jobes fertilizers
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 03-01-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
Anonymous
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

When do I use these? I saw them today at lowes, but didint know what kind to get? The whole rating sytem confused me. Any help is appreciated. Im also going to go witht he profile and play sand as my substrate..so i ever have to replace the profile?

thanks
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2004, 05:04 AM   #2
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

The only Jobes ones that will work well in planted tanks are the ones for Palms & Ferns, the others contain too much phosphates, urea, etc...

You just push them deep into the substrate every ~6 inches & replace when used up many months from now.
Daemonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:36 AM   #3
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've read about people using the ones for beautiful flowers that contain 4% phosphate (2 % more than the ferns ones) with success. They just chop them up to 1/4-1/3 of the original sticks and push them deep in the substate.
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:31 PM   #4
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Actually if you look at one type of stick and it has a P ratio of say 6 and then next one has a P ratio of 8 many people would think that's a 2% difference. But actually it's a 33% increase in the amount of P.

Or in your case it's a 100% assuming the other sticks have a P ration of 2 and the ones you are using have a P ration of 4.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 12:40 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I use the 13-4-5 Jobe's sticks for "Beautiful House Plants" and I still have to dose Fleet Enema twice a week. The urea seems to have a more immediate effect, as I usually see a spurt in algae growth the week after dosing Jobe's. Eventually the algae recedes and the rooted plants over the Jobe's take off.