Looking for some opinions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-16-2014, 05:22 AM   #1
nojke
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking for some opinions

This is my first post, first tank, first everything. I've been lurking and reading for awhile and I've finally decided to jump in.

Some background of what I'm trying to achieve. This is my low tech 40g breeder. Low/Med light (using a Current Satellite Plus). No CO2. I will probably be using glosso as a carpet (going to do a dry start) and moss for the tree. Pretty simple. And probably throwing in a dozen or so neon tetras later.

So this is my scape so far.

I like the left side of the tank with the tree on a slope. I'm looking for your expert opinions on what I should do to the right side of tank. Something to me isn't right. I'm not sure if I should have another slope like the left side? Or do something totally different? Maybe just flat?

Give me options !!

Thanks!
nojke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
KribsDirect
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I like this scape! Very cool wood and rocks! I wouldn't change a thing, but I'm new also. It looks great to me.
KribsDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
pirayaman
Planted Tank Obsessed

I love it get hc to grow between the rocks. Sooo dope

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
pirayaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
petlover997
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Looks great!! Add some light into it though
petlover997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

i really like the look! at the moment it looks very dark and ominous, love it. Im sure that will change with a splash of green and more light, but i think that looks great, you nailed it!

Its almost a shame that you are going to be going the low-med tech route, there are so many plants that would look amazing in this tank that you will simply not be able to use. James Findley from the Green Machine referred to not using Co2 as " a painter limiting himself on the colors he can use ".
Sean W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:32 PM   #6
nojke
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
i really like the look! at the moment it looks very dark and ominous, love it. Im sure that will change with a splash of green and more light, but i think that looks great, you nailed it!

Its almost a shame that you are going to be going the low-med tech route, there are so many plants that would look amazing in this tank that you will simply not be able to use. James Findley from the Green Machine referred to not using Co2 as " a painter limiting himself on the colors he can use ".
Thanks! You know, this is my first tank so I wanted to make sure I liked this hobby before buying up more stuff. But you never know, adding CO2 later shouldn't be too hard.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
AquaJedi
Algae Grower

Wow! Such a cool hardscape. HC or Monte Carlo would be nice choices but w/o using CO2, you might be limited in what you can carpet with. Can't wait to see more progress pics.
AquaJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
BeeJL
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

What brand of tank is that and where did you get it? I want a 40 gal rimless breeder tank.
BeeJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
Sprinkles
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Lovely scape! The flow of the rocks and the wood really work to keep the eye moving. Nice job!
Sprinkles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
nojke
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaJedi View Post
Wow! Such a cool hardscape. HC or Monte Carlo would be nice choices but w/o using CO2, you might be limited in what you can carpet with. Can't wait to see more progress pics.
I actually just DSM my tank with some Monte Carlo. We'll see how it goes with no CO2. But I heard Monte Carlo will do okay without it. Thoughts?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
Anfer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Anfer

Very Nice, Can't wait to see more progress pics.
Anfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wouldn't change a thing with that scape. It looks awesome for a first tank!
good luck...
Old 03-03-2014, 01:04 AM   #13
nojke
Algae Grower

Thanks guys!!

You can now follow my tank in the tank journals. Here's a link

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=569194
Old 03-03-2014, 02:52 AM   #14
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I like the left side of the tank with the tree on a slope. I'm looking for your expert opinions on what I should do to the right side of tank. Something to me isn't right
You're right, the right side is off. The problem is that it's in direct competition with the left, like two boxers facing off. One solution is to lower the right side substrate and make the left side substrate gradually slope into the right. The left side needs more width so the branch should be moved to the right a bit to occupy more space. It looks rather feeble backed into the corner like that.

As for framing, the front substrate line must be perfectly level, not the slight smile that it has now. Think of the substrate line like the bottom of a picture frame. It frames the entire scape.
Solcielo lawrencia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:30 AM   #15
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm doing a DSM project with Monte Carlo too. Heard the same about the "MC" but will be using pressurized CO2 when I flood. I think the right side compliments the left and I wouldn't change a thing. The front substrate level that you currently have accentuates the valley and I have to disagree with keeping it a straight line. Straight lines in nature are unnatural. Keep us updated with pics of progress. Good luck!
Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote