LED or T5HO
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
JwDiedrich16
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

LED or T5HO

I need good lighting for a 55 gal planted tank. the lights need to grow low to all the way to a higher medium plants. I don't care is it is LED's or TH5O or even a combination. I really do not want to pay more than $150 PREFERABLE Y LOWER THAN THAT! I have tried getting answers for this tank but so far not alot of help so i would Really appreciate it!
P.S.-are Odessay T5HO's good or even decent
JwDiedrich16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 02:47 AM   #2
randpost
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JwDiedrich16 View Post
I need good lighting for a 55 gal planted tank. the lights need to grow low to all the way to a higher medium plants. I don't care is it is LED's or TH5O or even a combination. I really do not want to pay more than $150 PREFERABLE Y LOWER THAN THAT! I have tried getting answers for this tank but so far not alot of help so i would Really appreciate it!
P.S.-are Odessay T5HO's good or even decent
Odyssea is good but some people have had bad experiences with them. I have a quad t5ho fixture and a dual t5ho both from Odyssea and they run well. I use three of the 6500k bulbs that came with the fixtures along with some 5000k bulbs I purchased elsewhere.

Biggest problem I've seen when looking at reviews for the Odyssea lights is that the ballasts fail at some point. 6 months to a few years or longer. A lot of people are still using theirs still after years. Cheaper lights usually lead to higher dud rates.

LED's also seem light a good route, but I don't have experience with retail LED's, only DIY fixtures.

Here is my quad and dual Odyssea T5HO fixtures on a 29g. Had to add floating plants since my Cory's hated the light intensity. Pressurized co2 is a must unless you like algae. Plant growth has been great.

Last edited by randpost; 03-04-2014 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: add pic
randpost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 02:51 AM   #3
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

I would start with a single 48" Current USA LED+ or Finnex Ray 2, both within your budget. I would then wait a month or so to decide if you really want to add a second LED fixture for more light (my prediction is that you will anyways).

Or you can bite the bullet and get a 4 x t5ho quality fixture that allows you to turn on 2 bulbs at a time.

To answer your last question, my personal philosophy is " buy cheap, buy twice".

Edit: 55g is one of the most common tanks. Look up people's journals to see what their experiences are with different set ups.

v3
Old 03-04-2014, 02:52 AM   #4
JwDiedrich16
Algae Grower

thanks for the help but can you replace ballasts? is it expensive or hard to do or even not worth your time?
Old 03-04-2014, 02:54 AM   #5
randpost
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JwDiedrich16 View Post
thanks for the help but can you replace ballasts? is it expensive or hard to do or even not worth your time?
Ballasts can be had easily on no ebay links allowed I don't think they are worth the price though.
randpost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 02:57 AM   #6
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (142/100%)

You can buy good replacement ballasts on line fir about $25 shipped + some simple wiring effort on your part.

v3
Old 03-04-2014, 03:02 AM   #7
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

I have an Odyssea and it's about 6-8 months old. How long it will last I haven't a clue.
It's not junk but is just a working light which is not expensive. Some of the name brands aren't much better but then some are. The reflector is plastic but actually works well as the chart on this link says.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
But here is the trick. You get about 50-55 PAR/w two bulbs and that is on the lower but not bottom of the mid range. That is good enough for most mid level light plants
but will likely be a little short of getting good red color from red plants if that is your aim. But 4 bulbs is overkill and you will definately need injected CO2/w that.
BTW: that site also sells the bulbs separately and I would ge two of the 10,000K
so you can put one of the 6500K that comes/w it and one 10,000K for more visible light in that tall tank.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:28 AM   #8
shift
Wannabe Guru

Does anyone know a good cheap source for replacement t5ho sockets?
5.5G Fluval Chi - Pumpkin shrimplets
10G - CRS/CBS | 10G - Red Rilli's | 10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #9
jrman83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

You can grow anything you want with a decent 2-bulb setup and CO2. But, it seems the recent trend here lately is high light, in which you will need 3-4 bulbs. A 3-bulb setup would be much better. You don't state if you will have CO2 or not?
Eheim Pimp #448
jrman83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
goneRogue
Algae Grower

2 t5HO bulbs will definitely get you in the high light category for a 29
goneRogue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2014, 11:25 PM   #11
JwDiedrich16
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I would start with a single 48" Current USA LED+ or Finnex Ray 2, both within your budget. I would then wait a month or so to decide if you really want to add a second LED fixture for more light (my prediction is that you will anyways).

Or you can bite the bullet and get a 4 x t5ho quality fixture that allows you to turn on 2 bulbs at a time.

To answer your last question, my personal philosophy is " buy cheap, buy twice".

Edit: 55g is one of the most common tanks. Look up people's journals to see what their experiences are with different set ups.

v3
what are some good LEDS?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.