New Guy!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-14-2014, 02:35 AM   #1
BonsaiGuy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

New Guy!

Hey all!

First post here, and I'm anxious to get started. I've been growing plants, bonsai, for probably about 5 years now, so I've got a bit of a green thumb. My brother (who is big into saltwater aquariums) has always impressed me with his saltwater tanks, so I thought I would give a freshwater planted tank a try. Seems like a great hobby.

So far I've got my 10 gallon tank. I chose a 10 gallon to get me started and introduced to the hobby. I didn't want to go too overboard for my first tank. I've been trying to find a 2 bulb 20 inch T5 online or in a store near me, but have come up short so far.

I've been guided to a good filter that I need to pick up here in a few days.

My biggest question is about the soil. I know things like fluorite and other substrates like that are the way to go, but is there any way I can do this as natural as possible? Could I do a layer of peat, then have a layer of gravel on top of that?

I'll have more questions as you all guide me, all help is appreciated, thanks!
BonsaiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Search mineralized dirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 02:46 AM   #3
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

Welcome! There is a lot of information on here that will help you find what you need. Also check the trade thread to if your looking for something you can't find

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
ctaylor3737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 03:00 AM   #4
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonsaiGuy View Post
So far I've got my 10 gallon tank. I chose a 10 gallon to get me started and introduced to the hobby. I didn't want to go too overboard for my first tank. I've been trying to find a 2 bulb 20 inch T5 online or in a store near me, but have come up short so far.
Welcome to the forum!

If you are wanting to start out easy, I would not suggest T5s or T5HOs on your 10g. I would suggest a single T8 with a white plastic reflector similar to many stock 10g hoods. Much more light than that and you will most likely need CO2 or lots of Excel dosing.
Hyzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 03:05 AM   #5
BonsaiGuy
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
Welcome to the forum!

If you are wanting to start out easy, I would not suggest T5s or T5HOs on your 10g. I would suggest a single T8 with a white plastic reflector similar to many stock 10g hoods. Much more light than that and you will most likely need CO2 or lots of Excel dosing.

Interesting you suggest the T8, do they make those in the 20 inch size? What would the T5 do that would make me work more? I'm all for a T8, just trying to understand what that would do vs. a T5. I used to use T8's for my trees.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:10 AM   #6
BonsaiGuy
Algae Grower

Actually, this hood?

Amazon.com: All Glass Aquarium AAG21220 Fluorescent Deluxe Hood, 20-Inch: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: All Glass Aquarium AAG21220 Fluorescent Deluxe Hood, 20-Inch: Pet Supplies

I chose that one there because I've got a free Prime membership currently and could have it shipped to me rather quickly. I'd just have to put in a 6500K bulb.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:22 AM   #7
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Actually, this hood?

Amazon.com: All Glass Aquarium AAG21220 Fluorescent Deluxe Hood, 20-Inch: Pet Supplies

I chose that one there because I've got a free Prime membership currently and could have it shipped to me rather quickly. I'd just have to put in a 6500K bulb.
Pretty sure that is close to the hood I used over my 10g a few years ago. I went to the gardening store and picked up a daylight bulb because it looked better than the stock bulb.

The reason I suggest a T8 over a T5 is because it produces less light. The amount of light you have over your tank sets the requirements for additional carbon (CO2, glutaraldehyde), macro (N,K,P), and micronutrients. If you are just starting and hoping to keep the tank easy, I would suggest a lower light intensity tank.

Many start this hobby like I did, with too much light. I'm trying to save you a weak plant growth algae headache.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:23 AM   #8
BonsaiGuy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Pretty sure that is close to the hood I used over my 10g a few years ago. I went to the gardening store and picked up a daylight bulb because it looked better than the stock bulb.

The reason I suggest a T8 over a T5 is because it produces less light. The amount of light you have over your tank sets the requirements for additional carbon (CO2, glutaraldehyde), macro (N,K,P), and micronutrients. If you are just starting and hoping to keep the tank easy, I would suggest a lower light intensity tank.

Many start this hobby like I did, with too much light. I'm trying to save you a weak plant growth algae headache.
Ah I see I see, makes sense. Would I be able to grow decent plants with a light with this?
Old 02-14-2014, 03:30 AM   #9
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Ah I see I see, makes sense. Would I be able to grow decent plants with a light with this?
Not all plants, but part of the fun of this hobby is learning to grow more challenging species over time.

A few years ago I grew some moss, Crypts, and a couple stem plants in a 10g with a single T8 fixture. Here it is:
Old 02-14-2014, 03:33 AM   #10
BonsaiGuy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Not all plants, but part of the fun of this hobby is learning to grow more challenging species over time.

A few years ago I grew some moss, Crypts, and a couple stem plants in a 10g with a single T8 fixture. Here it is:

Wow, incredible! I can go ahead and buy it now and have it here by Saturday then.

After seeing another thread, I think I've decided to go with this as my substrate:

http://www.petco.com/product/111998/...Substrate.aspx

Sounds like great stuff.

What's the difference between this:

Amazon.com: CaribSea Eco-Complete 20-Pound Planted Aquarium, Black: Pet Supplies

And this:

Amazon.com: Flourite Dark, 7 kg / 15.4 lbs: Pet Supplies

Is one fluorite and the other isn't?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-14-2014 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 02-14-2014, 06:36 AM   #11
Darkblade48

Quote:
The first one is Eco-Complete, while the second is Flourite.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
BonsaiGuy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
The first one is Eco-Complete, while the second is Flourite.

Well yes, thank you, I got that. But are they different materials?
Old 02-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
Lynrem
Algae Grower

The tread in the sticky on the Substrate forum Substrate Choices Pros/Cons will answer some of you questions. Other threads in that forum may also be helpful to you.

Eco-complete an Flourite are not the same.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #14
BonsaiGuy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynrem View Post
The tread in the sticky on the Substrate forum Substrate Choices Pros/Cons will answer some of you questions. Other threads in that forum may also be helpful to you.

Eco-complete an Flourite are not the same.

Thanks! Now that I know they're not the same I'll see if I can get some of the Eco-Complete to try.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 PM   #15
Lynrem
Algae Grower

Just for a little more info (and maybe confusion) you can look at each ones website

Eco-Complete

Flourite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.