Excel and UV
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 11-30-2007, 04:46 AM   #1
Crystalview
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Excel and UV

I use Excel and Flourish. What does running a UV light do to these two products if I am dosing as suggested? When running a UV light full time How would this destruction of these chemicals show up, and with what tests?
I have way to bright of a house to not have green water all the time. I have tried several times to turn the UV off and the green water is back pretty fast. All water parameters are 0,0,0-.4 Ph 7 I only have slight green spot algae so everything is running as should be.
Maybe I should use a slight more of the nutrients. What are your thoughts.
Crystalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
Kayakbabe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

What does " 0,0,0-.4 " indicate?
The string of numbers doesn't tell which is what or what it is.

Can you give more info? What do those numbers relate to, temp, lighting wattage, duration, etc.

UV will destroy the Excell. The chemical in the excell is an intermediary in the clorophyll carbon fixing chain. It isn't very stable at all.
If you're having to dose excell like mad... you have something else going on that needs to be addressed. There are a lot of brains here to help.
Kayakbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:01 AM   #3
Crystalview
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0 +-4
Ph 7
29g planted with fish.
canister filter
18w UV
55w 7600k
Excel daily
Flourish every other day to two days
My main thing is to find out if I am wasting the Excel using it at the normal dose on the bottle. I can grow moss and Fissiden real well but if I start adding more plants will the Excel still be in the water column long enough to help with running the UV 24/7?
Crystalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Rod Hay
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hey Crystal,
I have a tank sitting in full sunlight....a 29 gallon. It's been planted and running for over a year now, including thru the brightest and sunniest summer months. Never had a greenwater algae problem. I don't think it's just your too brite house causing the GW. You need to look into other possible problems that are creating the imbalance in your tank.

My 29g is smack in front of a south facing floor to ceiling window (6' x 6'). It is a low/med tech topsoil based tank. I dose a modified E.I and use Excel daily. I think the Excel really helps the plants a lot so I really like to use it.

Here is a link to the Seachem FAQ on Excel:
http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/...Excel_faq.html

The use of a UV is not addressed; but as if oft quoted....if you want the real deal go to the horses mouth??? ....Anyway, Seachem has always been very responsive to answer hobbiest questions. On the FAQ page is a Seachem e-mail link and a phone number if you'd like to ask their tech support staff.
Rod Hay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:25 AM   #5
Kayakbabe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I was just looking up some old pics of when I first srted up my big tank. I remember I got hair algae really bad and the forum members helped me. It kind of rang a bell. It turns out that I needed to dose nitrate.. that was the limited nutrient that let hair algae grow in my tank. so I went out and bought green light stump remover and started adding that. It was a lot cheaper than the kent or seachem stuff... anyway.. it fixed my problem. I haven't had hair algae since unless I let my nitrates drop too low.. when they get to 0 around a week or so.. I see some hair.. I bump up by adding the stump remover.. and the hair goes away.. and my plants start pearling again... I try to keep it between 10 and 30 ppm.. It doesn't seem to matter on the 10 or 30 side of that range, but my tank grows well without algae.

Maybe you are macro nutrient limited?