Need a SHORT canister for shelf under tank... Options? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #16
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

Hey, I tried
You can clean dual canisters in alternative order == same effort + at least one is up and running in case something goes wrong.

You can always try the HOB style, maybe an hour of your time. Based on the tank +stand height the light fixture might make the 2 pipes invisible. Worst case, I'll send you a box of emmersed plants, at x4 the price, of course.

And another edit: put co2 can in an umbrella bucket? Or horizontally in a shoe box lol.

Edit # 17: use a sump instead, return the Lilly pipes or sell them to me @ 75% discount, free shipping.

Darn, Edit #18: your table seem to have some space at the sides of the tank. Put a can at each side (I personally like symmetry) and add a pot with a house plant in front. That's what I did to keep MY wife happy. Better yet, use a lo tech vase with shrimp and plants.

Edit #19: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh....php?p=3644897

Comment # 36: where there is a will, there is a way. Crowd Brain Power (tm pending).

v3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #17
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like your style.

I wish co2 canisters could be used horizontally. That'd make that part simple, at least.

Last edited by kman; 03-06-2014 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Typo
kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #18
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bump. Any other suggestions, people? I still need to measure that Rena Filstar (small), too, although if someone has one who can measure, that'll save me some annoyed looks from the PetCo/Smart employees if I have to open one up in the aisles to measure...
Old 03-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #19
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

12g long sump.

v3
Old 03-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #20
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

Make one yourself out of PVC pipe it's super easy. I don't know the rules about linking to another forum but a simple google search for "DIY PVC pipe aquarium filter" should get you to the right location. I am actually about to build two of them today for my 180 gallon. There are several different kinds, some have removable baskets and some require you to just stack different bags of media and sponges in there, but they are all super easy to make, affordable, and fully customizable unlike may commercial made products.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21394290732.589902.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  143.4 KB
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:57 PM   #21
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The DIY option is somewhat interesting, but most DIY designs I've seen, including the one you posted, have been taller than even most commercial units.

The sump concept is definitely intriguing, but that's a LOT of work and I'm not sure I want to drill my tank (or use HOB-style returns). Also, that would take up most of the shelf under the tank, drastically reducing my storage space for other things. Not sure the wife would be pleased, either, and it'd be harder to hide. (no doors on the shelf, so everything is concealed behind baskets, but a sump would be too deep for that)
Old 03-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #22
aquarist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
Default Need a SHORT canister for shelf under tank... Options?

The PVC pipe filters work on their sides as well.

Are the zoomed nanos too big? I think they are some of the smallest commercial made filters, you can also look into an internal filter if you are really pressed for space I suppose.
aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #23
Racedoc
Planted Member

How about the eheim Ecco pro? They're pretty compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:24 PM   #24
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
The PVC pipe filters work on their sides as well.

Are the zoomed nanos too big? I think they are some of the smallest commercial made filters, you can also look into an internal filter if you are really pressed for space I suppose.
Hmm. I'll look into the DIY, perhaps. I'd rather have a commercial one, but perhaps DIY is the only option.

The Zoomed Nano was discussed on page one (post 5 and several more). It would totally fit, but it's lower powered than the Finnex model that I'm trying to upgrade.

The whole idea is to get stuff out of my tank, so internal filters aren't an option.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #25
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedoc View Post
How about the eheim Ecco pro? They're pretty compact.
It's definitely one I want to measure in person. I need to know total height and clearance (including hoses) to know if it will fit, and no one has posted that yet. I may have to ask someone at Petco (if they carry that one?) to open the box so I can measure.

But the thread I linked in post 1 referred to: Eheim Ecco Pro 2232 at 12" high. If that's true, just for the housing, it definitely won't fit since the hoses need room to clear, too, not to mention the handle that has to pump up and down to prime it.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #26
Oxl
Planted Member

Personally I'd say that the mismatched wood under the tank is more of an eyesore than the filter or CO2 can, why do you have that?

The table doesn't look like a fine piece or antique so if you aren't willing to replace it with something more appropriate for your needs then perhaps you could modify it? Cut a large notch in the back of the middle shelf to accommodate your equipment which can hang off straps or even a lower shelf in the back could be fashioned. Also some sort of curtain, board, or black lacquer could be placed in front of the equipment to hide it.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than an Eheim 2215 for that tank - which would likely work just fine on its side if you had to.
Oxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #27
mott
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I wouldn't run any canisters on their side, they just aren't designed to operate that way, plus I would think all the dirt, sediment would colect on the one side.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:23 AM   #28
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxl View Post
Personally I'd say that the mismatched wood under the tank is more of an eyesore than the filter or CO2 can, why do you have that?

The table doesn't look like a fine piece or antique so if you aren't willing to replace it with something more appropriate for your needs then perhaps you could modify it? Cut a large notch in the back of the middle shelf to accommodate your equipment which can hang off straps or even a lower shelf in the back could be fashioned. Also some sort of curtain, board, or black lacquer could be placed in front of the equipment to hide it.

I wouldn't settle for anything less than an Eheim 2215 for that tank - which would likely work just fine on its side if you had to.
I guess you missed the part of my initial post that said " (There is a mini-stand for the tank that might go away, which would drop that by about 3.5")" The stand that's there is only temporary... I had planned to have a custom stand made from glossy materials, but haven't decided for sure on the final design. So the one that's there is a very temporary placeholder, that I threw together to get the tank to the right height for the final stand. I didn't spend much time on building it since it was only temporary. Even without a stand, the difference is only a few inches of host height, so that wouldn't change anything with regard to the height of the shelf.

My WIFE is not willing to replace the table... or let me cut into it. (Not many wives would, IMO) So I work with what I have.

The equipment is hidden, from the front and right side, and by the bins to the left. The only equipment you can see, normally, is the canister on the floor. I removed the false box fronts that are usually hiding the self contents for the photos, just so people could visual the space (and headroom) better.

Canisters on their side aren't a good idea, in my book, for the reasons mott states in the post above.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #29
MChambers
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Have you considered the Cobalt EXT filter. I think it is 12.13 inches tall, and the hoses come off the top vertically. Not sure how you'd get it past the overhang, but maybe you could slide it in with the top off?
MChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:42 AM   #30
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
Have you considered the Cobalt EXT filter. I think it is 12.13 inches tall, and the hoses come off the top vertically. Not sure how you'd get it past the overhang, but maybe you could slide it in with the top off?
Interesting, but I'm not sure it's an improvement over the other filters around the same height, and any way you look at it, it's definitely not going to fit underneath since the hoses need several inches of clearance. Not sure how I feel about the external pump, but regardless, it definitely won't fit underneath.