Have Kitty Litter as a Substrate? I do! *Pics - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 03-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
I would treat it the same as SMS/Schultz/Flourite etc. Do you soak it in anything? Probably not.
Never used any of those, straight Aqua Soil for me, but thanks.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2008, 02:51 AM   #17
eden_angelfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to eden_angelfish

Interesting....very interesting. Has anyone used any brands other than special kitty? If I wanted to try this in an already running tank, would I have to completely drain it out and start over to put it in, or would I be able to just dump it in and then spread a layer of gravel over it? The tank I am thinking of is currently a mix of pea gravel, playground sand, and locally collected pieces of 'pretty' rocks (jasper, agate, and a bit of amethyst) Also, someone mentioned that it can cut up shrimp. What about fish that spend a lot of time on or in the substrate like cories and loaches? I have a small kuhli loach that spends most of his time burrowing, and I don't want to hurt him.

I also had another interesting thought today while starting some seeds for my vegetable garden. I bought some cheap generic potting soil at Walmart and it's very heavy and sandy. Which got me thinking, I wonder if it would sink to the bottom and go into my aquarium substrate? I put some in a glass and rinsed it a few times to get rid of those little white things they put in there (can't remember what that's called...) and then filled the glass to let it sit. It pretty much all settled, leaving me with surprisingly clear water. So I'm thinking I may try that in a tank. Anyone tried something like that?
eden_angelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:59 AM   #18
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Many people use potting soil; just you need to be careful about the additives and organic matter, as they can 1) decompose and cause ammonia/nitrIte issues, 2) encourage algae, 3) have substances that will cause other water quality issues when constantly underwater
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
Beeker
Algae Grower

I know this is an old thread, but I am curious about eden angelfish's question about bottom dwellers. I am considering using kitty litter, but am planning on getting Khuli Loaches, which like to burrow. How is kitty litter on these sensitive fish? Was what E A heard about it cutting shrimp true?
Beeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
stilwelljr
Algae Grower

Default Kitty liter Question!

Hey I am kind of new to this kitty liter as a substrate ..but I have a 20Gal High that I want to try it in ..Should I wash or lightly rinse the kitty liter first (to remove any fine dust)or can I just add it to Tank..I am planning on using it as a bottom layer and topped with Fine gravel and pea gravel .. Please Advise.. Thanks
stilwelljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #21
CrazyMidwesterner
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to CrazyMidwesterner

I've never used Kitty litter but I've used SMS and Oil Dri which are both similiar and I rinsed those good. Both were "Dirty"

Basically took a 5 Gallon bucket, poured in some of the oil dri, and used a sprayer on the garden hose to violently fill the bucket. Then quickly poor the water out. You don't have to be super careful and get all the water out just most of it and the sediment that is suspended in it.

Repeat as necessary. As the water clears out dump the "Clean" subtrate into another tote and refill the 5 gallon bucket with stuff you need to rinse.

I think my oil dri took me about 1.5 half to clean the whole bag well and that stuff was much more dirty than the SMS. I would assume Kitty Litter is pretty "dirty" so I would rinse it well.
CrazyMidwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
CrazyMidwesterner
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to CrazyMidwesterner

Also, the water for me was never Crystal clear as I was cleaning it just very transparent when I was done. I figured as long as I would spraying a hose directly on it, it was safe to expect some particles to still be in the water.

Once in the tank there was no visible sediment in the water column after filling it though.
CrazyMidwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #23
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Never thought of it, but went out today and picked up a 25lb bag of Special Kitty: Natural Cat Litter today, and plan on using it in my 55 gallon acrylic tank when I set it up.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #24
UGA_Grad_Student
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
Never thought of it, but went out today and picked up a 25lb bag of Special Kitty: Natural Cat Litter today, and plan on using it in my 55 gallon acrylic tank when I set it up.
Please let me know how that goes. I am two weeks from putting substrate in my 55 gallon and I am nervous about using sand or soil so this may be a good option.
UGA_Grad_Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #25
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Well I plan to mix the kitty litter into my soil, and then cap it off with play sand. But I'll let you know it goes.....
Old 02-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #26
spyderuk
Algae Grower

Kitty litter in my high tech Rio 125.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...ns-island.html
spyderuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #27
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Ive thought about Kitty litter too! Good to see someone using it.
Drewsplantednutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #28
Daximus
Wannabe Guru

I have some plants that I potted in kitty litter in one of my tanks and I must say they look great with minimal effort, no ferts, no Co2, no root tabs.

If/when I redo my 90 I'm thinking about doing a 50/50 mix with cat litter and MGOPS covered in Black Diamond.

Only concern I have is what kind of cat litter, some of it just dissolves in water and some of it sort of holds it's shape...it's all kind of dusty though.
Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #29
spyderuk
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post

Only concern I have is what kind of cat litter, some of it just dissolves in water and some of it sort of holds it's shape...it's all kind of dusty though.
The one used most often in the UK is basically molar clay, much like akadama.
spyderuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #30
drewfish
Algae Grower

Would it be a ok to mix the litter with some peat moss as a substrate? Did this building Poisonous Dart Frog tanks to build backgrounds and plants loved it then.
drewfish is offline   Reply With Quote