Newb with questions.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #1
Gilraen_Took

PTrader: (0/0%)

Newb with questions.

Well, I've had my tank up for a while, and it has been planted for just as long, but it just doesn't look nice. . . I'd really like to re-do most of it. I just don't know how(and haven't figured it out in a year :p) I just don't know how to work with what I've got, I guess, to make it look good, and was wondering if I could get suggestions? It's a 60 gallon tank. And I put the thread in the low tech area since I have to go pretty low tech because I don't have a lot of money to play with the tank with.

First, I know I HAVE to get my substrate changed. I've got 1 bag of fluorite over a layer of potting soil which is all under a layer of sand. Around 4-5" total of substrate. I want to make it look nicer and be better for my plants. I was thinking either fluorite or schultz's aquasoil(whichever is cheaper) but don't know how much of either to get to compare prices.

For light(I can't really afford more) I have 1 65 watt pc bulb over each side of the tank. So 130 watts altogether.

I've got a lot of fish in it. 11 neon tetras, 1 male swordtail, 1 harlequin rasbora(I know, he's by himself. I can't seem to keep more than one alive at a time) 4 white clouds, 8 von rio tetras, 12 cory cats, 5 khuli loaches, 1 clown pleco and a lot of guppies(mostly fry, so most won't really ever get fully grown).

As for plants, I've got a lot of crypt wendtiis, a few sprigs of moneywort, a single sprig of red ludwigia, a good bit of dwarf sword, a bit of water clover(I think it is quadrifolia?) some wisteria which I'm not a fan of, a(somewhat hidden) tiger lotus, some corkscrew vals, a water onion and 2 unidentified sword-like plants. I got them as melon swords(well, as one melon sword, it's since split one time) but it doesn't look anything like one to me.

Anyway. I know I want to ditch the wisteria. But that's about it. The only thing I know for absolutely sure I want to keep is my little crypt forest(well, the plants at least ). I'd kinda like to keep the wendtiis and possibly some stem plants, but don't know how it'd look. Or what to use(the moneywort loves my tank. And I like the look of the ludwigia, and of bacopa carolinia, if that helps any.)

If anyone wants to ask anything about it, go ahead. And if anyone has ideas, I'm all ears

That's what it looked like when I set up the aquascaping.

This(sadly neglected thing) is what it looks like now. A couple/few months of trying to let it "grow in" later. The sword-ish plants in the center usually look better than that.
Gilraen_Took is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
bastalker
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Hi ya Gil..Man it dont look to bad at all! I would keep the wisteria cause its just such a nitrate sponge. Let it all grow into a jungle then thin it out an scape it the way ya want.

I would add some hard scape to it though in the form of driftwood or rocks.

tc
Mark
Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Looks pretty good! Part of getting past that 'not knowing what to do' phase is just moving things and see what comes of it, you'll learn your plants more when you move them around each other. Other than that, you've wound up in the right spot, so move along into the forum, you'll snowball info.

From the looks of the pic, you could scoop some of the foreground substrate out and throw it in the back to add more depth to the visual. low growers don't need a deep sub. That way, you can bend down and easily catch a shot that shows the bottom of the water's surface as well as the substrate that rises to the back.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.