Equipment Advice?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-27-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

Equipment Advice?

I am in the process of setting up two planted tanks, and have a few questions about the 35g hexagon. Being a 24" tall tank I decided to go with a suspended 150w HQI pendant. Will this level of light force me into adding CO2 and ferts to keep things balanced and the algae under control? I was really hoping to avoid the extra equipment and work, as I'm trying to keep things as basic as possible. I just want an attractive tank, I'm not trying to recreate some asian-style scape or grow demanding specimens. (no offense to those that do)

I was also wondering about the filter and surface agitation. I'd like to ripple the surface to create the shimmer effect from the HQI lighting. That's not a problem so long as I'm not injecting CO2, correct?

Any pointers on creating a good water current/circulation in a hex tank?

Thanks.
prototyp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
bastalker
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Having a 150W pendant over a 35G tank is asking for dissaster without c02, and alot of it!!

Now that you have addressed the low tech forum, 70-80 watts would be a good start with this set up. Its a deep tank and this lighting should be sufficient for a low tech tank.

hth
Mark
Old 12-28-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

Can I just raise the fixture to lessen the light intensity and avoid injecting it? I can easily get the bulb up to about 22" off the water before it gets too high and blinds the entire room.

My girl's going to think I'm nuts if I come walking in with a ten pound tank of CO2..
Old 12-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
frasertheking
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ive got a 29 gal with a 115 watts of cf , i got bored of diy co2 so i let the plants thicken up at the surface and add duck weed and ive had no problems so that might work but dont let the duckweed get to thick
frasertheking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
bastalker
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Hangin the 150W a couple a feet over the tank might work but man I would hate to see the light in the room!!

tc
mark
Old 01-02-2008, 01:52 AM   #6
Rod Hay
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

If you don't want a high tech tank I'd definately return or sell the MH!!! Not only does that light cost more to start with; the replacement bulbs will probably cost a bit more. Of greater concern to me, though, would be the everyday cost in electricity! Why pay extra just to hang it higher to reduce the light!?!

I have a planted 35g hex tank. I run it as a low-med tech tank w/ 3ml of Excel added daily. But no pressurized CO2 gas. I have the dual 80w Orbit CF from Current USA. It has two light switches so I use a 'noon burst' photo period.
5hrs @ 40w = 200w &
4hrs @ 80w = 320w
for a total of 520 watts per day on this tank.

If you used a 9hr photo period @ 150w you'll run 1,350 watts in light per day. More than double what I'm running. Even at 7hrs you'd now use only double: 1,050 watts and get to see your fish less !

I do have a high tech tank (75g) w/ pressurized CO2. I would NEVER turn my 35g hex into a high tech tank. I find the depth quite hard to work in. I don't mind fussing once every other month or so. But, I wouldn't want to prune stems in this tank weekly! Bah! Humbug!
Rod Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 PM   #7
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

After weighing my options, I think I'm going to setup the 35 hex as a paludarium.

I'm an artist so I'm excited to get in there and put my sculpting to use in designing the landmass and water feature. I also think it'd create a very interesting home for a dwarf puffer. Those little guys won over the lady so she's lobbying for one. She'll get her fish, I'll get to avoid the CO2 hassle, and the light stays and is actually beneficial to the setup.

I'll create my little aquatic garden in the other tank, a 40g breeder with (4) 21w t-5's and an eheim 2126. It will definitely be easier to prune and maintain than the taller hex.

Thanks for all the input guys, it's appreciated.