Video of new Southeast Asia tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 10-13-2014, 04:37 AM   #1
FishBR
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Video of new Southeast Asia tank

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and wanted to introduce my new 48g Southeast Asia tank. It is a low tech tank, with no CO2 or ferts. All plants and fish (with the exception of Scarlet Badis, which comes from India) are from SA. I hope you enjoy the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z-9l8uYwYg

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Best,

Mauro
FishBR is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
discuspaul
Planted Tank Guru

Beautiful tank, Mauro, and I love your substrate - what is it ?
The tank looks like it would be perfect for discus too, but I'm sure that's not your objective. I really do prefer a clean/fresh, simple, minimalist approach - just as you have achieved there.
Very interesting stocking approach too - Celestial Pearl Danios are one of my favorite fish. The may tend to be a little shy, but once they mature somewhat and are fully comfortable with their surroundings, you'll marvel at the intensity of their coloration !
Thanks for sharing,
Paul
discuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
FishBR
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Beautiful tank, Mauro, and I love your substrate - what is it ?
The tank looks like it would be perfect for discus too, but I'm sure that's not your objective. I really do prefer a clean/fresh, simple, minimalist approach - just as you have achieved there.
Very interesting stocking approach too - Celestial Pearl Danios are one of my favorite fish. The may tend to be a little shy, but once they mature somewhat and are fully comfortable with their surroundings, you'll marvel at the intensity of their coloration !
Thanks for sharing,
Paul
Thank you, Paul. I was setting up this tank for a wild Cuipeua discus pair, but as you know they did not survive the trip from Brazil and the quarantine period in a friend's house. So I decided to make it into a community tank. Yes, I am hoping that once well established the CPDs will color up nicely. They were very shy in the beginning but are finally eating. The substrate is pool filter sand from Home Depot.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #4
Big O
Raider for life

PTrader: (35/100%)
Default More Panda Garras

Love your tank. I think you need more Panda Garras. The more the merrier, cuz they will school. And ther my favorite.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
FishBR
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big O View Post
Love your tank. I think you need more Panda Garras. The more the merrier, cuz they will school. And ther my favorite.
Thank you. I love Panda Garras too. I got five Pandas but unfortunately lost one of them. They are notorious for climbing out of the tank, which should always have a lid. One of them crawled out of the tank through the one inch space that I have for the intake of the canister filter
Old 10-22-2014, 05:49 AM   #6
FishBR
Algae Grower

Quick Update and question about stocking.

The tank is doing well. Some plants are thriving, while others died out. Interesting that I had issues with plants that are considered easy to keep, including wisteria and Java Fern. Yesterday, a sad development. Woke up to find a fish in the floor. It was a female blue panchax. I was surprised to see it was alive and put it back in tank. But it died 14 hours later. Similarly to the panda garra, she jumped though a very small gap in the lid for the outage of the canister filter. Oh well ...

The question about stocking. I currently have in the 48g:

2 Pearl Gouramis (Trichopodus leerii), 4 Panda Garras (Garra flavatra), 8 Raboras Harlequin (Trigonostigma heteromorpha), 7 Pearl Celestial Danios (Danio margaritatus), 3 Blue Panchax (Aplocheilus panchax), 4 Scarlet Badios (Dario dario) and a pair or wild Imbellis Betta.

Any suggestions of fish from Southeast Asia to add? Would dwarf gouramis fit well or are they aggressive? Other Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mauro
Old 10-22-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
Tributary
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I just wanted to say this is a beautiful and inspiring tank. I love its simplicity and the selection of fish is great.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #8
FishBR
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tributary View Post
I just wanted to say this is a beautiful and inspiring tank. I love its simplicity and the selection of fish is great.
Thank you! I appreciate that. I was just thinking about adding more color, may be some red/orange/yellow. That is why I am considering gouramis, including dwarf, neon blue dwarf, flame dwarf, sparkling or honey gourami.

Are these peaceful? Should they be kept in groups or just one fish? Are any of these aggressive? All the fish in the tank right now are compatible and there is no aggression going on. I did not want to disrupt that. Any recommendation of gourami or any other SE fish?
Old 10-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #9
Tributary
Algae Grower

I have kept dwarf gouramis and an opaline gourami decades ago. They were beautiful fish but very territorial, particularly the opaline.

If I were you, I would just add more harlequins. If you want orange color, you could try a school of glowlight danios (they're Burmese I think). Either way, I will be interested to see how your tank develops...
Old 10-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #10
geekdad
Algae Grower

+1 for panda garras.

Fun fish to watch.
geekdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #11
philipraposo1982
Wannabe Guru

Get 2 more female pearls, you won't regret it. It will spread the male aggression nicely
And keep things calmer
Old 10-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
FishBR
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tributary View Post
I have kept dwarf gouramis and an opaline gourami decades ago. They were beautiful fish but very territorial, particularly the opaline.

If I were you, I would just add more harlequins. If you want orange color, you could try a school of glowlight danios (they're Burmese I think). Either way, I will be interested to see how your tank develops...

I gave up the idea of dwarf gouramis. They can be somewhat aggressive, including to my wild betta. Glowlight danios look fantastic, but I think I have enough small schooling fish (I donít want a tank that looks crowded).

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post
+1 for panda garras.

Fun fish to watch.

I will try to get at least 3 more. The problem is that LFS here in New Orleans never carry them and I donít want to spend more money with shipping costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
Get 2 more female pearls, you won't regret it. It will spread the male aggression nicely
And keep things calmer

I was considering getting some Denisonís barbs (red-line torpedo), but they are a schooling fish that should be kept in groups of at least 6. My 48g is too small for that. So I think I will stick to pearls as the center fish for this tank and I will get at least one more female to spread the aggression.

Thank you all for the feedback.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:55 PM   #13
geekdad
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBR View Post

I will try to get at least 3 more. The problem is that LFS here in New Orleans never carry them and I donít want to spend more money with shipping costs.
imperialtropicals.com has free shipping if you order at least $30 worth.
geekdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #14
FishBR
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post
imperialtropicals.com has free shipping if you order at least $30 worth.
Thank you for hint!

One question: Can I keep 4 Denison Barbs in this 48g tank? What would you do, take the 2 pearl gouramis out and have a school of 6 Denison Barbs? Any suggestions?
Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #15
FishBR
Algae Grower

My tendency right now is to get rid of the two pearl gouramis and get 6 Denison Barbs (Roseline Sharks). What do you all think?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.