100 Gallon Planted Display Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-22-2014, 03:40 AM   #1
Adri.
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

100 Gallon Planted Display Tank

CURRENT PICTURE OF TANK, 7/21/14

I eventually gave up trying to keep my 100 gallon Eartheater(Geophagus Altifrons) tank planted. Once I figured out a way to keep them from digging up plants, they retaliated by digging AROUND the plants.
I sold the Eartheaters and everything else in the tank. All that remained was the sand, driftwood, and rocks, which were all torn out after the move to a new house. I am starting from scratch and this time, I'm going planted.
I have never had a good light on this tank. It's always been some unknown brand, low-light, large fixture. One white bulb on the left side, one purple bulb on the right. I never liked it much but never bought a new one. Priorities, y'know. The light started dying a few months ago when only one side at a time would work. A few weeks ago, it finally gave out and would no longer turn on at all. After some saving and researching, I settled on the Finnex Planted Plus, which arrived at the post office today. I ran over there as soon as I saw it had arrived, I was so excited to have a REAL light on this tank! And man, I was not at all disappointed. For the first time I'm seeing my 100 gallon in all of it's beautiful glory. And I promise a lot of pictures for you guys! This thread will be a log of my journey into having a large, planted tank. For the first time, I'm also owning small fish.

Tank/Techy Stuff
Tank: 5ft, 100 gallons
Filtration: Fluval FX5
Lighting: 48" Finnex Planted Plus
Ferts: None YET
Co2: None - maybe some day.
Inhabitants:
35 or so Neon Tetras
9 Emerald Green Cory Cats - more will be added
3 Platies - I don't know the name of their color variety
3 Ghost Shrimp
1 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
1 Odessa Barb - the others died in an accident in another tank a long time ago.
More fish will come soon enough. I'm really liking Tetras and Rasboras.

Plants:
At the moment, only 1 large Anubias Nana. More plants are being shipped next week.

First things first. This is how the tank has looked since the light decided to call it quits. I had a dark, dull aquarium for several weeks.

A comparison between the old fixture and the new Planted Plus. You can see how huge and bulky the old one was!

And now, the more exciting stuff...the start of my tank. The hardscape is pretty much complete - I'm keeping it simple.

Some of the inhabitants!

Emerald Green Cory Cats

Platy

Odessa Barb

Ghost Shrimp

A short video of the tank. Looks best when viewed in HD!
The cories are very hyper, I hope they calm down once there's more plants in the tank.

When it comes to putting together a tank, I don't plan anything for more than a couple minutes, and even then it's only in my head. I go with the flow and it has always served me well when it comes to aquascapes. My favorite scapes have always just been thrown together, however I do keep in mind the "rules" of what makes a scape and photograph(many of the same rules for photography also apply to scaping) look good when I'm putting it together. I have so many ideas running through my head for this tank, I'm very excited for my first shipment of plants to get here next week! The tank should be densely planted by the time it's done. It's just going to take a lot of saving. I get $40 a month so it could take a while It's always worth it in the end!
Stay tuned for more updates! I have high expectations for this tank.

Last edited by Adri.; 07-22-2014 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: Update
Adri. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #2
Adri.
Planted Tank Obsessed

Does anyone know why the Cory Cats constantly feel the need to swim around full speed? They never settle down.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
rustbucket
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lovely, I think you'll really enjoy small fish. I like the hardscape as well, reminds me of a beach.

Not sure why the corys do that, perhaps their just not settled in yet. If all your levels are fine I wouldn't worry. When first got my corydora they swam up and down in the corner, but they are very chill now that they are settled in and I have a much bigger school then I use to. I'm sure they'll calm down.
rustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #4
Adri.
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you! So far I am very much enjoying the small fish.
I splurged today and couldn't be happier. My local Petco takes better care of their fish than most LFS, and today I went there for an Albino Bristlenose Pleco, and came home with:
2 Albino Bristlenose Plecos
9 Gold Barbs
8 Roseline Sharks
2 Narrow Leaf Java Ferns

The guy there told me that they were having a 50% off sale for live fish and aquarium plants, so I took advantage of it. I thought there was only 1 ABP left, but said I'd take both when two fell off the rock into the net.
The Gold Barbs I had been planning on buying, but not today. Couldn't pass up the great deal so I got them today.
The Roseline Sharks...well, I have admired them for years. However, at $10 each I could never justify buying them as it would be so expensive. Bring the price down to about $4.75 each though, and it is much more affordable. I bought every one they had, 8 in total but he only charged me for 7 since one of them is a runt. Albeit healthy, but still a runt. I also got 4 Ghost Shrimp from my LFS and the owner didn't even charge me. It's just been a fantastic day in the world of fishkeeping, for me at least!

The Gold Barbs and Roseline Sharks are schooling together, very interesting to watch but I assume the behavior will stop once they've settled in. I plan on buying more Gold Barbs once they have more in stock. The Gold Barbs are so pretty and add the perfect touch of bright color to the tank.

Pictures of the new inhabitants will come as soon as I run them through editing

Thanks for your input on the Cories - hopefully they'll settle down soon!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:46 AM   #5
Adri.
Planted Tank Obsessed

Roseline Sharks

Gold Barbs

Roseline Sharks & Gold Barbs schooling together

The Albino Bristlenose Pleco didn't want it's picture taken.

My Dwarf Gourami, who I wasn't able to get a picture of until today

And two of the Neons

Updated video of tank with new fish & I also added the Narrow Leaf Java Ferns to the driftwood on the right.

Last edited by Adri.; 02-23-2014 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: add video
Old 02-23-2014, 03:22 AM   #6
mott
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Nice tank and your photography skills are off the chart!
Love the gourami shot!

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:27 AM   #7
Adri.
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you very much! I still have a lot to learn when it comes to macro photography but I'm getting there
Old 02-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
Adri.
Planted Tank Obsessed

New additions: 1 large Bamboo Shrimp, a second Dwarf Gourami(this one is a Flame Dwarf Gourami - with this large of a tank my two males should be just fine together), 4 Hifin Blue Coral Variatus, 3 Hifin Pineapple Mickey Mouse Platy
I have been needing some fish that stay in the top level of the tank, but none of the common ones really appealed to me. However, I noticed that the Variatus and Platies swim at all levels but are often at the top, so I figured I'd give a few of those a try and hopefully they'll stick to the top. If not, I'll figure something else out for top-dwelling fish.

I wonder if my cories were just being hyper because they were really hungry. I imagine they never got fed well at the pet store as anything else would have eaten their food first. Now that they've had a few good sized meals they've calmed down a LOT, at the moment they're all just hanging out at the bottom of the tank.

I'm trying to stock the tank as quickly as possible so that I don't lose the beneficial bacteria I had from the fish in here before. I had a heavy stock load with the Eartheaters, so I think it's best to introduce all the new fish quickly. I'm not quarantining fish because EVERY time I quarantine, I lose a good number of the fish. Introduce them directly to the main tank and I never lose even one. Introducing them all quickly means if there IS a disease outbreak it will only be one time, and the entire tank can be treated before it goes planted next week. So far though, all fish are healthy with no signs of problems. Fingers crossed that it stays that way! I think I'm about done adding fish, though I know I'm going to add more Gold Barbs once they're restocked. I would really like to add some small schools(10-15) of Rummynose Tetras and Cherry Barbs, but I'm not sure if this would be too much for the tank. Remember it's running a mature FX5(with an FX6 motor)
Current stock in the 100 gallon:
About 35 Neon Tetras
9 Gold Barbs
9 Emerald Green Cories
8 Roesline Sharks
6 Platies
4 Variatus
2 Dwarf Gouramis
1 Odessa Barb
1 Bamboo Shrimp

What do you guys think, would the addition of Cherry Barbs and/or Rummynose Tetras be too much? I've never stocked with small fish before so I have no idea.

Last edited by Adri.; 02-23-2014 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: add info
Old 02-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
anfield
Algae Grower

Those gold barbs are schooling nicely. Need to look into thsoe
anfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
Adri.
Planted Tank Obsessed

They do seem to school pretty well. I'm not sure if they'll spread out more or not when they're more settled in, but either way I like them a lot!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #11
Adri.
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have not yet finished editing all the pictures of the new fish yet, however I just couldn't wait to share this one. I am so in love with this picture I took of one of the new Platies!

Old 02-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #12
Oto Guy
Algae Grower

The roseline sharks look really cool.
Oto Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #13
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (54/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri. View Post
I have not yet finished editing all the pictures of the new fish yet, however I just couldn't wait to share this one. I am so in love with this picture I took of one of the new Platies!

That's a good one, what's the exif?
houseofcards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #14
Adri.
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
That's a good one, what's the exif?
ISO 3200, f/4, 1/80, taken with Tokina 100mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oto Guy View Post
The roseline sharks look really cool.
They are. I absolutely love them, I've admired them for years and never thought I'd be able to afford them. I'm not at all disappointed
Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 AM   #15
adive
Planted Member

Anyone looking for schooling/shoaling (sorry I havent tried to understand the diff b/w those 2 ), I would recommend rummy nose tetras hands down. I see no harm in adding 7-8.
adive is offline   Reply With Quote