The Planted Tank Forum banner

The Return of Phoenixkiller! (20l RCS tank)

2K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Assassynation 
#1 · (Edited)
HELLO EVERYBODY!

Finally I have returned from 6 months of no fish (Which was torture)! Through much deliberation and advice from multiple forums, I decided to make an RCS breeding tank! This is with the hope to, one day, provide the main supply of RCS to the Planted Tank forum.

I was so excited, I picked up the actual tank on Thursday. The filters were ordered that day as well, and were dropped off at my house this afternoon. I still have an old 200w heater laying around, and I shall squeeze a few more years out of it yet. Here's the current specifications:

Aquarium: Standard 20 gallon long glass aquarium
Filtration: Two AquaClear 20 filters (May still have Purigen around too)
Substrate: Regular black gravel (25 pounds)
Heating: Old 200w heater
Intended inhabitants: Red Cherry Shrimp
Live plants: Read below
pH: 7.6
KH: 53.7 (Took 3 drops to change color on API liquid test kit)
GH: 125.3 (Took 7 drops to change color on API liquid test kit)
Nitrate: 5-10
TDS: 250

My plans are to get this thing up and running within 2 days. I plan to make this a moss tank, with some easy, fast-growing stems in the back. Since I have quite low lighting, I'm going with easy plants. I would still love some aqua-scaping help when the plants are ordered and arrived. After everything's stable, I would need to find a credible, reasonably-priced seller, and since Speedy's slowing down on business, I don't know who to talk to. Any ideas?

Things I need from you guys:
1. Thin, branchy driftwood (Preferably without tannins)
2. Plant package (With plenty of mosses that like low light)
3. RCS seller
4. Aqua-scaping advice/help

I'll get some pictures of the equipment and tank tomorrow, since it's late right now.

Please subscribe! I won't disappoint!

Thanks for reading!

See less See more
#2 ·
Working out a plant package from H4n, hoping to get some mosses in, as well as some red root floaters and fast growing stem plants. I'm really busy today, so I don't think I can do any pictures at the moment.

#3 ·
Sorry I haven't posted! So very busy this week. I'll start with the things that have ARRIVED.

-TDS Meter

Things that are ordered:

3-4 different RAOKs that I participated in
Massive plant order from h4n
Fluval prefilter sponges
Nice piece of manzanita driftwood (Not cheap either)

Things I am debating about getting:

Liquid fert package from nilocg

TANK IS SET UP! I'll see if I can get some pictures up in a few minutes!

Thanks for reading!

#8 ·
Here's the plant list that has been ordered and on its way:
Peacock moss (Mesh square)
Taiwan moss (Mesh square and RAOK portion)
Anchor moss (Mesh square)
Java moss (Tennis ball)
20 nodes of Hydro. Japan
Red root floaters
Anubias Nana
Anubias Nana 'Gold'
Limnophila indica
Rotala Rotundifolia
Dwarf Sag

Whew! You guys have to make me stop ordering these things!

I got the Rotala today, will post pictures when it's planted!

#9 ·
More pictures! Everything is nice and clean(ish), and just for fun I added a black construction paper background to the tank. It's a little tacky, but it's better than seeing a green textured wall, the back of the filters, and a bunch of cords.

Can't wait for more plants tomorrow!

Don't forget to subscribe! (I'm gonna hound you to subscribe forever heh heh heh!

#11 ·
Where did your question plants come from? Are they questionable from weather in transport and lack of proper heat pack/insulation?

#17 ·
Dude, look at one of my older posts on this thread with the list of plants. I'm just waiting for the majority to arrive haha! Problem is that where Han lives is trapped in a snowstorm, so he is planning to ship it next week when conditions have improved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.