Weird cobwebby stuff
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-04-2004, 08:31 PM   #1
cruizer
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cruizer Send a message via MSN to cruizer Send a message via Yahoo to cruizer

I have some weird cobwebby stuff on some of my moneyworts. In that area where it is, the plants leaves all are dying and comming off. It looks like I haven't dusted in ages! Except it's in a tank. I tried to take some pics, but they didn't turn out.

Anyone have any similar experiences?
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2004, 01:07 AM   #2
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

It's probably the start of hair or string algae...
2la is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
cruizer
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to cruizer Send a message via MSN to cruizer Send a message via Yahoo to cruizer

Hmm. Well i've got a few strans of hair algae on a couple plants, but it looks nothing like this. Literally, you'd think it was cobwebbs. I tried so hard to get a picture last night, but nothing is comming out.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:48 PM   #4
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Then it's string algae. Some people refer to it as thread algae.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:59 AM   #5
cruizer
Planted Member

Well whatever it is just killed one of my moneyworts. I came home from work, and the one plant with the most of the cobbwebby stuff was rotted in half, and floating on the surface. When I grabbed it, kinda melted in my hand.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:35 PM   #6
Splash
Planted Member

Eeep :!: That sure doesn't sound like algae. Does the cobwebby stuff have any color to it? If not, it might be some sort of aquatic saprophyte...like a fungus.

It is always hard to tell "cause and effect," but given what you have said here, you might want to get the stuff out of your tank, even at the expense of removing a few infected (infested?) plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizer
Well whatever it is just killed one of my moneyworts. I came home from work, and the one plant with the most of the cobbwebby stuff was rotted in half, and floating on the surface. When I grabbed it, kinda melted in my hand.
29 gal planted tank, 30" FW Aqualights w/ 1x 65W 6700K CF & 1x 55W 9325K CF, 20-lb CO2 w/ Milwaukee SMS122 controller, reverse-flow UGF (bah!), gravel substrate (also bah!), 4 Praecox, 3 Ottocats, 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose cat, 2-3 C. japonica, 5 Red Cherry Shrimp, & too many detestable pond snails!!!
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2004, 09:20 PM   #7
cruizer
Planted Member

It's white, kinda like cobwebbs. It only seems to be on the moneywort on the right side of the tank, nowhere else. No other plants.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:14 PM   #8
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll say it for the last time, and you can take it for what it's worth: I believe it's thread algae. Your moneywort was likely dying already, and any algae will find the most suitable substrate on which to latch. But that's just one guy's opinion. I look forward to the conclusion of this thread to find out what, in fact, it is. Best of luck.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:12 PM   #9
all4funwfish
Planted Member

i have the exact same problem with my whorled penny wort....it is exactly what you are refering to, i got rid of a lot of mine by "pruning" off the leaves that had it, but then it came back....im going to invest in some amano shrimp, see if they eat it. if you find a solution, please share
all4funwfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2004, 04:46 PM   #10
cruizer
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2la
I'll say it for the last time, and you can take it for what it's worth: I believe it's thread algae. Your moneywort was likely dying already, and any algae will find the most suitable substrate on which to latch. But that's just one guy's opinion. I look forward to the conclusion of this thread to find out what, in fact, it is. Best of luck.
The weird thing is that it's only dying in the areas where this stuff is. One plant the op is OK, but the middle-bottom has this stuff on it. You touch it and the leave falls off, but you actually have to pull the leaves off the top. Two shorter ones in the back of the group are completely gone, I pulled them out last night.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:17 PM   #11
Splash
Planted Member

cruizer, does this sound familiar?

To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: fungus, disease, algea on Java and african fern?
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 20:47:51 -0400

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having some tough luck keeping both the Java fern (microsorum
pteropus) and the African water fern (bolbitis heudelotii). What's
happening is that they develop grayish-brown spots which enlarge and
then the leaf or stem rots away. If you look closely, you can often
see fine "threads" (of fungus?) on these spots. It affects new and old
leaves and if the "infected leaf" comes within contact of the leaf of
another plant, such as an Amazon sword, that leaf becomes infected too.
I've lost a couple really nice bolbitis plants and a few microsorum
plants already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2la
The weird thing is that it's only dying in the areas where this stuff is. One plant the op is OK, but the middle-bottom has this stuff on it. You touch it and the leave falls off, but you actually have to pull the leaves off the top. Two shorter ones in the back of the group are completely gone, I pulled them out last night.
29 gal planted tank, 30" FW Aqualights w/ 1x 65W 6700K CF & 1x 55W 9325K CF, 20-lb CO2 w/ Milwaukee SMS122 controller, reverse-flow UGF (bah!), gravel substrate (also bah!), 4 Praecox, 3 Ottocats, 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose cat, 2-3 C. japonica, 5 Red Cherry Shrimp, & too many detestable pond snails!!!
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.