Co2 tubing help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-17-2014, 05:47 AM   #1
Subtletanks91
Suspended

PTrader: (35/100%)

Co2 tubing help

One of my customers just came in today and gave me his fluval 20g co2 kit, a random diffuser which I'm replacing, and a full cartridge.

I had some extra co2 tubing from when I bought my gla regulator and I cut off a piece to use for this one. The problem I'm having is that the tubing is so rigid when I hang the cartridge on the back of my fluval spec, and put the tubing on the diffuser and the regulater, it won't sit right on the tank, the tubing is making a u shape in the tank itself instead of sitting straight up and down like a normal tank.

If I use airline will that be ok? Or is there co2 tubing that is more flexible than the one gla provided me with my regulator? I would like to be able to start using the co2 in this tank to counter the algae I've had since getting the finnex epoch. Yeah I know strong light small tank. But I wanted a carpeting plant and that's what I got it for. I've been using excel but it's not working the way co2 does.

Any suggestins guys. Aside from its a waste of money etc etc. it's a small tank. I'm not spending 200 on a paintball set up for a 1.6 gallon tank.

Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Mark Allred
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have just been using the standard clear tubing on a two tank setup for a year now. It is still soft and pliable.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
Subtletanks91
Suspended

Standard airline tubing?

Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Mark Allred
Planted Member

Yes, just the standard clear vinyl tubing.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have used standard airline tubing and also silicone airline tubing. Both work.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
Subtletanks91
Suspended

Why does everyone say to use co2 resistant tubing then.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
Mark Allred
Planted Member

Internet parrots.
Because some/most tubing is supposedly permeable to CO2, and you will see some gas loss through the tubing walls. I think it is a non-issue, given the very low pressures the tubing is being subjected to.
I see some places sell silicone tubing for CO2, but have read it is more perneable than the vinyl.

Last edited by Mark Allred; 02-17-2014 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: typo
Mark Allred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
Why does everyone say to use co2 resistant tubing then.
No particular reason. I have never advocated it. Some people assert that CO2 resistant tubing is less permeable to CO2 (which is true...) but the amount that is loss when using non-CO2 resistant tubing is essentially negligible.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #9
etk300ex
Algae Grower

air line is just fine!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Co2 is pretty much like any liquid or gas in that it finds the easy way out. If you have to go out through the wall or go out through the end of a tube that is nearly open, most will go out the end. Airline for me.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
DrGonzo
Bow ties are cool.

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you still want to use the tubing you have use a heat gun, hair dryer, or even soak it in hot water to make it more pliable. When it cools it'll harden and stay put.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #12
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I've read very detailed reports that standard tubing loses 20% of CO2. While CO2 is cheap my time to refill is not.

Could this be all made up? Sure, but to me the additional cost (basically $0) or effort (using a hair dryer to soften the tubing) is worth the peace of mind..
Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmustang1 View Post
I've read very detailed reports that standard tubing loses 20% of CO2. While CO2 is cheap my time to refill is not.

Could this be all made up? Sure, but to me the additional cost (basically $0) or effort (using a hair dryer to soften the tubing) is worth the peace of mind..
One thing that I always have to keep in mind is the way "facts" can be true but not paint the true picture. It is easy to slant this information to look like it matters. If you dig into the "facts" as reported, you often find they are used by people who have a financial interest. That makes it suspect and we need to look closer. One way to slant the truth is by doing the measurements under test conditions which don't match the way we use the tubing.
One quick way to slant the results might be to test under really high pressure and a closed tube. If you put 100 PSI on a tube closed at the end, you will likely get far different results than if you use 30PSI and a diffuser at the end.

I don't know how the tests were done and really don't care because I don't depend on ads to be truthful. On my tests of airline done under very simple conditions, like sticking the tubing under water, I see no loss of CO2.
Just as a cross check, I asked a chemist at US Plastics for a recommendation. His company makes and sells many types of tubing and he could have recommended any of the common ones we use but his answer, after asking what conditions, was that it did not matter.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
etk300ex
Algae Grower

I find it hard to believe there are very detailed reports on the subject lol, let alone more than one. I'd be interested to see if there are however.

Even if, 20% of my co2 refill is $2. Air line $0.10/ft. CO2 proof $1/ft. I have two 25' lines. I'll risk it.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #15
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
One thing that I always have to keep in mind is the way "facts" can be true but not paint the true picture. It is easy to slant this information to look like it matters. If you dig into the "facts" as reported, you often find they are used by people who have a financial interest. That makes it suspect and we need to look closer. One way to slant the truth is by doing the measurements under test conditions which don't match the way we use the tubing.
One quick way to slant the results might be to test under really high pressure and a closed tube. If you put 100 PSI on a tube closed at the end, you will likely get far different results than if you use 30PSI and a diffuser at the end.

I don't know how the tests were done and really don't care because I don't depend on ads to be truthful. On my tests of airline done under very simple conditions, like sticking the tubing under water, I see no loss of CO2.
Just as a cross check, I asked a chemist at US Plastics for a recommendation. His company makes and sells many types of tubing and he could have recommended any of the common ones we use but his answer, after asking what conditions, was that it did not matter.
The thread was either on here or BR. I don't think the guy who did the math was in it for profit but he was referencing a website that manufactured tubing and used their permeation tables in his equations. Like I said, I'm not convinced but his math was sound and for the 3 feet of tubing I used it was either $1.49 for a package of 10' silicone tubing from the LFS or $1.50 for 3ft poly tubing from HD. To me it was a no brainer.