My Spec V Nano
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-25-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
STS_1OO
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

My Spec V Nano

Figured I'd post my first and only tank at the moment. I have another nano in the works.

I have to say that this tank was mostly possible due to the TPT community so thanks for all the help!

Specs:

- Fluval Spec V + 16" Fugeray + GLA Paintball setup + EI dosing + Flourish Iron
- Sits in my office
- Ludwiga Red, Blyxa Japonica, Java Fern Windelov, Fissiden Fontanus, S. Repens (not doing so hot), Crypt Wendtii, Nesaea crassicaulis
- Bumblebee Goby, Scarlet Badis, Cherry Shrimp, Pygmy Cory, Mountain Cloud Minnows, Vietnamese Dwarf minnows

Goal:

A cutaway of a pond/river - not as exact as a biotope but something a bit more realistic and partially haphazard (i.e. not a grassy underwater mountain range - that's reserved for my next nano ).

Left to do:

I'm struggling with S. Repens to grow out properly. I'm giving it one more clean shot and if that fails, I'm planning to throw in a darker/earthy sand to complete the scape.

Constant battle with BBA. You may notice a bit of it in the pics. It used to be much much worse until I raised the lights and added regulated CO2 injection.

Lastly, what you see below are the only pics I've ever taken of it. I completed a fairly large Blyxa (my first) and ludwiga trim a day after.

STS_1OO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
derbyfb10
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow, looks really excellent! Very impressed Your Blyxa Japonica looks very nice.
derbyfb10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #3
nomad1721
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great looking tank! I really want a Spec V and seeing awesome examples like this make it really hard to hold out. I also like the last picture of the cherry shrimp with the fissidens. I always say that I'm going to get some (fissidens that is), and then I end up with some other moss every time. I need to be more patient and just find a source for fissidens. One day...
Old 02-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
STS_1OO
Planted Member

Thanks for the compliments. The Spec V is great in that it's a good starting point - none of the extra work surrounding a filter (flow pipes, filter location, etc.). I do prefer the full viewable tanks (all four sides) with the caveat that it takes more money to make them work nicely (Lilly pipes, canister filter, etc.).

My next nano is a stripped Fluval Chi (I had it laying around unused) with the nicer setup. Hopefully it'll go as well!

I tried fissidens once before but I had an out of control BBA outbreak which meant the fissidens with its slow growth was bound to fail. This time around it's growing out nicely - that picture with the shrimp is fissidens fontanus attached to rock and it took about 1 month to fill out.

Also, to be fair, my first attempt at fissidens involved unstable DIY CO2 and zero ferts.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #5
Rah

I love the look of the tank!! That Driftwood is awesome!

Quick question, what are you using to raise the light?

I currently have a 20" Planted+ on my Spec V. But I need to raise it higher cause otherwise the algae will get out of hand.

Thanks for your help!
Rah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
Mirkinator
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rah View Post
I love the look of the tank!! That Driftwood is awesome!

Quick question, what are you using to raise the light?

I currently have a 20" Planted+ on my Spec V. But I need to raise it higher cause otherwise the algae will get out of hand.

Thanks for your help!
Exactly what I wanted to know, is that a homemade hangy thingy that you put into the slot for the original lights? Also I found the stock filter to just barely does it for my tank, I had to get a canister. Do you the stock one is adequate for yours?
Mirkinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
STS_1OO
Planted Member

Thanks!

So I attempted the light for a few of reasons:
  • I started the tank with the Fugeray 16" but no CO2 and then DIY CO2. Bad idea. Much like what you're describing Rah, BBA and hair algae took over my slower growers. So I had to find a way to adjust the height.
  • The tank's cover is a cheap plastic and the local hard water made keeping it clean tedious
  • I like open tanks with hanging lights personally - they look more professional to me

How I did it:
  1. I used...
    • A steel flat bar from Home Depot
    • Galvanized steel cable (I don't recall the gauge off the top of my head) - A quick google search and you'll know what I'm talking about...you can find it at Ace or Home Depot. I used about 38-40" for the 16"
    • Eye hole screws x 2
    • Bolts + washers x 3
    • Cable clamps x 2
  2. I bent the steel bar to the proper shape, spray painted it (with primer) and bolted it so it stands about 20" above the tank
  3. Drilled the eye hole screws into the bar
  4. Ran the galvanized cable through the slots where the light's legs attach, and through the eye hole screws.
  5. Used cable clamps to hold the cable in place.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by STS_1OO; 02-26-2014 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 02-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
STS_1OO
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkinator View Post
Also I found the stock filter to just barely does it for my tank, I had to get a canister. Do you the stock one is adequate for yours?
The stock filter seems more than adequate. It delivers the CO2 uniformly to about 90% of the tank, but that probably also has to do with the GLA atomic diffuser I'm using.

At the same time, the filter isn't so strong that my plants fall over or my fish struggle.

One thing I recommend is pulling the pump out from time to time and cleaning the impeller. It doesn't take a long time to gunk up and a gunked up one will lower your flow by a considerable amount (mine even stopped working the first time around).

Needless to say, I do not use supplemental flow, which I'm glad for - less clutter and baggage to deal with .
Old 02-27-2014, 02:06 AM   #9
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Pretty sweet nano. How big do hose bumble bee gobys get?
Old 02-27-2014, 02:31 AM   #10
difrent7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Awesome setup. I have the same tank and am planning on breaking it down to rescape it, hopefully will be half as nice as yours! I purchased a 20" finnex fugeray planted+ not sure if i should hang after seeing this.
difrent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:47 AM   #11
dru
Algae Grower

Love your scape
dru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:03 AM   #12
STS_1OO
Planted Member

Thanks, appreciate the kind comments.

But it's far easier than it looks once you get the CO2, light and fert setup. I went through many trial and errors though so hopefully I can help other folks avoid pitfalls I fell into - much like others did for me when I started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatfish View Post
Pretty sweet nano. How big do hose bumble bee gobys get?
I love these grumpy looking guys. They stay small, less than an 1" long.

Quote:
I purchased a 20" finnex fugeray planted+ not sure if i should hang after seeing this.
A 20" finnex led is going to put out much more PAR than a 16". I made the mistake of setting the 16" on top of my tank cover (putting 30-35 PAR at substrate level) without injected CO2 nor short photo periods. It resulted in a viscous battle with BBA and I had to raise the lights, get CO2 running, and as a consequence of the other two, regular ferting as well.

If you don't choose to raise the 20", then it's imperative that you start with a CO2 setup. Otherwise it's an open invitation for algae to setup shop in your tank at which point you'll be forced to raise them anyways, but also continue to battle the algae (much like I still do with BBA - but in very small areas). You may still need to limit your photoperiod to sub 8 hours.

So I suggest raising that light or starting with CO2 (ideally, you add pressurized CO2 injection regardless) and avoiding a big algae outbreak to begin with. You'll always have some algae - 100% of tanks do...it's a matter of how much it's held at bay and how much effort you end up having to keep it that way.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
JEFF9922
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)

That spec looks awsome I miss my spec v I had
JEFF9922 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:09 PM   #14
STS_1OO
Planted Member

Thanks! Yea it's a neat little tank with an aspect ratio that makes for some interesting scapes/scaping.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:00 AM   #15
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Love what you did with this tank. Any chance you can take a good shot of the hanging light you describe above? The one photo is a little hard to make out details.

I'm curious: 30-35 PAR puts this setup (before you raised it) on the very low end of Medium lighting. (descriptions on this forum put low light as generally 1-29, medium as 30-79, high as 80+) I'm surprised you had so much trouble with algae, with light that barely counts as medium. Perhaps something to do with the smaller tank?

I'm dying to try to talk my wife into a Spec V for the bedroom chest of drawers. Should fit nicely across the top, along the wall. And I'd love a second tank at home, this one for a Betta and a couple African Dwarf Frogs... plus a pretty 'scape! (given the nature of the occupants, though, I'll be keeping the lid in place) I'll push for it when we get back from vacation in a couple of months...