Flash suggestions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 03-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
zimbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to zimbo

Flash suggestions

Hi there

I have a nikon 5100, just got a 105mm macro lense on the way, and was curious what flashes folks recommended, preferably wireless.

Thanks!
zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Kai808
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I use a SB700 on my wife's d5100 and although I mainly shoot with a Canon, I'm pretty impressed with quality of that camera.

There are some things to consider... What's your budget and what else to you plan to take pictures of? If budget wasn't a concern I would go with a full Nikon system. If you want to take a risk and get the best bang for your buck? Check out the wireless triggers from amazon like the ones from Yongnuo. Also, if you plan on using this system for other things like portraits, parties and gigs. Make sure the trigger and the flash has TTL or else you will have to calculate the flash output for each shot. The cheaper triggers and manual flashes aren't too bad if you're only taking shots of the tank and fauna, due to the controlled lighting environment.

Sorry, but I can't go to in depth about flashes and camera but if you want to know more, there are many books and online articles about them.

I hope this helps and remember practice, practice, practice.
Kai808 is offline   Reply With Quote