Advice Needed - 20 gal plant choices
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 07-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #1
pervin7

PTrader: (0/0%)

Advice Needed - 20 gal plant choices

Total newb here. Graduating from a gravel substrate, many guppy, a few anubias tank to a new setup in a 20 gallon high (gotta fill in the empty tanks).

I'm making a first attempt at a low-tech heavily planted tank. Will decide on fish species after plants are setup, and work around the plants.

Setup:
tank: 20g tall
substrate: eco-complete (may top off with sand...anticipating corys)
lighting/photoperiod: will adjust to plants
CO2: will never add
ferts planned: biweekly dosage of 1/4 tsp Seachem Equilibrium, 1/8 tsp potassium nitrate, 1/32 teaspoon potassium mono phosphate

What kinds of plants should I be looking at in the foreground, background, and everything in between? My goal is for the substrate to be at least 90% planted, and a carpet of something near the front.

Help!
pervin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #2
dukydaf
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to dukydaf

Oh I think the planning process is a delightful part of aquariums. I would suggest first thinking about the aquascape. It is a good thing you decided you want a low maintenance. Plants that grow in this type of aquariums are many. So next step is to design a look for your aquarium.
Get some inspiration from the tank journals here, contest pictures, youtube videos.
Draw a sketch

Do you use Rock or/and Wood?
How many rocks ? How large ? What type ?
Should the substrate be sloped ?
What will your aquascape look like when all the plants are grown ?

After all this is done, you can choose what plants you use to construct your design. Sometimes you will need to change your design or evolve it in time.

After you thought of all this and have a rough sketch show it here and we can suggest what plants work.
dukydaf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #3
pervin7

Smile

dukydaf - would love to hear your suggestions.

I'm not an artist by any means (tried sketching...didn't make too much sense), so here goes:

- I will likely use either 1 big stones and some medium sized stones and flank plants off of that, or just use a piece of driftwood for the same purpose

- I am envisioning that the substrate be a little sloped

- I think I'm going for the low tech version of the nature aquarium... Here are some pictures that pretty much show what I hope the end product looks like:

http://freshwateraquariumplants.com/...gesontank3.jpg
http://www.theaquariumguide.com/wp-c...ngle-style.jpg
http://www.sudeepmandal.com/images/a...s1smalllh7.jpg

I especially like the effect of tall/wide plants in the backgroud and a carpet in the foreground.

Thanks for your help!
pervin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
dukydaf
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to dukydaf

So plants that survive with no CO2 injection and fit your style
Vallisneria sp.
H. corymbosa
Egeria densa
Bacopa caroliniana
Wisteria
Anubias sp.
Java fern.
Mosses.
Echinodorus amazonicus
Cryptocoryne
Eleocharis acicularis
Sagitaria subulata

Keep in mind Echinodorus and Cryptocoryne like a rich substrate. Please search on the internet for details about them.
Here is a quick top down sketch. I don't know the exact dimensions of your aquarium but I assumed...

The wood can have some Anubias and Java fern on it. It should look like a combination between first and second picture, with the foreground from the last photo. Feel free to change everything. Please ask any questions.
dukydaf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.