Circulation - a Google Find
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 02-14-2014, 03:52 AM   #1
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Circulation - a Google Find

NOTE: THIS IS A VIDEO OF A HI-TECH TANK

Er, I goofed on this one - it's a high-tech, but the information on water flow is still valid.

I am getting a new filter - should get it tomorrow - and I'm researching it on Google. I found this nice little video on the search water flow in planted aquarium. The link is

The fish look very comfortable, the plants are swaying a little, and the tank looks pretty big. I like this video.

Tank 1 v.2.0 10g; 10W x2 CFL; Fluval U2; MGOCPM
the Fraternity of Dirt

Last edited by Django; 02-14-2014 at 04:01 AM.. Reason: ==> NOTE: This Is A Hi-tech Tank <==
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 04:03 AM   #2
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

it's amazing what a small hydor can do. have one in my tank, 0 algae ever since.
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
Argusi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

I had just ordered a 425 for my 55 gallon I'm going to build. I hope it's not too much...
Old 02-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I looked up the Hydor Koralia Nano Evolution 425 gph and I was already impressed with the performance in the video. Seems like a really cool circulation pump (powerhead, but not like your father's powerhead).

It would turn over a 55 gallon 7.728 times an hour, if that helps at all. Petco says Hydor Koralia Nano Water Circulation Pump is for 28-50 freshwater gallons. I think that is the older model that yours replaces. Your model takes less watts of power, so it doesn't heat up the water as much - probably not a major issue.

Doesn't have a speed control, which should not be a problem in a 55 gallon. Might be able to use a lamp dimmer or a Hydor controller for that.

I have been thinking about positioning my new filter in terms of the filter output direction and how it affects the total tank circulation. I guess you may, too. I think that, ignoring the fluidics issues which I don't know, like what happens when a stream of water hits the glass, I come up with your basic pool ball physics.

Also, I'm not going to pay any attention to creating surface agitation - the filter will create sub-surface movement of the water, which is what I think you'll be doing. So hopefully, CO2 retention in the water will be maximized (my tank is low tech) while surface area and gas exchange will be minimized

the Fraternity of Dirt
Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
Argusi
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
I looked up the Hydor Koralia Nano Evolution 425 gph and I was already impressed with the performance in the video. Seems like a really cool circulation pump (powerhead, but not like your father's powerhead).

It would turn over a 55 gallon 7.728 times an hour, if that helps at all. Petco says Hydor Koralia Nano Water Circulation Pump is for 28-50 freshwater gallons. I think that is the older model that yours replaces. Your model takes less watts of power, so it doesn't heat up the water as much - probably not a major issue.

Doesn't have a speed control, which should not be a problem in a 55 gallon. Might be able to use a lamp dimmer or a Hydor controller for that.

I have been thinking about positioning my new filter in terms of the filter output direction and how it affects the total tank circulation. I guess you may, too. I think that, ignoring the fluidics issues which I don't know, like what happens when a stream of water hits the glass, I come up with your basic pool ball physics.

Also, I'm not going to pay any attention to creating surface agitation - the filter will create sub-surface movement of the water, which is what I think you'll be doing. So hopefully, CO2 retention in the water will be maximized (my tank is low tech) while surface area and gas exchange will be minimized
Django, this makes me feel better. What I've seen of these, one of the selling points is they pump in a wide pattern as opposed to a stream like from a hose or traditional powerhead. I'll set my filter output about 1/3 of the way across the back and fiddle with the Nano to kill any dead spots. In my head I have a "swirl" pictured in the tank. We'll see!
Old 02-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I have the Nano 240 in my 20g and it's great for flow. The flow is pretty wide; it's not a jet stream at all. All my plants are swaying gently, even the ones on the other end of the tank 24" away. Good water circulation is great for plants, especially to evenly distribute nutrients to them constantly. No dead spots in my tank either. I'm very happy with it.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Deflected
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post

I would do more research before putting a lamp dimmer. I don't think it works.

Low Light Planted:
-125 Gallon Community Tank
-5.5 Gallon Peacock Goby Tank
-20 Gallon Shrimp Tank
-5 Gallon Betta and Shrimp Tank

Deflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think the idea that you want a rolling wave back to front like a steamroller is still valid. That's what I have with my AquaClear 30 HOB which is hanging right on the middle of the back glass - it throws water across the water surface, hits the front glass and goes down. I see the plants on both ends of the tank moving a little. So that will be my first try - mounting the new Fluval U2 a half-inch below the surface and have it go straight across.

the Fraternity of Dirt
Old 02-15-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
Argusi
Algae Grower

I'm slowly absorbing all of this info (along with Google) and I think I'm starting to get it. Need filter flow and separately, movement flow is needed, but not too much. I guess I'm going to do some 'sperimenting!

Diana did a summary here also, in this thread, post #2. I like the idea of watching a leaf float around. I'm most leery about the corners.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
TDerivan
Algae Grower

I use two Koralia 240s in my 29 gallon reef and they do a wonderful job of circulating the water. I've been thinking about adding some to my planted tanks lately. I like to use several smaller pumps rather than one larger one so I can aim them at each other to create a slightly more chaotic flow. It's great for clearing debris from the substrate. Do be careful though if you use a sand substrate. I used to have a spraybar in my 33 long until I got tired of pushing sand back to the other side every week.
TDerivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #11
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

I have used the Koralia product line from when they were still called #1, 2, 3, 4.
The big push then was more water movement per watt of electricity used.
I have several tanks about 45 gallons (4' long) with no filter, just the Koralia 3 or 4 set at one end of the tank.
The water movement can be seen at the other end of the tank.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote