Java Moss
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 11-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
ybraminim
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Java Moss

I've thought about putting some Java Moss in my new 75 gallon tank after it is set up (hopefully before or shortly after the new year). In the mean time, I've thought about getting it started in my existing 29 gallon tank. I've debated with myself whether I just want a moss "carpet" or moss "wall" on one of the sides of the tank. Any thoughts, or is it pretty much just personal preference?

Right now my tank lighting is close to 1wpg or just above. So if I do get started with it in the 29, will this work?

Also, is there a good place in N. CO. where I can get Java moss? I could order online if needed, but if there is a store you know that carries it or someone locally, that works for me. I'm also not stuck on Java moss, if there are other suggestions that would accomplish the same thing.
ybraminim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
TAF CAF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Java moss will work with 1wpg, but it will grow slowly.

It is probably just personal preference on carpets or walls... but I prefer walls. They just seem easier to maintain to me.

Another useful way is to braid it into ropes with nylon string.

I am not sure if you are too far away, but we usually have several bags of java moss at the Colorado Aquarium Society meetings at our mini-auctions. The next regular meeting will be the first Friday night in January.

Colorado Aquarium Society ___ www.2000webdesign.com ___
TAF CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #3
ybraminim
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I picked up some Java Moss that the LFS got in and added that to my current tank. I'm gonna let it grow a little in a "bunch" and then do the moss wall after I get my 75 gallon tank set up.
ybraminim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
TAF CAF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Hope you have good luck with it. They sure can be beautiful.

Colorado Aquarium Society ___ www.2000webdesign.com ___
TAF CAF is offline   Reply With Quote