My Guppies Personally Hate Me
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

My Guppies Personally Hate Me

I bought 1 female and 2 male guppies. I was worried about a reverse trio, so I went back and got another female and another male. The female died within 12 hours, so I had a reverse quadruplet of guppies. I finally went back and got another female which looked pregnant but had dropsy. She died a few days ago from dropsy.

I was left with one female and three males and they were doing great. I usually feed with a turkey baster because it is so easy. Yesterday I was about to feed and noticed the water level was too high, so I stuck the siphon into the tank. Little did I know, they had all gathered in their pecking order (biggest to smallest) to get food. The remaining female guppy was the biggest. Within a few seconds of starting the siphon, she was sucked in. She turned red and her eyes popped out.

These aren't pure guppies, they're guppy-endler hybrids. It's the "black tiger" kind which is yellow with black stripes. Luckily she had a large drop a few days ago and I have at least 10 babies that are thriving and now swimming around the outer boundaries of the many plants.

Today I came home and went to feed my fishing. I made the blood worms ready and started feeding with my turkey baster. All 9 neons ate. Both dwarf puffers ate hardily. I saw the guppy fry swimming about the plants freely... Yet none of the 3 male endlers were out.

All three were in the back corner swimming around. I couldn't get them to even come out for food. They're all in perfect health.

This makes me feel even worse about brutally, slowly and painfully murdering my most important fish. The three males swim away when I get near the tank. It's like they remember I murdered their only female 24 hours ago. Is it even possible for fish to possess such emotions?
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
Kat12
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy View Post
I bought 1 female and 2 male guppies. I was worried about a reverse trio, so I went back and got another female and another male. The female died within 12 hours, so I had a reverse quadruplet of guppies. I finally went back and got another female which looked pregnant but had dropsy. She died a few days ago from dropsy.

I was left with one female and three males and they were doing great. I usually feed with a turkey baster because it is so easy. Yesterday I was about to feed and noticed the water level was too high, so I stuck the siphon into the tank. Little did I know, they had all gathered in their pecking order (biggest to smallest) to get food. The remaining female guppy was the biggest. Within a few seconds of starting the siphon, she was sucked in. She turned red and her eyes popped out.

These aren't pure guppies, they're guppy-endler hybrids. It's the "black tiger" kind which is yellow with black stripes. Luckily she had a large drop a few days ago and I have at least 10 babies that are thriving and now swimming around the outer boundaries of the many plants.

Today I came home and went to feed my fishing. I made the blood worms ready and started feeding with my turkey baster. All 9 neons ate. Both dwarf puffers ate hardily. I saw the guppy fry swimming about the plants freely... Yet none of the 3 male endlers were out.

All three were in the back corner swimming around. I couldn't get them to even come out for food. They're all in perfect health.

This makes me feel even worse about brutally, slowly and painfully murdering my most important fish. The three males swim away when I get near the tank. It's like they remember I murdered their only female 24 hours ago. Is it even possible for fish to possess such emotions?

It is possible that since you just recently got these and 2 died so quickly that they may have been ill from their source and the males have just held up a bit better.
Kat12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat12 View Post
It is possible that since you just recently got these and 2 died so quickly that they may have been ill from their source and the males have just held up a bit better.
That was over a 2 week area. The two that died were already sick with non-contagious diseases. It's not illness, I'd know if it were illness.

It's not a sick hiding, it's like a "Oh look it's the murderer hide" hiding / hiding from the turkey baster.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #4
Lynrem
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I think you need to change your name to

GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyKILLER

JK, sorry for you loss

I know some fish do recognize when the person that feeds them enters the room so I think it is very possible that they could associate you with the death of their mate
Old 02-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #5
Imaginary1226
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

They are probably afraid of the turkey baster...and lets face it guppies arent the most intelligent of fish! I train my fish im feeding them when i tap on the tank with a plastic spoon. they get excited and swim to the top.
Imaginary1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
jrill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynrem View Post
I think you need to change your name to

GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyKILLER

JK, sorry for you loss

I know some fish do recognize when the person that feeds them enters the room so I think it is very possible that they could associate you with the death of their mate
LOL

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
jrill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
twentypoundtabby
Planted Member

Were they more friendly before the turkey baste incident? If so, then they are probably shy because their group got smaller. I've noticed that they are more outgoing when in larger groups. Give them a few days and they'll probably be begging.
I doubt guppies have the brain power to remember a death more than a few hours.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sometimes I think that after over a thousand generations in captivity they just give up. They start looking for creative ways to end it all.

Just like my uncle used to say on the ranch in Montana "Sheep are always looking for a new way to die".
THE V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:51 AM   #9
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Siphon and a turkey baster may look the same to a gup.
The last time anything plastic came into the tank-one lost it's eyeballs.
They saw what it did to their GF and are probably scared mulmless.
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:03 AM   #10
Lynrem
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
Just like my uncle used to say on the ranch in Montana "Sheep are always looking for a new way to die".
LOL I use to raise sheep and that is SOooo true. Or as one farmer put it about his son-in-law's cattle. "The calves there are born brain dead and go down hill from there"
Old 02-14-2014, 01:13 AM   #11
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynrem View Post
LOL I use to raise sheep and that is SOooo true. Or as one farmer put it about his son-in-law's cattle. "The calves there are born brain dead and go down hill from there"
I know some people like that.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 AM   #12
Aquaticz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thx for the laughs.... Everyone in the restaurant now knows I am a nut ! But seriously that was hilarious ... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquaticz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:17 AM   #13
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Their group will be five times larger in 2 months when the babies are sizable. All the fish in the tank are too small to eat them. As long as I don't siphon all of them out the population should continue to grow...

I'm going to use a pitcher from now on.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update on the saga:

This morning I woke up to find one of the males dead midwater. Still brightly colored without that "dead" look -- like he was petrified.

The other two males are still hiding in the plants. They appear to be cowering... It's not the swimming slowly in corner thing. I know the traditional sick fish thing. They look like they're shaking and they dart when things come near them.

All of the babies are still alive. This may be turned into a dwarf puffer species tank with neons. They seem much more emotionally stable and intelligent.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
twentypoundtabby
Planted Member

I'm amazed that the males are dying but the babies are not since guppies babies are more fragile in my experience. Are the babies eating and acting normal? If so, then it looks like you're going to have guppies.