Matt's box of plants....60P Garden (now with 10G and 12 Long)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-11-2014, 02:08 AM   #1
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Matt's box of plants....60P Garden (now with 10G and 12 Long)

Some of you followed my other thread here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=436833

My goal was to have a high tech 60P dutch. I really could never get it worked out. Really, I have not had a great experience with high tech since my first try, that worked great, and I have been chasing the 'high tech dream' ever since.

For awhile, I had MTS (multi-tank syndrome). I found I could get some good coloration using a longer than normal photoperiod, using ferts only when needed, and leaving things alone. It's hard to get great coloration at the bottom but I will scape around color and height. The only downside is it takes longer to grow, which isn't always a bad thing. It's so much easier and I am already seeing the difference in maintenance. I am hitting the reset.

I am currently dealing with at least 3 types of algae. All are going away, just slowly. I am choosing not to deal with it and see if it passes. If not, I will nuke it as I don't have any fish.

The goal of the tank is to have something lush and attractive. I still have the CO2 hooked up but at like 6 bubbles per minute. I may experiment with using a higher level but keeping the light the same.

My basic specs are:
ADA 60P
Eheim 2215
Coralife T5NO

Another thing I may do to keep this ultra low maintenance is not have fish. That may seem strange but I didn't get into this hobby because of fish. I absolutely loved the plants and when I didn't have a home, it was such a cool idea to have an indoor garden. If I do, I will likely go with regular old guppies.

Here are the new pics. As said, it's not algae free. I also need to trim but I figured a new journal would be good for the new start.

Last edited by talontsiawd; 08-16-2014 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Update
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 02:33 AM   #2
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Lookin pre good Matt
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Good transformation to low tech, bro. I think guppies would be cool... you should get a bunch of tuxedo guppies. We had some in a fluval edge and they're actually very entertaining to watch. Are you going to put some Otos or shrimp for algae?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Good transformation to low tech, bro. I think guppies would be cool... you should get a bunch of tuxedo guppies. We had some in a fluval edge and they're actually very entertaining to watch. Are you going to put some Otos or shrimp for algae?
I will likely not do Otos. Shrimp, maybe. I really hope I don't need a clean up crew. Really, I may not do fish at all.

As for guppies, at first, many fish seem more appealing. They have a behavior that isn't suited to a natural style tank but they are really fun to watch. I can get some high end ones locally and I may do so. I may just end up with some Petsmart ones. We will see where that goes. I don't expect to stock in the near future but I personally feel that too many of us over look guppies and similar fish because they are common and "beginner fish". They are common, easy to deal with, and there is a reason why you can get them everywhere.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Yeah I see what you're saying about guppies. I felt the same way about them and bettas.. But after giving them a shot, they still have an appeal about them that's unique -- behavior, appearance, etc. Maybe just stick a really nice betta in that tank. It would be like a mansion on MTV Cribs for one lucky betta.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

Dude. That looks good matt
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Default Matt's box of plants....60P low tech garden

Large school Guppies are pretty awesome in a rimless tank. Especially if you get bright colors under a good light. They complete the plants nicely in the top area of the tank where there's open space. They also eat any gross bugs and crap lol
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #8
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Guppies are like a geometric progression. Plants don't need fish! Tank is looking good.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #9
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Yeah I see what you're saying about guppies. I felt the same way about them and bettas.. But after giving them a shot, they still have an appeal about them that's unique -- behavior, appearance, etc. Maybe just stick a really nice betta in that tank. It would be like a mansion on MTV Cribs for one lucky betta.
I like Betta's but only in a smaller tank for some reason. I am always hesitant to get a really nice Betta because the jump. I have even had 2 jump on a 10 gallon with a standard hood, with a gap only the size of a Betta. Others do not ever jump in a rimless.

That said, I love Betta's and they are super hardy. I have never had one die without jumping. Even my last one was like 4 years old before it finally jumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Large school Guppies are pretty awesome in a rimless tank. Especially if you get bright colors under a good light. They complete the plants nicely in the top area of the tank where there's open space. They also eat any gross bugs and crap lol
Guppies are awesome. It's a shame they don't work well in a natural style tank very well because the exhibit behavior that just doesn't fit a tranquil tank. I have to see if Hydro will replace my heater before I get fish. It failed about a month ago or so and I have yet to deal with it.

That's actually a big reason I am in no hurry to get new fish. I killed them all when the heater failed. I usually put cold water into the tank but I didn't touch the water. I failed to realize it was one of the few times a year where it was below freezing in my area and the water was fringed. By the time I noticed and put another heater in, it was way too late.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments. The tank actually looks both better and worse in the pictures. It has more color than the pictures show but it also looks more manicured than it was. I hacked it down last night which will hopefully be the last big trim I will do. The good thing about low tech is you never have to hack your tank, just trim off growth when it gets unruly. That is a major plus in densely planted tank because everything grows at a different rate so it's hard to get everything right for more than a few days. I only hacked it down because many plants have different growth characteristics than they did under higher light/co2.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:56 AM   #10
kman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Gorgeous tank! I hope my 60P clone looks close to as nice when I start putting it together this weekend.

I hear you re bettas... love them! Just wish there was a reasonable way to keep them in a rimless tank. Putting a screen or even glass on a rimless kinda ruins the look...
kman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 12:44 AM   #11
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Here is a quick update. Honestly, this tank grows pretty slow so my updates will be few and far between. So far, everything seems to be doing fairly good in this tank, minus the R. macrandra. No surprise there but I am going to see what happens for awhile. It's in the back left corner, not that you can tell.

I need to add to the left side. I am thinking of putting some R. wallichii there or maybe Ludwigia glandulosa. Some say it's too big in this tank but I have done it before and without too much light, it can work. The downside to it is I likely have to trim the bottoms so it doesn't branch out. I think with a little more color, I will have most of what I wanted with a high tech tank, in a lower tech tank.

I am still seeing some BGA but I think all other algae I had when high tech is gone. The BGA isn't growing, it seems to be subsiding, just not quick. Pretty good considering I haven't done anything but clean the tank since my last update, outside of a trim. No ferts or water changes (until today).

Lastly, I did start injecting CO2. I am probably at about 1/8 the level I was injecting when high tech. I am hoping it will get some more lush growth without having the need to constantly fertilize.

Here are some new pics, my camera does what it wants so they are not the best.

Btw, it's wack imageshack is no longer free, I wish they gave some notice.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:51 AM   #12
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Lookin good, Matt!
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2014, 01:26 AM   #13
kman
Wannabe Guru

Looks nice!

How are you injecting co2? Diffuser or reactor somewhere out of sight? I'm going to start injecting low level co2 in my otherwise fairly low tech tank, too.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:41 AM   #14
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Looks nice!

How are you injecting co2? Diffuser or reactor somewhere out of sight? I'm going to start injecting low level co2 in my otherwise fairly low tech tank, too.
I use an Atomic inline. Really, the only reason for that is I like everything inline, now that I have an ADA tank. I never had any more trouble with a glass diffuser and it's easier to clean regularly, I just prefer inline.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #15
kman
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I use an Atomic inline. Really, the only reason for that is I like everything inline, now that I have an ADA tank. I never had any more trouble with a glass diffuser and it's easier to clean regularly, I just prefer inline.
Yeah, I'll be starting off with a glass nano diffuser just because that's what I have, but I'm likely going to try to make a Cerge reactor and move it inline, ultimately, for the same reason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.