New - Planning a low tech 5g
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 02-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
lurkermom
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New - Planning a low tech 5g

Hi everyone!

So, I'm new here, somehow new to the aquarium world (well, I always had tanks, but never really cared for them much before) Now though I'm more and more interested in the hobby, especially planted tanks.

I have two tanks, a 31 gallons tank with a bunch of guppies and random plants.

And my new pet project, a Fluval Spec V.

I am still trying to figure out the plants I can use for it, at first I wanted to make a carpet (HC) then I read it was impossible without CO2, and since I have shrimps, CO2 is out of the question (from what I heard)

My LFS are complete imbeciles and don't know what they are talking about, as they sold me two plants saying they were easy and would be perfect in my setting... I then learned that one of them wasn't even aquatic (I was wondering why it started to rot!), and the other was totally high maintenance that needed a lot of high tech stuff so is unfortunately slowly dying.

Now my tank is pretty much empty in the flora sense of things, it was a marimo ball and that's about it. As well as a betta and a bunch of shrimps.

I'm using very basic black sand (Carribsea)
And the stock light that came with the Spec (anyone knows anything about that light?)

I am really hopping to learn from everyone here.

Cheers
lurkermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 12:39 AM   #2
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The stock light isn't great for plants, so stick to low light plants. Java ferns and Anubias are always safe (and easy to find, even at PetCo/PetSmart), as is java moss (which the shrimp will love), moss balls, stuff like that.

Might want a Nerite snail to keep it sparkling.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
lurkermom
Algae Grower

Thanks for the answer kman!
I already have a moss ball in the small tank and thinking about upgrading the light as well in the next couple of weeks. My goal is to really plan everything well before spending a fortune hehe.

I'm a bit worried about snails, arent those have a big bioload, wont that be too much? and don't they eat plants and reproduce like crazy? so far i'm Lucky, my shrimps keep the tank pretty clean
Old 02-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkermom View Post
Thanks for the answer kman!
I already have a moss ball in the small tank and thinking about upgrading the light as well in the next couple of weeks. My goal is to really plan everything well before spending a fortune hehe.

I'm a bit worried about snails, arent those have a big bioload, wont that be too much? and don't they eat plants and reproduce like crazy? so far i'm Lucky, my shrimps keep the tank pretty clean
Not a huge bioload. Nerite snails (and Mystery snails) don't eat living plants, only dead plants and algae. There are other types of snails that can cause problems, but those two are popular for a reason.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
lurkermom
Algae Grower

I'll check into it then
I've been trying to find a light that would be a nice upgrade, I'm thinking about the Finnex FugeRay Planted+ (12 inches)
Would that be overkill without CO2 ?
Old 02-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Not sure, as I haven't used that light. Would have to look at PAR data for that light. Measure distance from light to the substrate, and make sure you're under PAR 30 at that distance to avoid algae issues, since you have no co2. Probably want the value to be on the high end of that (20-30), but too much light without co2 and you get algae.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #7
Mirkinator
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

I use that fugeray on my Spec V. Works great Im growing HC, S. Repens, R Ludwigia, microswords and anubias in my tank (with CO2). My HC has not taking off yet, but its only been a in the tank week or 2.
MY only gripe is I would prefer it to bend a little more on the adjustable thing, seems it would be a tad better 2"s down, but it really doesnt like to bend that way..
Mirkinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
lurkermom
Algae Grower

Nice!
I really wanted HC, but since it needs CO2 I can't sucks heh,
do you have a pic of the setup with the fugeray?