My 10 gallon planted tank.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-04-2004, 07:11 PM   #1
mario
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I decided to put an effort into properly scaping my 10 gallon planted tank. It's sitting in my bedroom and really should look nice so my girlfriend doesn't get too upset with my hobby.

Obviously, I just rescaped a number of plants in this tank so it looks a little bare right now. I hope the foreground will fill nicely with the Glosso and Lilaeopsis. On the right, I would like to keep the Pearlweed fairly low, so the Limnophila will show up above it. The Samolus will idealy form a slope growing from small in the front to large in the back. And the Alternanthera needs to fill in the rest of the space.

I'm a little unsure of what to do with the wood. It looks great in person, but just shows up as a dark spot in the picture. Maybe I could attach a few tiny ferns at the bottom of the wood as well.

If you have any ideas or critique of the tank, please share. Thanks... mario

The tank is planted with:

Microsorum pteropus
Vallisneria spiralis (small form)
Samolus parviflorus
Glossostigma elatinoides
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Alternanthera reineckii
Limnophila aromatica

The inhabitants are:

2 Crossocheilus siamensis (juvenile)
1 Otocinclus affinis

The hardware:
10 gallon All Glass tank
approx 50 watts of CF light
50 watt heater
4l DIY yeast injection
AquaClear 200
Red Flint Gravel mixed with Flourite
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2004, 07:43 PM   #2
Tonyd
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks good. Some ferns on the wood probably would look nice. How are you planning to divide your Lilaeopsis and your Glosso? Just kind of let them intermingle or do you have definite zones for them both?

Tony
Tonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:38 PM   #3
mario
Planted Member

Tony, I don't want to strictly divide the Glosso and Lilaeopsis. If one threatens to take over the others space, I will intervene, but if there is some peaceful comingling... so be it.

One thing I was considering is to swap the positioning of the Pearlweed and Lilaeopsis. The Pearlweed might contrast better with the Valisneria behind it and it might also take over the driftwood somewhat. It'll be a little bit of a pain to shuffle these guys around, but the more I think about it, the better it seems to me.

Any other ideas?
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 10:03 PM   #4
Junebug720
Algae Grower

Nice tank. I actually like the wood in the picture.
Junebug720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:29 PM   #5
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

It is a great start, with some plants that not everyone has... It's been a long time since I have seen Samolus in a tank... If all of that grows and you start to thin out... let me know, I would like some spare cuttings

With plants growing in, the tank will change its appearance, so its really hard to say right now, but... the Vallisneria and Java fern side by side are not optimal from a scaping point of view. The leaf shape and color are too different to be seen as one green area, and too similar to contrast from each other. But maybe I am wrong, and once Alternathera and Limnophila fill in it will be perfect.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:48 PM   #6
mario
Planted Member

Just a little update on how the tank is progressing.

I did end up swapping the Lilaeopsis and the Hemianthus around. The forground is starting to fill in nicely, while the background still needs some work. I'm also contemplating to fill in the space between the Limnophila and Althernanthera with another stem plant and keep the Samolus solely for the middle region of the tank.

Old 03-19-2004, 05:55 PM   #7
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Trim back the Hemianthus and it will form an nice bush for you. Ludwigia arcuarta, you need some, between the Hemianthus and val, you'll have to keep things trimmed down so you can see the val......

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:47 PM   #8
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Real nice tank! I would get rid of the Samolus, it doesn't seem to fit in. I don't think you need any more species, just more stems! It would look great to let the A.reineckii and L.aromatica fill up more, and maybe trim the Java fern to make a 'triangle aquascape' to the tank. Sorry for the criticism..ops:
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:06 AM   #9
mario
Planted Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

Sean, I am continuosly trimming the Hemianthus to keep it shorter than 3-4''.

Raul, I was thinking about possibly replacing the Samolus with some Cryptocoryne wendtii "Tropica" that I got from Aquariumgarden. For now I will give a little more time until my background grows in more bushy before I make a decision. And please, don't apologize for criticizm, that's why I put up pictures of my tank.