stock? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-08-2014, 01:51 AM   #16
goneRogue
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskajeff View Post
I am not talking about a "small" filter...I am talking about one that is designed for the size tank you have. For example I have a 75 gallon full blown planted tank....I have an Ehiem Classic 2215 its designed to filter up to 93 gallons of water. All my plants and fish are thriving....I don't need a bigger filter its just not necessary.Why would I spend my hobby dollars on a bigger filter when I could spend it elsewhere ?
Up to 93 gallons is the key phrase. Eheim doesn't disclose the same information on the american models as they do the european models, but if you look up the classic 350, which is the euro version of the 2215, you'll see the following.

The 350 is rated "for aquariums of about" 120 liters (31 gals) and "for aquariums up to approx." 350 liters (92 gals).

The media capacity is 4L (~1 gallon) and the pump output is 620 liters (164 gals).

Link here: https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products...rs/classic-350

Interestingly the ratings for the pro filters are much more conservative. The 2073, which is rated for up to 90 gals, has a flow output of 275 gals. That's nearly double that of the 2215. Media capacity is only slightly larger than the 2215 at 1.3 gals. Yet those filters are rated for the same size tank by the manufacturer. This is why one can't just look at the box and pick a filter. You need to decide how much turn over is enough. 5x is generally a good aim, but sometimes you may want more.

Now it gets a little more complicated if you want to really drill deeper. The pump output numbers don't account for any fluid losses as a result of the media, especially dirty media. Those numbers are strictly how much water the pump puts out. So that 5x is maybe more like 4x or 3.5x the aquarium capacity after you add media. Not a huge deal if you start with a filter that has 5x the capacity of your tank as you would if you're running the 2215 on a 31 gallon aquarium. However, in your case you're running that filter on a 75 gallon so you're starting at only 2x before you even add media, less if you're running that filter on a 92 gallon tank. After media you're at maybe 1.5x or even less.

It's certainly doable as you've demonstrated, but I wouldn't call it ideal by any means. A lot also depends on the tank as was already pointed out. It's one thing if you're keeping tetras and cory cats and a very different story if you're trying to keep 4 discus. The plants help too of course. But once you get to such a low turnover rate by the filter you are pretty much forced to do large water changes every week. You can't let the filter go 3 months without cleaning it. If you are diligent about your maintenance you can certainly pull it off, but I'm not. Some weeks I just don't have the time and for me the few extra bucks for the convenience of being able to miss a week here and there is well worth it. I think this is true for most people and that is why I recommend a slightly larger filter whenever possible. Overall the larger filter expands your options quite a bit. You can plant the tank more heavily before you run into dead spots, you can stock the tank more heavily, etc.
goneRogue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #17
alaskajeff
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneRogue View Post
Up to 93 gallons is the key phrase. Eheim doesn't disclose the same information on the american models as they do the european models, but if you look up the classic 350, which is the euro version of the 2215, you'll see the following.

The 350 is rated "for aquariums of about" 120 liters (31 gals) and "for aquariums up to approx." 350 liters (92 gals).

The media capacity is 4L (~1 gallon) and the pump output is 620 liters (164 gals).

Link here: https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products...rs/classic-350

Interestingly the ratings for the pro filters are much more conservative. The 2073, which is rated for up to 90 gals, has a flow output of 275 gals. That's nearly double that of the 2215. Media capacity is only slightly larger than the 2215 at 1.3 gals. Yet those filters are rated for the same size tank by the manufacturer. This is why one can't just look at the box and pick a filter. You need to decide how much turn over is enough. 5x is generally a good aim, but sometimes you may want more.

Now it gets a little more complicated if you want to really drill deeper. The pump output numbers don't account for any fluid losses as a result of the media, especially dirty media. Those numbers are strictly how much water the pump puts out. So that 5x is maybe more like 4x or 3.5x the aquarium capacity after you add media. Not a huge deal if you start with a filter that has 5x the capacity of your tank as you would if you're running the 2215 on a 31 gallon aquarium. However, in your case you're running that filter on a 75 gallon so you're starting at only 2x before you even add media, less if you're running that filter on a 92 gallon tank. After media you're at maybe 1.5x or even less.

It's certainly doable as you've demonstrated, but I wouldn't call it ideal by any means. A lot also depends on the tank as was already pointed out. It's one thing if you're keeping tetras and cory cats and a very different story if you're trying to keep 4 discus. The plants help too of course. But once you get to such a low turnover rate by the filter you are pretty much forced to do large water changes every week. You can't let the filter go 3 months without cleaning it. If you are diligent about your maintenance you can certainly pull it off, but I'm not. Some weeks I just don't have the time and for me the few extra bucks for the convenience of being able to miss a week here and there is well worth it. I think this is true for most people and that is why I recommend a slightly larger filter whenever possible. Overall the larger filter expands your options quite a bit. You can plant the tank more heavily before you run into dead spots, you can stock the tank more heavily, etc.
Wow ! You know I have never had anyone actually make a good case as to why they do this but you certainly have. Do you think it would make my tank more stable if I added another 2215 ? I am already doing big weekly water changes if this would cut that back to 10 days it would be awesome.
alaskajeff is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #18
goneRogue
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskajeff View Post
Wow ! You know I have never had anyone actually make a good case as to why they do this but you certainly have. Do you think it would make my tank more stable if I added another 2215 ? I am already doing big weekly water changes if this would cut that back to 10 days it would be awesome.
Definitely. I'm not sure if it would cut back your water changes unless there is some metric you currently go by (nitrate spikes, floating debris, etc.), which more filtration would reduce. It would halve your filter maintenance at the very least.
goneRogue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
27gallon, flow, fluval 305, nano fish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.