Matt's box of plants....60P Garden (now with 10G and 12 Long) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 AM   #16
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,305
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Yeah, I'll be starting off with a glass nano diffuser just because that's what I have, but I'm likely going to try to make a Cerge reactor and move it inline, ultimately, for the same reason.
My most trusted plant friends seem to like reactors best. It's always the issue of space. I do now have some space, but I don't know how advantageous it is with the little bit of CO2 I plan to run. Glass diffusers are perfectly fine. Some people make them seem pointless but I have had great tanks where I used a glass one. I have seen more than enough amazing tanks with a glass in tank diffuser to not question it, especially on a tank smaller than say 60 gallons or so.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-02-2014, 03:35 AM   #17
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
kman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
My most trusted plant friends seem to like reactors best. It's always the issue of space. I do now have some space, but I don't know how advantageous it is with the little bit of CO2 I plan to run. Glass diffusers are perfectly fine. Some people make them seem pointless but I have had great tanks where I used a glass one. I have seen more than enough amazing tanks with a glass in tank diffuser to not question it, especially on a tank smaller than say 60 gallons or so.
I have no doubt the glass diffuser would suffice. (and will, at least fore a while) It's all about aesthetics, and keeping as much equipment out of the tank as possible. That's why I'm interested in a reactor. While I'm at it, the most efficient design possible seems to be the way to go (and cheap plus simple to make doesn't hurt a bit), so Cerges reactor seems like the best design I've found. Otherwise I'd look at an inline like yours.
__________________
kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #18
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,305
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
I have no doubt the glass diffuser would suffice. (and will, at least fore a while) It's all about aesthetics, and keeping as much equipment out of the tank as possible. That's why I'm interested in a reactor. While I'm at it, the most efficient design possible seems to be the way to go (and cheap plus simple to make doesn't hurt a bit), so Cerges reactor seems like the best design I've found. Otherwise I'd look at an inline like yours.
One nice thing about a reactor is you can run it at a low PSI. There is nothing wrong with a high PSI setup but anything that can fail will. I used regular airline tubing and check valves forever, just swapped the check valves out fairly regularly and both the tubing, and the check valves leaked. It's fine, just use a metal one with bars and the correct tubing but you have to usually order online. I would totally do a reactor if I were you. I may actually do one myself as I have gained some space by ditching my auto dosing setup.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:28 AM   #19
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,305
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

UGLY UPDATE.

CO2 seems to be my enemy. My BGA exploded once I started injecting CO2. Well, it's really to be expected, but frustrating. This is supposed to be a tank I can neglect without issue.

I am going to just nuke the stuff with EM. Not a problem. Just figured I would post an update. The R. wallichii is new, kind of gives you the idea of the color of other plants. I actually am getting color the camera is not picking up well, not to mention covered in BGA. They are all kind of a "desaturated" version of high tech.

Lastly, I have had chronic surface scum forever with this and previous setups. I can't figure it out. I think it may be some mineral oil in my CO2 lines but it's a little crusty. It goes away with agitation but comes back. None of my other tanks have ever had this issue.

Anyway, on to the pictures. I think this should subside in about 3-5 days. After that, I will do a little trim to get it a bit more lush, even though I do need to let some things grow out.





talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:31 AM   #20
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Bserve's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: West Los Angleles, CA
Posts: 758
Default

Need some anti-BGA? I can send you some if u need.
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:01 AM   #21
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,305
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bserve View Post
Need some anti-BGA? I can send you some if u need.
Thanks for the offer but I just bought some today.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:37 AM   #22
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru
 
lamiskool's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 1,341
Default

jeez this must be the worst case of bga ive seen! also the surface scum I believe are bacteria, once they are in you tank they wont go away, with enough surface agitation they wont all cover the surface and form the film though. I use a eheim skim 350 in one of my tank that has it and it works perfectly.
__________________
lamiskool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:00 AM   #23
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,305
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
jeez this must be the worst case of bga ive seen! also the surface scum I believe are bacteria, once they are in you tank they wont go away, with enough surface agitation they wont all cover the surface and form the film though. I use a eheim skim 350 in one of my tank that has it and it works perfectly.
I don't know, I am a master of getting BGA lately. I never got it until I move to my new house. I don't know if it's my water or the fact I am neglecting my tanks a lot more but I am the master of getting BGA. I don't get it in my nano, just my main tank. It was residual from when I switch from much higher light but once I upped the CO2, it took over. I am hoping after I nuke it, it won't come back but if it does, I will start having to do things like dose the tank regularly and all the stuff people normally do. I built this setup under the idea of neglect, I will see what happens.


What's weird about the surface scum is I had it for almost 2 years now. However, my outflow pipe has less agitation, making it worse. However, I have changed the substrate out 3 times, changed the tank with substrate and thoroughly rinsed my filter and media but did not clean everything nor bleach anything. I am hesitant to put a skimmer in because I love lily pipes but on this tank, it would only change the look of the outside (or I can cut my lily because it's Acrylic). Another thing is, again, I am hoping I can go long periods of time without worrying about the tank so I either have to turn the skimmer on and off a lot, or keep up on my water level. Yes, I have become really lazy with the hobby.

The scum didn't bother me when I was high tech because it took about a week to get bad, so I kept up on my water changes. I may get a air pump and see if that will do it for me.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #24
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru
 
Brian_Cali77's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,380
Default

Are you going to use maracyn ( erythromycin) to kill that BGA? For surface scum, an airstone would work. My 6g rimless used to have surface scum before I added a sponge filter. I used to hate those filters, but I'm setting up that tank for shrimp. Read that sponge is the way to go with shrimp. I discovered the side benefit of keeping the surface clear. On my 60P, I'm using an Eheim Skim 350. Works great, too. Last option I heard works is misting the surface with hydrogen peroxide. I've yet to try this method, but I heard it works. I'm actually going to try that soon on my 60F.
__________________
Brian_Cali77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:00 AM   #25
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,305
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Are you going to use maracyn ( erythromycin) to kill that BGA? For surface scum, an airstone would work. My 6g rimless used to have surface scum before I added a sponge filter. I used to hate those filters, but I'm setting up that tank for shrimp. Read that sponge is the way to go with shrimp. I discovered the side benefit of keeping the surface clear. On my 60P, I'm using an Eheim Skim 350. Works great, too. Last option I heard works is misting the surface with hydrogen peroxide. I've yet to try this method, but I heard it works. I'm actually going to try that soon on my 60F.
I am dosing Maracyn. I was going to try Chemiclean for fun but Maracyn is a better bang for the buck and works so I just got that. Done it before, works fine. Not sure if it will come back or not as I am not sure the cause, but lighting intensity has dropped dramatically, new fert routine (little to none) and way lower CO2 than before.

I will try the hydrogen peroxide method. If I can get away with no skimmer/airstone, I will be happy. The tank is dead silent, especially with the Besta cabinet so I would like to keep it that way.

Anyone know if hydrogen peroxide effects erythromycin? I probably should wait, just curious.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #26
OVT
Carpe Diem
 
OVT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (142/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SF East Bay Area
Posts: 5,184
Default

There are some nice guppies nearby.

Have you tried raising your outflow a bit?
There is nothing wrong with having a decent current at the surface - plants need o2, not just co2. High co2 AND o2 throughout the tank would be my goal.

Which reminds me, I need to listen to your message o_O

v3
__________________
Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #27
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,305
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
There are some nice guppies nearby.

Have you tried raising your outflow a bit?
There is nothing wrong with having a decent current at the surface - plants need o2, not just co2. High co2 AND o2 throughout the tank would be my goal.

Which reminds me, I need to listen to your message o_O

v3
The way this outflow works is that unless it's above the water line, it really just makes a small ripple. It a lot more gentle than a regular lily pipe. I wanted that because I knew I was doing a lot of stems and my last pipe would push things around like crazy. Raising it just doesn't do much.

I am basically trying to mimic my little 6 gallon if you remember that. That doesn't get much surface agitation at all, it's much less flow for the size. I figure since I have a CO2 setup, I should try that at the same time as an experiment. I was getting similar results as the 6 before I added CO2. It's an experiment, so far I am growing exceptional BGA.

I am liking no fish right now. It's strange but I only have one fish total right now. However, where are these guppies? Are they yours or is there something in the hood I don't know about?
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #28
OVT
Carpe Diem
 
OVT's Avatar
 
PTrader: (142/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: SF East Bay Area
Posts: 5,184
Default

The guppies are mine and in large quantities. Some pretty nice colors too. All you can fish. There are pluses and minuses to having a tank with fish - to each it's own.

I used food dye to play with flow but even an old dog can learn new tricks. I learned a lot of them from people at TPT: next time you dose traces, dump them right in front of the outflow and watch how they get spread around the tank.

Heavy surface film kills your gas exchange. The plants are slowly simmering in their own soup.

v3
__________________
Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
OVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #29
lamiskool
Wannabe Guru
 
lamiskool's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 1,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I don't know, I am a master of getting BGA lately. I never got it until I move to my new house. I don't know if it's my water or the fact I am neglecting my tanks a lot more but I am the master of getting BGA. I don't get it in my nano, just my main tank. It was residual from when I switch from much higher light but once I upped the CO2, it took over. I am hoping after I nuke it, it won't come back but if it does, I will start having to do things like dose the tank regularly and all the stuff people normally do. I built this setup under the idea of neglect, I will see what happens.


What's weird about the surface scum is I had it for almost 2 years now. However, my outflow pipe has less agitation, making it worse. However, I have changed the substrate out 3 times, changed the tank with substrate and thoroughly rinsed my filter and media but did not clean everything nor bleach anything. I am hesitant to put a skimmer in because I love lily pipes but on this tank, it would only change the look of the outside (or I can cut my lily because it's Acrylic). Another thing is, again, I am hoping I can go long periods of time without worrying about the tank so I either have to turn the skimmer on and off a lot, or keep up on my water level. Yes, I have become really lazy with the hobby.

The scum didn't bother me when I was high tech because it took about a week to get bad, so I kept up on my water changes. I may get a air pump and see if that will do it for me.
The eheim 350 doesnt need to be attached to a filter or anything, it is its own separate unit. Kinda like a powerhead/pump that sucks water from the surface. Works real great and I like the extra water flow/circulation
__________________
lamiskool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #30
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru
 
talontsiawd's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 4,305
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamiskool View Post
The eheim 350 doesnt need to be attached to a filter or anything, it is its own separate unit. Kinda like a powerhead/pump that sucks water from the surface. Works real great and I like the extra water flow/circulation
Oh, no doubt, I thought you were talking about an attachment.


On that note, I probably shouldn't be use H2O2 and EM at the same time but was so tempted try spray a bit. It worked really well. I will do a full treatment after EM. Even if it isn't long term, it seems interesting. I could see that it was having some real effect because everything changed a bit so it looked like there was some real reaction going on.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012