Simple Fluval 04 model output
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 03-04-2004, 02:16 AM   #1
mm12463
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The output nozzle for the Fluval 04s sucks. Too much surface disturbance. Just don't like it. So I picked up one of these T connectors at the hardware store. Fits right in the tubing. Sprays both ways and is about 2 inches below the surface. I have mine placed in the middle of my tank it seems to circulate the water better and doesn't blow the plants over.

Old 03-04-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
Mini4x
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Mini4x Send a message via AIM to Mini4x Send a message via MSN to Mini4x Send a message via Yahoo to Mini4x

Can you step up to the spraybar or make your own. Very even water flow across the entire tank.
Mini4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
cich
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich

I'm going out today to get one of those! Funny how a ~50 cent item works SO much better than that terrible output! I can have my water level at the TOP of the tank and its still just below the water making the surface look like river rapids :P.
cich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:19 PM   #4
mm12463
Algae Grower

I was thinking of a way to do a spray bar. They do not include them anymore and not sure they even make it as an add on piece. The old 03 models did and I love it. For now I am happy with this do-dad, circulates the water great. But if I get to it I might make one.

And yes it is amazing what a 50 cent piece can do.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:41 PM   #5
cich
Wannabe Guru

Went out and got one, although it doesn't make a snug fit, so I just used a rubber band to hold it on. It's nice to see the surface calm again.

--cich
Old 03-04-2004, 11:10 PM   #6
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

heh.. The fluval output works great if you lower it 4" below the surface of the water... I still use mine.

I "HATE" the hoses and how they get into the tank though... I can't believe manufacturers still use suction cups instead of decent rim clamps.. Thats the one good thing about the Magnum 350 I have.. the Intake/output assembly is great.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 11:17 PM   #7
cich
Wannabe Guru

yeah... I don't even use the suction cups. They came off the third day.
I can't get my input 4" below the water, because as it lowers, it gets looser and looser until it just falls out.

--cich
Old 03-05-2004, 12:58 AM   #8
cich
Wannabe Guru

Just wanted to add one more thing. I rolled up about 2 squares of paper towel and wedged it between the hoses and the back glass of the tank, close to the top. This will snug the intake tube right against the glass in the tank without the need for suction cups. Hope I explained myself well enough...
Old 03-05-2004, 02:20 PM   #9
pineapple
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (40/100%)

As the comment above says, "those hoses" are a pain.

The suction cups Fluval provides to hold the hoses to the back side of the aquarium are not a very good solution either. If you, as I do, paint the back of the aquarium with acrylic paint and a mini roller, the surface is not flat/slick enough to hold the suction cup. If Fluval provided some innovative clips of some type to hold the hoses to the top of the frame, it would be a great help.

Also, the colour of the input end of the filter and output end is not very good: grey. Either transparent (like the input tube) or some other subtle colour would be much better. Blue grey is useless.

It always amazes me that companies with success and money are simply unable to provide the useful common-sense innovations we all need.

Such is life.

Andrew
pineapple is offline   Reply With Quote