stores in northeast arkansas
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Arkansas

Old 09-21-2004, 04:38 AM   #1
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

stores in northeast arkansas

I'll start with a ranking, and then a brief description of each...

1. Best Pets - 3915 E Nettleton Ave - (870) 802-3554 Jonesboro, AR *8/10*
2. Tropical Adventure - 211 S Pruett St - (870) 240-0100 Paragould, AR *8/10*
3. Tropical Paradise - 3415 East Highland Dr - (870) 910-5165 Jonesboro, AR *6/10*
4. Petco - 1211 S Caraway Rd - (870) 931-6404 Jonesboro, AR *3/10*

* Kermit's Reef - 8551 Macon Road (901) 755-8033 Cordova, TN
a little over 1hr drive from Jonesboro, right outside Memphis, but well worth it. Nice live plant tank, great FW selection, and FANTASTIC saltwater selection with the largest collection of corals, anenomes, etc. I've ever seen *9/10*

1. Best Pets: This is my favorite LFS for several reasons. This store is clean, large, well stocked, and everything is priced fairly. I don't know if I've ever seen a dirty tank or dead fish. I've seen the occasional ich outbreak, but the tank is always medicated and labeled "NOT FOR SALE". All tanks are separate, which means when an occasional illness does break out, it's limited to the single tank in most cases. Good saltwater selection with 3-5 pieces of live rock in each tank (from 5-25 lbs) when well stocked. Great selection of corals, anenomes, etc.
Staff at the store is above average. The owner is usually around, and he is very knowledgable about most areas of fishkeeping. I've only know of 2 other people who work there, and both were women in their late 20s - early 30's and were so-so in the knowledge department. I never heard incorrect or irresponsible advice, but on several occasions their answer was simply "umm.. i dunno." On occasion one of them will actually seek me out and ask me to help the customer. Quite the compliment, but a little disappointing.
Overall I'd give the store a score of 8 out of 10. Great fish, great supplies, decent prices, above average staff. Only drawbacks are limits on livestock variety (can be expected in a smaller market) and hours (10-5:30) that make it very tricky to make it on weekdays if working a 9-5 job.

2. Tropical Adventure: It should be noted at the beginning of this review that it is owned and run by the same couple as Best Pets. In every area it is equal to their Jonesboro location, with the exception of a better live plant selection the 5 or 6 times I've stopped by. The only reason I ranked it below Best Pets is that it's a 30 minute drive from my house, whereas Best Pets is only 8. This store has the same positives and negatives, with an overall score of 8 of 10.

3. Sailor's Tropical Paradise: This store is the one I visit most frequently besides #1. Tanks are usually in good - great shape, but dead fish in tanks and algae / dead plants drop the aesthetics to average. Selection of fish is fair, almost always including fish not found at other local stores. However, there are also fish that they rarely / never stock. On the plus side, it's the only local store that regularly stocks Kribensis, Yellow Labidochromis, and African Butterflyfish. Other notable finds include clown, bristlenose, and peppermint plecos. Large freshwater fish selection, but limited corals, etc.
Overall the store is good, with lots of reasons to visit occasionally, but certain drawbacks keep it form being the store i frequent most. Live plant tank is a disaster with the exception of the occasional java moss clump that fairs well after being de-snailed and rinsed clean. Prices on equipment, decorations, etc. are steep. I understand that a small business can't always compete with chains like Pet(co)/(smart), but prices 50+% above theirs on every single item makes it hard to justify. Especially considering the other locally own store in town is 2 blocks away and more reasonably priced. Livestock is also a bit pricey in some cases, but fair to even cheapest in town in others. For example, the blue rams (sometimes Bolivian Rams that are mislabled) are a good $4-5 more than Best Pets. However, Zebra Danios or Neon Tetras are usually the best deal in town. I've also overheard some really *bad* advice given to customers on more than one occasion. Overall score of 6 out of 10 for listed reasons.

Petco: Last of the pack for all the usual reasons. Fair/below average selection (seriously, could they overstock livebearers and understock cichlids any more dramatically?) Decent saltwater selection *when* the fish are healthy, but corals/live rock/anenomes are conspicously absent. I don't know that I've ever been in the store that the aquatics department didn't need some serious work. Freshwater tanks are almost always experiencing outbreaks of diseased or weakened fish. Planted tank is the worst in the area by far. It is algae covered, full of dead pond comets / koi on most days (do they not realize that goldfish EAT live plants vigorously?), and almost always stocked with non-aquatic plants. For a chain, the staples of fishkeeping are egregiously understocked. No hydrometers, short stock of test kits, hit or miss selection of freeze dried foods, poor selection of filter media (almost always sold out of filter floss), and too many bowls / vases and not enough tanks top the list of offenses.
Most problems stem from the typical corporation approach to pet store management. Understaffing leads to dirty tanks / sick fish, which leads to decreased business, angry customers, and dissatisfied, overworked employeees, which leads to a loss of knowledgable staff and replacement with high school/college kids with *no* knowledge of fishkeeping, or any other area they might be assigned to, which starts the cycle over again the the tanks continously degenerating until finally someone is forced to stay late or come in early to do a MAJOR overhaul, culling vast numbers of fish, treating the rest with stout meds, and leaving the fish "NOT FOR SALE" and small in numbers for several weeks until the next shipment of 10,000 swordtails and 86,000 mollies arrive, pooping the system back into nitrite/trate overload, algae outbreaks, and fish dieoffs all over again. Overall score 3 out of 10. The only reason to visit is to get dry food, saltwater mix, and the occasional odd and end accessory like a new net or gravel vac.

Hope this helps somebody in some way eventually...

Oqsy
Oqsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Dave66
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Its all I can do not to climb onto the soapbox and go into a serious rant about the irresponsibilty and fish abuse at CoPet and Petsdumb. Jeez Ogsy, how could you give 'em 3 points lol?

Dave
Dave66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2006, 10:37 PM   #3
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy

i thought 3/10 was a pretty fair and accurate rating... are you in northeast arkansas? have you been to the jonesboro petco? if the answer is yes then i'd like to chat sometime and see where you get fish / plants, and invite you into the Mid-South Aquarium Society thingy i'm trying to start... if not, then how can you say that petco deserves a lower OR higher score? granted they are a chain, but each one has a totally different aquatics manager that is in charge of maintenance and fish care, and some of them do pretty well considering what they're given to work with.

Oqsy
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Old 06-06-2006, 12:43 AM   #4
Dave66
Algae Grower

Oqsy,

I've visited those chains all over the US, including my former home state of Arkansas, and asked basic aquarium questions at each site, as I was working on an article for another forum on fish stores. Of course, I wouldn't have mentioned names to avoid a court visit.

Some of the questions: Do you have any Corydoras? A. Is that a bird or a fish?

How big do those Iridescent Sharks get? A. Only four or five inches, and they only grow to the size of tank you put them in.

I have a 10 gallon tank. Can you suggest some fish for it?

You can imagine the answers I got on that one.

The problem I have with the chains is they give totally inaccurate information to new or novice fish keepers, resulting in confusion of the fishkeeper as why Fish A swallowed Fish B when the chain told me they'd get along fine.

You and I know what's what in the realm of fishkeeping. Personally, I've been keeping fish for 35 years, and haven't had to battle disease in the last 25 of it. I'm a writer by profession, and one of the things I write are on aquariums, and aquarium keeping. The vast majority don't know, and as very few people actually read a book and do research before buying a fish, they are chickens ripe for the pluckin' at the chains, to the woe of the buyer and the fish.

By the way, my favorite fish store was in Jonesboro, 'til the roof caved in during one of those wonderful ice storms that I'm sure you've experienced.

Dave
Dave66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
nitro27

you are right but tropical paradise is closed
nitro27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
jeng123

Default new store

What would the response be if someone were to open a strictly saltwater fish store (with the possibility of cychlids as well) in Jonesboro, AR where you could purchase all supplies( good selection of livestock, drygoods, salt water, as well as a selection of corals and live rock)? Is the possibility there to develop a good customer base?
jeng123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2007, 04:24 AM   #7
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

maybe, but salt/fresh would do better.
Eheim Pimp #171
55 gallon jungle in progress; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
Old 01-22-2008, 12:00 AM   #8
jesslove20

This review helped me a ton today! and helped me make my decision as to where i was going to buy my aquatic life. i got a 75 gallon aquarium for christmas, and i am almost ready to fill it up!! i had been looking at petco in jonesboro for fish, but like was said some of them are dead, and all of them look unhealthy. So today i went to tropical adventure, and checked out thier fish, they are only about a mile from my house, but i had never been there. I am glad i went, customer service is outstanding, these people really know thier fish!! thank you for that review! it is much appreciated!
jesslove20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 04:40 AM   #9
Oqsy
Wannabe Guru

glad it helped, i drive to paragould for fish now
Eheim Pimp #171

Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
ram_guy

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm from J-town too! Nice to see some people from AR on here.
Kinda sucks cause Best Pets and Tropical Paradise are both closed now. I either got to memphis or Tropical Adventure now. Also in Memphis there is a fairly new store called Mempfish that's good, and for pond and reef livestock and supplies, check out Something Fishy. As for Petco, the one here is descent, just don't ask the employees for info.

Also, Oqsy, if you don't mind me asking, where did you find color quartz around here?
ram_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
fishguy27@yahoo.com
Algae Grower

I'm in Paragould, it's nice to see some other fish people in the area. Anyone still talking in here?
fishguy27@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.