Will my outflow be too strong for my intended stock?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-06-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
CherryRed
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Will my outflow be too strong for my intended stock?

Hi All,

I have the bug and am already setting up multiple tanks while I wait for my first to cycle! My husband is not only supportive, but found another spot in our house and bought me the tank I have had my eye on! He's amazing!

So my question(s). I have a Fluval 305 that I purchased used set up on my new 27 gallon cube tank. I have just finished (lol like it will ever be finished) planting and notice some sway in the plants.

My intended stock is small fish - pygmy corys, ember tetras, and similar sized species. I am afraid they will get pushed around the tank. The plants are not grown enough to buffer the flow at all. My add-on concern is the intake will be too strong for them (the person I purchased the filter from put a plastic basket zip tied around the end of the intake, but he kept very large fish).

Is the outflow a valid concern with these fish? How can I modify the flow to better suit them?

Any suggestions for modifying the intake? I have a fluval sponge pre-filter on my other tank, but from previous experiments, the suction power of the 305 starts to pull the sponge in / reduces the flow (is this hard on the filter?).

I read that you can use the lever on the filter to adjust flow but that it put stress on the filter. I am trying to find a balance of happy fish, happy plants, and no damage to the equipment.

My apologies for so many questions. It should be a matter of a couple days before my cycle is complete and I want to ensure my tank is ready for the fish I am so looking forward to!

Thank you for your help.
CherryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
rcs0926
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

It seems the recommended circulation for a freshwater tank is 4x the volume of your tank although for planted tanks, circulation can be halved (http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquarium...n-article.html). Your filter circulates at 185 gph, which is almost 7x the volume of your tank, so it appears you may have too much circulation in your tank.

With that being said, I have an HOB filter on my 20 gallon that's rated for a 50 gallon tank. It circulates up to 200 gph. I have guppies (including fry), neons, corys, ottos, a dwarf gourami and a molly, and none of them seem to be bothered by the current at all. I'm guessing your fish will be fine too.

Your fish will find the calmer areas of your tank. If they all congregate in a particular area rather than exploring all areas of your tank, I'm sure there are ways you can blunt the flow.
rcs0926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
CherryRed
Algae Grower

Great, thank you so much! I'm finding all kinds of things to worry about and I don't even have critters in my tank yet. I appreciate you sharing your experience!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
goneRogue
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

You might be pleasantly surprised to find your fish playing in the current They will find the calmer areas of the tank when they want a rest. I have an eheim 2026 on my 29 gallon, which is rated for around 250 gals/hr AND an AC70 both running at full throttle and the fish are doing great.
goneRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:56 AM   #5
Tankedagain
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would use the lever to throttle it back if you find it has to much flow, it won't hurt anything, may draw a little more power but I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck with the new tank.
Tankedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I have 200+ gph on my 12 gallon and 1500+ gph on my 190. Neither are too high by any stretch. Of course both have 2 returns so the flow is halved out of each.

As tankedagain said, it's easier to throttle than to increase flow.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

i've got a 1850 gph on my 125... everyone seems more than happy.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
webskipper
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would use a 'Y' insert fitting and use 2 glass inlet pipes.

You really just need to keep the water moving rather than rely on the pump to push it from one source. Fewer areas of poor circulation.

I've been experimenting with my cats water fountain pump for the ideal circulation for my small tank.

-Philip
webskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
goneRogue
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by webskipper View Post
I would use a 'Y' insert fitting and use 2 glass inlet pipes.

You really just need to keep the water moving rather than rely on the pump to push it from one source. Fewer areas of poor circulation.

I've been experimenting with my cats water fountain pump for the ideal circulation for my small tank.
If you're going that route split the outlet rather than the inlet.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #10
caique
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

You should be fine. When the plants grow in you might want to get a power head for more movement.

I have ten times circulation in all my tanks but they are heavily planted.

Example fx5 on a 75 with reactor and inline heater with lots of plumbing that slows down flow but I still have lots of current also have a koralia 550 gph power head.

My fish just have a hoot in the current.

Inhabitants are baby (3 month old) praecox rainbows (10), brilliant red tailed rasboras (10), harlequin rasboras (10), 1 Killi a bunch of different cory cats and three plecos 1 super red, 1 long finned lemon drop, and my most expensive fish a blue phantom.
caique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
alaskajeff
Algae Grower

I just don't understand this trend to buy more filter than a tank will ever need. I have been in this hobby for years and never once felt the need to do this. I am sure the companies that make filters are very happy though.

Yes I have had filters break down. In this case I took the bio media out put it in the main tank, went to the store and bought another filter put my old bio media in the new filter and went on with my day .

Nothing died ! Fish tanks are a lot like life , if you take care of things a lot of the horrible things you think can happen never do.

Planted tanks in particular do not need all this filtration.
alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskajeff View Post
I just don't understand this trend to buy more filter than a tank will ever need. I have been in this hobby for years and never once felt the need to do this. I am sure the companies that make filters are very happy though.

Yes I have had filters break down. In this case I took the bio media out put it in the main tank, went to the store and bought another filter put my old bio media in the new filter and went on with my day .

Nothing died ! Fish tanks are a lot like life , if you take care of things a lot of the horrible things you think can happen never do.

No two tanks are the same. Some tanks are longer. Some are taller. Some have few fish. Some have tons of fish.

A good flow never hurts. A lacking flow can hurt.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #13
goneRogue
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskajeff View Post

You can get away with a "small" filter sure. You can't argue a small filter is just as good as a large filter though. Good enough maybe, but definitely not as good.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #14
alaskajeff
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneRogue View Post
You can get away with a "small" filter sure. You can't argue a small filter is just as good as a large filter though. Good enough maybe, but definitely not as good.
I am not talking about a "small" filter...I am talking about one that is designed for the size tank you have. For example I have a 75 gallon full blown planted tank....I have an Ehiem Classic 2215 its designed to filter up to 93 gallons of water. All my plants and fish are thriving....I don't need a bigger filter its just not necessary.Why would I spend my hobby dollars on a bigger filter when I could spend it elsewhere ?
alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:14 AM   #15
CherryRed
Algae Grower

Thank you everyone for your input! I should be getting fish this weekend or early next week so I'll see how they do and the modify per the above as needed. Reading everyone's experience is really helpful. I floated a couple plant leaves that I clipped and watched and there are definitely some slower areas. I hope my little guys and gals happily play in the current too! I have not seen the Y split but will look it up so I can be ready if modifications are needed beyond toggling the lever.

Regarding the filter size, I purchased it along with a 40 gallon hexagon tank when I got back into the hobby. The guy I purchased from had a really nice set up and clean water and I had no idea what I was doing it so I just went with what he said and have gotten off to a good start. When my husband and I got it home the tank ended up looking awful with our decor so I sold it but kept the filter and heaters. All in all I paid about $20 for the Fluval 305 in good condition, so I am happy with it and even happier if I don't have to replace it, even though it might be too much filter for my tank!

I am doing my very best to make the plants happy and create a healthy environment for my fish, but as far as the equipment is concerned I've just kind of stumbled my way into the whole hobby (it all started with a 10gallon tank for our youngest!).

Again, thank you for the input!

Tags
27gallon, flow, fluval 305, nano fish