My Guppies Personally Hate Me - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #16
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentypoundtabby View Post
I'm amazed that the males are dying but the babies are not since guppies babies are more fragile in my experience. Are the babies eating and acting normal? If so, then it looks like you're going to have guppies.
Yeah, they're doing great.

I think the males are afraid of me or something... There's literally no reason for them to be dying. The day I murdered the female, they were all perfect and swimming around to eat. The next day they were like this. Today they're worse.

On the bright side I'll have like 10 in a few months. On the dark side I could have had an entire tank full in the same time if I hadn't had murdered my fish.
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #17
fraviz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Are you sure it is not the dwarf puffers who are harassing them ?
fraviz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #18
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update:

I just went to the pet store and got 2 females. Apparently the dead one came back to life while I was gone because now all three are trying to breed with the females through the bag...

I don't understand life anymore.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #19
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

I picked up 12 on a sale the LFS was having last weekend. No sign of illness. Perfectly healthy looking bunch.

I've lost 4 this week.
THE V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:07 AM   #20
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
I picked up 12 on a sale the LFS was having last weekend. No sign of illness. Perfectly healthy looking bunch.

I've lost 4 this week.
Just guppies in general, or specifically the "black tiger endlers"?
Old 02-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #21
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

Guppies og course.
THE V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:47 AM   #22
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Just saw some Turquoise/Blue guppies in a LFS just gorgeous. I started with Guppies but, I forgot just how nice they can look.

Last edited by DogFish; 02-15-2014 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: sp
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:37 AM   #23
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well the two female I added are immediately doing terrible... They went from super active in their LFS tank to laying on the bottom in my tank. All of my other fish are fine and the males are warming up a bit. All the babies are fine. The dwarf puffers and the neons are fine.

This is getting ridiculous.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:09 AM   #24
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

*coughs* Quarantine?
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #25
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post
*coughs* Quarantine?
None... I have a 5 gallon planted tank set up for quarantine but right now it is in the deepest stages of cycle.

But good idea regardless.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #26
MamaJu
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Sorry to hear about your luck with female guppies. Feel comfort in that fact that you are not alone. I bought 1 male and 2 female. The female died the next day. I bought 3 more females thinking that the male was harassing the last female to death. Another female died the next day. But come to find out, I had an ick outbreak. I couldn't tell at first but I noticed spots on the tail of a very light colored guppy. It wasn't noticeable on any of the dark guppies.

All I did was increased my temp up to 82 degrees and added some salt to the aquarium. No more deaths and all females are prego.

I have 2 pea puffers in the tank with them at first but caught one of the puffers bite the face off a betta fry... so I had to move the puffers to another tank. No more deaths and all the fish are getting along swimmingly

The pea puffers like to nip a the tails of the other fish, normally scaring them to death. You should sneak up on them at night and see what is happening... That's how I caught my puffers snacking on their tank mates.
MamaJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #27
i_heart_fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy View Post
Within a few seconds of starting the siphon, she was sucked in. She turned red and her eyes popped out.
Oh god, I would feel horrible if that happened to me (or rather: one of my fish), I'm sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy View Post
It's like they remember I murdered their only female 24 hours ago. Is it even possible for fish to possess such emotions?
Fish aren't as stupid as many people or urban legends would like us to think. Just think about how koi are able to recognise certain people (the ones who feed them) and other instances where fish learn new ability (getting to know a food source over time; at first it might be ignored and then when one of them starts eating it, over time all may start to do the same).

I would assume that just like with positive experiences, they can learn from negative ones too. But all in all, that situation happened so fast and not to one of them "personally". So I would rather tend to think that there is something else going on. Maybe they are still stressed out or a little sick since they are rather new to the tank. My endler hybrids do for example change their behaviour when the CO2 level in the tank is too high for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentypoundtabby View Post
I'm amazed that the males are dying but the babies are not since guppies babies are more fragile in my experience. Are the babies eating and acting normal? If so, then it looks like you're going to have guppies.
I don't find that too strange. A friend of mine just had an incident with her CO2 system and almost all the adults died but the younger ones survived. It's also much too common to lose adult guppies because they are not able to adjust to new water conditions. When one is lucky enough that they have fry before dying, then the younger generation is born in the new water conditions and can adapt to it without problems.
i_heart_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #28
RevClyburn
Algae Grower

Sorry your lost some of your fish,

fish are just fickle animals, they're great one minute and the next they're cowering in a corner for no apparent reason. Sometimes they just need some time to re adjust and some times they just don't make it. And often we have no clue why, just so many factors that can change things so fast. And often the ones that don't make it were our favorite fish and it just makes things worst. So again, sorry you lost some of your fish.

On another note, you need to find out what is going on, and eyeballing your fish is not enough to say they are fine, sometimes you're just not going to see what is going on with a fish. Like Discus, one minute they're fine, beautiful colors, swimming gracefully around. And the next they're gasping for air, color flushed and not swimming at all. And most of the time it's the simplest things that make them go down hill. A change in temp, bad water, frozen fish food (high in nitrates) that they're not used too. Some times it's other fish, tail pickers and bullies. So many factors that can just wreck havoc in a tank.

So where to begin, what has happened in your tank lately, other than the mishap with the female guppy. Have you recently changed anything, including your water, is the temp the same? What is the temp and can you raise it say 3 degrees to combat anything that might be going on, sometimes that works. Also, what are you putting in the water, any salt, any fish treatments? And ick doesn't have to be seen to be ick. There's a lot of factors. I kind of agree with one of the replies, the babies seem to be fine but the other fish (guppies) are affected, sounds like a water problem, What about the other fish, any thing, how are they doing? I'm looking at some things right now about Guppies, like you I read a lot about fish and maintaining them. I'll post somethings I've found out that may help you out. In any event, you'll make it and things will return to normal soon.

Be right back

Rev
RevClyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #29
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevClyburn View Post
So where to begin, what has happened in your tank lately, other than the mishap with the female guppy. Have you recently changed anything, including your water, is the temp the same? What is the temp and can you raise it say 3 degrees to combat anything that might be going on, sometimes that works. Also, what are you putting in the water, any salt, any fish treatments? And ick doesn't have to be seen to be ick. There's a lot of factors. I kind of agree with one of the replies, the babies seem to be fine but the other fish (guppies) are affected, sounds like a water problem, What about the other fish, any thing, how are they doing? I'm looking at some things right now about Guppies, like you I read a lot about fish and maintaining them. I'll post somethings I've found out that may help you out. In any event, you'll make it and things will return to normal soon.

Be right back

Rev
Water and temperature are the same... It's like 77F. I'm adding Flourish Comprehensive to the water but I haven't added it in a week. All of my other fish are fine but my neons are fighting with each other because I originally had 5 and then I added 4 more.

I like how I could throw 20 guppies from Petco into a 29 gallon tank full of plastic and pebbles when I was in 3rd grade without a single loss and tons of babies, yet when I actually make an effort to set up a planted tank, every guppy I get decides to die or be killed.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #30
Planted Tank Enthusiast

UPDATE:

Good news... The lights came on this morning and I found both of the females together in the back corner with some males and babies. The females are not dead. However, none of the guppies will come out to the front of the tank and I don't know why. How do I make them come out?

The babies are doing great and even starting to venture far out of the plants. I saw a few in the front of the tank swimming just centimeters from the largest dwarf puffer. The dwarf puffers seem to get along wonderfully with all of my fish.