Critique my rock layout please :) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-20-2014, 01:53 AM   #31
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
What girls, all the see is the guy waving in the back.

Focal points and underage girls in bikinis in the same sentence. This thread will be closed in a few minutes.
My eye was drawn from the focal point, left to right to those beautiful.....Yachts

Old 02-20-2014, 03:12 AM   #32
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
The V is negative space. As a rule, negative space is never a focal point since by definition, there is no subject in negative spaces.
Rules are meant to be broken. Art is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Seriously, I think the negative space is an excellent focal point and think OPs layout is very nice. Of course, I must have horrible art skills because I tend to disagree with most "art experts" and like my own thing. I understand there are guidelines but I wouldn't agree with calling them rules.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:38 AM   #33
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmustang1 View Post
Rules are meant to be broken. Art is subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Seriously, I think the negative space is an excellent focal point and think OPs layout is very nice. Of course, I must have horrible art skills because I tend to disagree with most "art experts" and like my own thing. I understand there are guidelines but I wouldn't agree with calling them rules.
Agreed. I've been cracking up about this thread since this morning. OP asked for a simple critique of his stone placement and somehow it's become a thread about how to split the atom. I like your stone placement Charlie, should make for a nice mountain scape As for the elephant in the room...this isn't the Louvre for gods sake. I highly doubt the op is trying to enter an international competition with this tank. Neither am I or 95% of the other people on this forum. I personally do this for FUN and because quite simply, I just enjoy it. I didn't start keeping planted aquariums to follow the rule of thirds, what is and isn't a good focal point or any of that other noise. Just a guy trying to grow some plants, breed some shrimp and feed some fish. Just sayin.... It's not that complicated

Last edited by The Trigger; 02-20-2014 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: Error
The Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:08 AM   #34
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (49/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigger View Post
Agreed. I've been cracking up about this thread since this morning. OP asked for a simple critique of his stone placement and somehow it's become a thread about how to split the atom. I like your stone placement Charlie, should make for a nice mountain scape As for the elephant in the room...this isn't the Louvre for gods sake. I highly doubt the op is trying to enter an international competition with this tank. Neither am I or 95% of the other people on this forum. I personally do this for FUN and because quite simply, I just enjoy it. I didn't start keeping planted aquariums to follow the rule of thirds, what is and isn't a good focal point or any of that other noise. Just a guy trying to grow some plants, breed some shrimp and feed some fish. Just sayin.... It's not that complicated
I agree that if it makes you happy to look at then go with it. After all you will be the one looking at it every day.

@ Solcielo You have a way of coming into threads and posting your opinion like its the one and only way. I have seen this over and over again happening in several threads and between different forums. It's great if you want to give your opinion but at the same time remember it's still just your opinion. Art is completely subjective and being the artist that you say you are I would think that you know this. I have seen many works or art that I think look like crap and look like they were done by a 5 year old but that doesn't mean that others may not enjoy or feel a connection to that piece of art. I imagine that most artist perform their art as a form of therapy for themselves first and foremost and if people are drawn to it then that is a bonus. I don't think any artist does anything looking for the approval of others but as a mean to express themselves. While your critiquing everyone else's (tank, regulator, reactor) I would love to see some of your handy work whether that be your tank or even some of your art. I will give you my honest critique and maybe gain some knowledge from someone that speaks as if their an expert on every subject.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:22 AM   #35
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ua hua View Post
I agree that if it makes you happy to look at then go with it. After all you will be the one looking at it every day.

@ Solcielo You have a way of coming into threads and posting your opinion like its the one and only way. I have seen this over and over again happening in several threads and between different forums. It's great if you want to give your opinion but at the same time remember it's still just your opinion. Art is completely subjective and being the artist that you say you are I would think that you know this. I have seen many works or art that I think look like crap and look like they were done by a 5 year old but that doesn't mean that others may not enjoy or feel a connection to that piece of art. I imagine that most artist perform their art as a form of therapy for themselves first and foremost and if people are drawn to it then that is a bonus. I don't think any artist does anything looking for the approval of others but as a mean to express themselves. While your critiquing everyone else's (tank, regulator, reactor) I would love to see some of your handy work whether that be your tank or even some of your art. I will give you my honest critique and maybe gain some knowledge from someone that speaks as if their an expert on every subject.
Hahaha. Good point. I was actually thinking of this earlier. I'd also love to see some of solcielos work.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #36
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

I hereby declare any aquascape that doesn't adhere to the '251 Rules of Art Composition and Design' illegal. These 'illegal works' can cause serious eye and brain issues as the eye goes in the opposite direction of the brain due to poor composition.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #37
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I hereby declare any aquascape that doesn't adhere to the '251 Rules of Art Composition and Design' illegal. These 'illegal works' can cause serious eye and brain issues as the eye goes in the opposite direction of the brain due to poor composition.
I actually just got back from the hospital due to a partial brain aneurysm. Doctors believed it was caused by staring at pictures of scantily clad teenage girls on a beach with a guy waving in the background.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #38
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I actually just got back from the hospital due to a partial brain aneurysm. Doctors believed it was caused by staring at pictures of scantily clad teenage girls on a beach with a guy waving in the background.
That sounds serious, sorry to hear that. I'm pretty sure the cure is not to look at any photo bombs or aquascapes since most are indistinguishable.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #39
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
That sounds serious, sorry to hear that. I'm pretty sure the cure is not to look at any photo bombs or aquascapes since most are indistinguishable.
Yeah the prognosis isn't good. They say they used the rule of thirds to determine there was a poor focal point of negative space in one of my arteries that leads to the brain. This in turn, triggered the artery to rupture in this negative space. Apparently I have 3 weeks to stop gazing at doves or death is imminent. Better start saying my goodbyes...............man this thread is getting shut down soon. Been waiting for Darkblade since yesterday lol

Last edited by The Trigger; 02-20-2014 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Error
The Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #40
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (49/100%)

Quote:
Been waiting for Darkblade since yesterday lol
There is no need to shut the op's thread down as long as it can be kept civil. I would still love to see some of Solcielo's work (tanks, regulators or art). It's only fair to be able to critique the one always doing the critiquing.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #41
Cardinal's Keeper
Planted Member

PTrader: (28/100%)

Quote:
I would still love to see some of Solcielo's work (tanks, regulators or art). It's only fair to be able to critique the one always doing the critiquing.

Same here, but...

Those that can't do , teach. Those that can't teach, preach..
Cardinal's Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #42
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
There is no need to shut the op's thread down as long as it can be kept civil. I would still love to see some of Solcielo's work (tanks, regulators or art). It's only fair to be able to critique the one always doing the critiquing.
Agree completely.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #43
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

Not all judges of 'art' are artists themselves. Ever hear Simon Cowell sing? LOL. Also I believe there are some judges in the aquascaping contests that aren't actually accomplished aquascapers themselves.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #44
BeastMaster
Darth Rimless

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Redirect

Back on point, I really like the look. Gives the impression of a mountain pass. Saw this scape in your tank journal thread and it's progressing nicely. Good luck & keep updating.
Eheim Pimp #540 Finnex Member #11 ADA Gentleman #6 60F Club 12G Club 60P Club BeastMaster Project Tanks
BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #45
Charlieeex3
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thanks beastmaster I surely will keep on updating. I usually post a picture when it's been a month, or when I add something new to the tank! I'm really excited to see what it looks like in a couple months