Decholorniator- Which is best? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-14-2004, 11:53 AM   #16
Ace
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to Ace Send a message via MSN to Ace Send a message via Yahoo to Ace

Good luck!

(I still stick with Hagen AquaPlus though)

80 g, Eheim Pro II w Hagen Surface Skimmer, TetraTec IN-1000, JBL Aquabasis and Sand subtrate,
1st 40w Lighting: 40W Marine Glo
2nd 80w Lighting: 2 40W Power Glo
3rd 80w Lighting: 2 40W Aqua Glo
Whole set of Azoo fertilizers
3.8 kg Pressurized co2 tank
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2004, 07:48 AM   #17
Dapple
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Dapple

I use plain ol' sodium thiosulfate on bigger tanks, and Genesis on the small ones since it's nice and easy, one drop a gallon. I rember reading that some of the various additives to water conditioners can actually be harmful in that they can clog gills by coating them. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the link I was looking for....
Ehiem pimp club #57!

1 29g Ehiem ECCO 2232
2 20g's Penguin 170
1 Eclipse 6
1 2g nano
1 12g nanocube

The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:52 PM   #18
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapple
I use plain ol' sodium thiosulfate on bigger tanks, and Genesis on the small ones since it's nice and easy, one drop a gallon. I rember reading that some of the various additives to water conditioners can actually be harmful in that they can clog gills by coating them. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the link I was looking for....
Yes, please provide these links if you find them. In this case, I think it's just a nonscientific knee-jerk overreaction to scientific information. A little bit of knowledge can indeed be dangerous.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:19 AM   #19
Dapple
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Dapple

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/rev-cond.htm Has a summary of various de-chlors and their ingredients....need to sit down and look for the orignal set of articles I saw tomorrow. I think I might have seen a referance at http://www.skepticalaquarist.com but that isn't loading right from this computer for some reason.

[/url]
Ehiem pimp club #57!

1 29g Ehiem ECCO 2232
2 20g's Penguin 170
1 Eclipse 6
1 2g nano
1 12g nanocube

The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Dapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:21 PM   #20
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've seen the first reference but unfortunately it's speculative, too. WetmanNY's site is great, too, but the articles there aren't immune to speculation and bias themselves. I admire erring on the side of caution with all substances added to the tank's water, but just like anything it can be taken to too great an extreme--particularly when it's not backed up by very much experience. I, personally, have never been able to observe any signs of irritation in my fish through the use of Prime, Stress Coat, Stress Zyme (yes, once upon a time I used this ineffective product), Tropica Master Grow, Flourish Iron, Flourish Excel, Flourish Potassium, Flourish, or MelaFix. I definitely have observed aberrant behavior following the use of Kent Pro Clear, Seachem Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer, and Seachem Discus Buffer and Neutral Regulator, all of which can be dangerous is used improperly and sometimes even when they are used properly. I've even seen fish quickly learn to avoid chomping on solid granules of potassium nitrate, potassium sulfate, and potassium chloride, but the effects have been limited to spitting out the chemical and swimming away. Water conditioners IME have been the most benign of additives I've used.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote