Ro + di?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-08-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
cape
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Ro + di?

Just a quick question. For crystals and TBs, is there any benefit having the extra DI compartment with a RO machine?
cape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 03:30 AM   #2
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

not sure. i just noticed the other day my portable unit was ro/di. pays to read more lol. so i guess i kinda got lucky with it.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
orhunterfisher
Planted Member

PTrader: (21/100%)

My unit is an RO/DI unit as well. It works awesome, but never having a plain RO unit, I cannot say what the actual differences are. I can say I love my unit
orhunterfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
dmagerl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ro membranes are rated at only around 95 to 97% efficient. So if you have pretty hard water, you get some measurable hardness out of the membrane. The follow up DI filter removes the residual hardness.

My RO unit doesnt not have a DI filter and I have about 600 TDS going into it and about 30 TDS coming out.

As to whether that small amount causes problems for shrimp, I cant tell you. BUt since I remineralize my shrimp water, I'd say no, it doesnt cause problems.
dmagerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

i dont think it would make to much of a difference since most shrimp are kepts with a minimum of 150ish tds and neos even higher in the 200+ range. in a few of my neo tanks i had a tds of 380's thanks to some petrified wood i tad in the tank and even that caused no probs
Old 02-09-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
cape
Algae Grower

Oic, thanks for the responses. I have a RO system without DI, and tds showing up under 2.

Also, I thought using the RO units to lower TDS is just a bonus, but the main purpose was to remove all impurities of tap water that may be harmful to shrimps? So wouldn't a DI unit be very beneficial if your RO is still showing some significant tds?
cape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:02 AM   #7
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

one of the main reasons for using ro or ro/di is to remove everything so you have a blank slate to set things for what ever shrimp you want to keep. people keeping every thing from crystals to cardinals us ro and remineralize the water to get exactly what they want. crystals need to low end of water where as cardinals need the high ends. makes it more exact on water than trying to figure out what your tap water is this time and how to get it where you need it.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #8
nayr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
one of the main reasons for using ro or ro/di is to remove everything so you have a blank slate to set things for what ever shrimp you want to keep. people keeping every thing from crystals to cardinals us ro and remineralize the water to get exactly what they want. crystals need to low end of water where as cardinals need the high ends. makes it more exact on water than trying to figure out what your tap water is this time and how to get it where you need it.
x2, its compounded if you live in an area that uses multiple sources for tap water throughout the year.. when the quality of your tap water fluctuates then its a real nightmare; its so much easier to start off with 0ppm and work up to what you want.

Ive seen everything come out of my faucet; hard, soft, basic, acidic.. sometimes changing every few weeks in the summer when under threat of drought... few years back some people had flammable water not too far away.

I am using a $70 unit from purewaterclub.com since I moved in and its been working great; cheap to maintain.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

me too that is where i got mine and love the portable unit. since i rent i cant really install one permanently so was the only way to go. now when i do find a house to buy i might look into one i can install but for now i love the one i got. and even with my low water pressure in the kitchen it still pumps out a couple gallons in about half an hour. only prob i have is figuring out what to do with all the wast water lol.