Are Amanos born with their side/top markings?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Absolut Talent
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are Amanos born with their side/top markings?

Are Amanos born with their side/top markings? Or is that something that develops later on as they mature?

I cant seem to find an answer out there about it, or maybe im just googling it wrong. Just curious as so far ive gotten a few shrimp from 2 different LFS, both were assured to be true Amanos, but they dont look anything like the pictures I see online.
None of them have the side dots or dashes. One is a female and is berried, but again, no markings on the sides. She does have a tan line running down her back from nose to tail. Shes hiding in my java moss wall, but from the short glimpses it appears the eggs are a dark color (dark brown/black)

The other ones all look similar to themselves, very clearish body, except for one which is opaque with a reddish tinge on the shell (i think he might be a goner soon), and on the smaller side at roughly 1". I know they arent ghost shrimps before anyone throws it out there (i have several healthy ghosties for comparison)

They have cleared up a wall of diatoms on the plastic canvas mesh around my moss wall. But they just dont look anything like the pictures I see online of what an amano should be. I want to know atleast what I have here.
Absolut Talent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 02:46 AM   #2
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Post a CLEAR picture of the shrimps you're referring to. That's the quickest way you'll get an answer to your question within 30 seconds.

Without a photo, it's just a guess & I've seen amanos in at least 5 different subtle colors.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
Absolut Talent
Algae Grower

These are the best I can do with my old camera (10+ years, no manual focus)

The first picture is what some of the other ones look like. One is a little longer, but white opaque on the inside (been like that for about 2 months, but if its like what happened to some of my ghosts when I first got them, i dont think he will be around much longer). None of them have any lines on their top. This one in particular is always all over the place picking at stuff

The 2nd picture is what the berried female also looks like. With that light tan line down its back. I hardly see this guy out though, pure luck he was there for the picture. Now I cant find him. But I can always find the female in my java moss wall behind where this one was.

But none of them seem to have those distinct side dots/dashes I see in every other amano picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00016.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	284346  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00006.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	284354  

Old 03-06-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Definitely NOT amanos.

You must have purchased them from Petco. Surprised no one else on the TPT forum has responded yet since you added the photo.

During the 50% off sale around the END of February, I bought some of those shrimp too. I'm not exactly sure what species they are either.

However when I bought them, I KNEW they're weren't amanos, but @ $1.20 each, I grabbed about 5 of them in addition to the 2 amanos they had. It's RARE to see anything here other than GHOST shrimps Petcos.

I talked to Brian one of the managers of the stores that does the purchases every week & they haven't received REAL amanos in over 6 months. The last time they had "Amanos" delivered, they were the same species as the ones you posted.

Here's the scampi I brought home that day. See if you can pick out the imposters.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #5
lemonnoodle
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

def not amano
lemonnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:07 AM   #6
Absolut Talent
Algae Grower

it wasnt petco (my petco's/petsmarts never have anything good)
I went back to one the other week and asked about it, he said they order it as "japanese algae eater shrimp" and vary rarely do they get true amanos. Yet thats how they are labeled and sold as.

And compared to the 5th picture from the left that you posted, I see the 2 amanos with the dotting. And I see the one on the right has what looks like a lightly colored line down its back.
Thats why I was curious about the dotting showing up later.

So if they are not amanos, any idea on what they could be?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:43 AM   #7
randpost
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Petco comes through when you order from them at least sometimes. If they aren't Amano's you don't have to buy them. I have 2 Petco's within a few minutes driving distance; one I never really expected much from since the store isn't ran very well (Manager doesn't even remember me or my order) while the other was better managed and produced items that I ordered and even called me when their fish delivery arrived. It's hit or miss with Petco's.

I bought 5 of these today after ordering them a few days ago. I'm debating on buying a few more. 2.25 plus tax is way cheaper than the prices I was seeing online not even including shipping:

randpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:13 AM   #8
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No idea. That's why I bought them because the best chance for me to get an ID is for me to get some decent macro photos to show someone who's more knowledgeable about the subtle differences in the species. Might meet up with a few this weekend.

However after warming the "bag of shrimp" back up from 40 degrees & drip acclimating for 2 hours ..... upon their release, I've seen them actively foraging, but rarely do they come close enough for me to get a good CLEAR photo.

The worst thing about ALL the shrimp I bought that weekend is every single one are transparent or different shades of brown. Makes it very hard to tell the difference between them.
  • Notice: The LAST shrimp in the photo is the only one that had any type of color. The two whisker shrimps have slight differences in the EYES, one had a darker center than the other.
  • BTW, OP how much did you end up paying for you shrimps?
  • Rand, nice healthy looking plants & STS substrate. the shop I bought mine from is what the manager of the fish department Vi called a "connecting store" so they're able to get livestock that's not available to the smaller PTC stores. They had low grade cherry shrimp, SAEs & that harlequin lobster as well.

Was planning to get about 12 amanos that day (most for other people), but they only had 2 left by the time we made it down there.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:29 AM   #9
Absolut Talent
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
  • BTW, OP how much did you end up paying for you shrimps?
I hate to admit it... the first batch was $4.99 each, 1 out of the 3 survived the acclimation/transport
The 2nd batch from a 2nd location was during a sale of 50% off, so bought 6 for $15 total and all 6 still around.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:24 AM   #10
aquabruce
Planted Member

I don't think they're Amanos.

Do they look like this? http://www.planetinverts.com/Neocari...eteropoda.html
aquabruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:44 AM   #11
Absolut Talent
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabruce View Post
I don't think they're Amanos.

Do they look like this? http://www.planetinverts.com/Neocari...eteropoda.html
I am going to say that they look much more like those than any of the amano pictures ive seen.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:24 AM   #12
Charlest
Planted Tank Obsessed

Im gonna say definitely a caridina species. Not japonica though. They look more like Malawi but bigger. How big are they?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Charlest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:34 AM   #13
2pac
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

the second picture OP posted IMO is definitely a neocaridina palmata
2pac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:36 AM   #14
Charlest
Planted Tank Obsessed

Maybe this will help one of my ancient threads on a local utah forum. Im pretty sure your dealing with a Malawi species depending on their size. Images arent loading on my phone maybe youll have better luck.

http://www.aquaticutah.com/viewtopic.php?t=686

Err nevermind thats a list of poso/Sulawesi not Malawi

Charlest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:21 AM   #15
Absolut Talent
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlest View Post
Im gonna say definitely a caridina species. Not japonica though. They look more like Malawi but bigger. How big are they?

Eyeballing it, the smallest one is about1/2"-3/4", the largest ones are slightly over 1"
Well im done spending money at LFS on shrimps I dont want when I wanted amanos.

Anyone got suggestions for reputable online stores to get real amanos?