What do you think?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Navyblue
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What do you think?

Often the times, when I am looking at some of the stuffs out there that are purported as art I found myself scratching my head and wondering how on earth is this cr@p considered art. :p

This time, I am undecided if this is art or cr@p. For me this feels like pouring paint buckets onto canvas, but the outcome is kind of cool to me.

What do you think? Would you keep it?
Navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
JJVanier
Planted Member

The perception of beauty is subjective.

Art works the same way.

IMHO, that tank has a lot of potential, but currently does not fit my aesthetic.
JJVanier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

If you could show a picture from the front, that would help identify some of the stuff in it. From what I can see, you've tossed in some plants. Is that a floating piece of wood?

Anyway, the pieces of wood has some good potential if you arranged both of them on the substrate with plants arranged behind it and in front of it. There are other possibilities but you'd need more consideration of plants for those to work.
Solcielo lawrencia is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
Navyblue
Algae Grower

My initial plan was pretty much like you said. I found the woods' shapes interesting, and should have quite a few possibilities in arrangement. And I have the plants around them (instead of on them).

However things do not go according to plan. One of the wood wouldn't sink, then I thought the floating arrangement looks good to me too.

I was hopping to get the moss to carpet neatly, but of course it doesn't. The irregularities would suit a wild look more than a garden look. So wild it is.

Then, the HOB filter I got has its pump in the water (instead of out) and is more obtrusive than I imagined (I hate visible equipments), so I have to cover it up with with the moss.

And then the moss wouldn't stay down on the front part of the tank, and hence the half floating moss with the exposed substrate in the foreground.

There is only one plant in there, spiky moss. The hornwort is just there for nutrient export until the moss' growth kick off. I might have to ditch the moss and use something like hornwort behind the wood. That would get a more conventional looking tank.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

Did you boil the wood before you put it in the tank?
Did you tie the moss to the wood?

I'd angle the substrate and put the main wood a little closer to the middle and break off Pinocchio's nose. It would look better.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #6
Navyblue
Algae Grower

I never boil any wood that I put in my tanks. In this case, I think I'll keep it floating. I hope it will keep floating, or else I'll suspend it with a string.

No I did not tie the moss to the wood, actually I don't want the moss covering the wood, I think it is a waste for such nice wood.

Actually I tried angling the substrate, but it got messy and complicates my effort to partially bury the filter intake (it's quite long).

I think I might get rid at least most of the moss, get new plants, and start over.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
Navyblue
Algae Grower

Dumped the moss.

Not sure what the plant is, I think it's ambulia.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #8
JJVanier
Planted Member

Wow, a night and day difference. I really like this new scape. As you slant the gravel, the depth of the tank increases, 1 inch at the front, and 2 -3 inches at the back would increase the impact.

Either way, big improvement.
JJVanier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

I'd move the wood just slightly to the left of center. It would occupy more space and it would look better.

As for moss, you only need to add some of it to some of the branches. This way, it will attach and add some character.

And level out the front substrate line so it will frame the tank better, like how pictures are rectangular.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
Navyblue
Algae Grower

With a tiny tank like this, a little bump on the substrate made a huge difference in feel, especially if you look up close. I started with a more drastic slope, which I think looks good from a distance, but when looked up close, it has a "forced" quality to it, not very natural. So I reverted to a subtler slope.

The position of the "tree" is no accident, that is to hide the pump. I also like the negative space.

I am also considering putting something on the right foreground, may be a marimo ball, or may be even a Chinese ceramic miniature table and stool set. The scene reminds me of Chinese paintings or parks. But it might also ruin it.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyblue View Post
With a tiny tank like this, a little bump on the substrate made a huge difference in feel, especially if you look up close. I started with a more drastic slope, which I think looks good from a distance, but when looked up close, it has a "forced" quality to it, not very natural. So I reverted to a subtler slope.

The position of the "tree" is no accident, that is to hide the pump. I also like the negative space.

I am also considering putting something on the right foreground, may be a marimo ball, or may be even a Chinese ceramic miniature table and stool set. The scene reminds me of Chinese paintings or parks. But it might also ruin it.
Gorgeous. Some ground cover might look nice too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.