Decholorniator- Which is best?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-01-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to lokobreed

Hi

For the past year I switched from the run of the mill decholorniator to Aqua Safe, I am wondering if Aqua Safe is still one of the best decholrnator for all around, as decholrinating as well as nuetralizing the heavy metals present in the water as well as the other stuff it provides to the fish (providing a slime coating to help wounds heal and prtoect fish from abrasions)

Is it still one of the ebst, what is the best?

Also I have seen large filter type things that you fill up with tap water and it filters it and makes it good for the tank (does that elminate the need for aquasafe etc or do you still nedd that)

And what is better the filter type or liquid type (like aquasafe)

Thanks for all the help
:Lee
lokobreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2004, 04:12 AM   #2
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

It's me again Just make sure you buy one that can neutralize chloramine. Most areas have their tap water treated with chloramine which is part chlorine and part ammonia. The older dechlorinator can only remove chlorine. If you use those, you will remove the chlorine from chloramine and leave behind ammonia which is toxic for your fish. Those newer dechlor that can neutralize chloramine will continue the process by changing the ammonia to ammonium which is safe for fish.

I use Prime and AMquel.
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:36 AM   #3
Tonyd
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use Amquel because my "Assistant Aquarium Maintenance Engineer" is 2 1/2 years old and likes to play in the water change bucket as much as stir the water. The Amquel is nontoxic so I don't have to worry. I'm not sure about the others, maybe they are all safe?

Tony
Tonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:11 AM   #4
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks

Anyone else have opionions?

Like do you all use these http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...id=1755;pcid1= or just like Aquasafe/dechlorinator?
Old 03-02-2004, 12:24 PM   #5
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

I use Seachem Prime.

I would guess all the treatments are more or less benign. Otherwise they could harm the fish. But I would NOT want to drink any of them out of the bottle.

Tony, bucket? You still use a bucket?
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:30 PM   #6
CharlesP
Algae Grower

The main ingredient of any dechlor is sodium thiosulfate, and it will neutralize chlorine and in chloramine, will break the chlorine/ammonia bond, neurtralize the chlorine and free the ammonia.

Products like Prime and Amquel will also render the ammonia, released from chloramine, harmless...which is great if you don't have a cycled/established tank and filter. If your tank and filter is cycled, they should be able to take care of the very small quantity of ammonia that is released.

Prime and Amquel are probably the best products you can buy...but if you are doing lots of water changes or the amount of water in your water changes is very large...as in large tanks and ponds, then straight sodium thiosulfate is more economical. And as I said, as long as your filter is cycled, you should not have to worry about the small amounts of ammonia released from chloramines...the nitrifying bacteria will take care of it. You can buy bulk sodium thiosulfate very cheap...5 lbs will cost about $15-20 and will treat over 100,000 gallons.

Also to note, it's very, very, very hard to over dose using dechlor.

Charles
CharlesP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 11:37 PM   #7
Tonyd
Planted Tank Obsessed

LOL, I do still use a bucket. It's only a ten gallon in my daughter's room so one trip is all it takes. We do usually manage quite a mess though. :roll:

Tony
Old 03-03-2004, 01:43 AM   #8
Gomer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I've been using amquel and probably will continue to use it.

,...and I also use the bucket! I think now that I have a 29 and a 30g to water change, I suppose I should step up and get a python
Old 03-03-2004, 02:46 AM   #9
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yea I have a 1 gallon bucket they I use to fill up the tank so it tqakes forver, 55 fills of it to fill the tank up, what you all recommend if I get like a big thing that purifies it from a hose or something??

Thanks
Old 03-03-2004, 11:00 AM   #10
CharlesP
Algae Grower

I would recommend getting a device called a Python...it comes in lengths up to 50 ft.

You hook up one end to the kitchen faucet and the other end goes in the tank. You turn on the water and turn the switch one way, and it will drain the water out of your tank into your sink...turn the switch the other way and water from your faucet fills your tank...you can add dechlor as the water fills your tank.

Easy and simple to do water changes

Charles
Old 03-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #11
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If I bought the Python, when I do water changes and only take out a little water then filling i tback up I would have to go through a bucket correct?

Because placing faucet water through the pythin into the tank would not be deholorinated when entering the tank correct?

And with a large tank around the size of 150 gallons, isnt there some better method to remove and put back water after water changes without using a bucket and decholrinator
Old 03-03-2004, 05:13 PM   #12
CharlesP
Algae Grower

You don't need the bucket...turn your filter off, and just add the proper amount of dechlor to your tank as you fill it back up with the python from your faucet...the dechlor works almost instantly...after the tank is refilled...start your filter up.

Charles
Old 03-03-2004, 06:29 PM   #13
pedietz
Planted Member

I love all of the Seachem line of products...

but Seachem Prime has to be one of the worst smelling consumer products sold...

1 ml is all you need to dechlorinate gallons of water, but that 1 ml smells like 3 acres of hog farms.....

Wheew.

I use AP StressCoat...
pedietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 08:47 PM   #14
Tonyd
Planted Tank Obsessed

A one gallon bucket for a 55 gallon tank? :shock: That really is dedication to the hobby.

Tony
Old 03-14-2004, 01:08 AM   #15
jahysun
Algae Grower

I just bought a 500ml bottle of Prime to try out myself. The guy at my LFS said it was the greatest stuff and apparently this little 500ml bottle will last forever. He said he uses it on his marine tank as well and it doesnt overwork his protein skimmer. So i was thinking maybe this means I wont get that nasty film on top of my aquarium that I get using
Stress Coat along with Ammo-lock 2. Oh well hope I didnt waste the money Ill try it out tonight and see.
jahysun is offline   Reply With Quote