Remove parasites
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
dumier
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Remove parasites

New on this, I got a tank with two discus and three angel fish, I have read that at least ones a month we need to remove parasite from fish but I donīt know what to usu for that, could you recomend me something!
dumier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm not sure what would be available in Italy, but there are several vendors here that sell medicated flake foods. If you cannot find anything comparable, you can soak flakes, pellets, or freeze-dried foods in de-worming medications. I know some will also add a few drops of garlic juice to the mix as an appetite stimulant and also mask some of the bitterness of the medications. As for the specific regimen and frequency, I think you'll find that to be something of a trial and error process that won't be the same for every tank/aquarist. But you're wise to think of this in a pre-emptive fashion as once these fish stop eating the outlook for recovery is much worse.
Bushkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
dumier
Algae Grower

Default Be free to recomend me American supplies

I got a friend in the United States who brings me all needed for my tank so if you can recomend me something, even it is sold on the States, if you know any Brand or the name of the medication I can use, I can get it. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:19 PM   #4
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In the USA they sell something called PraziPro. It kills ALL worms in the tank and EVERYTHING else is unharmed and unaffected. You can also soak your fish's food in PraziPro and feed it to them directly, which will kill the parasite in them. I had been told of that method for my reef tanks, but they had lots of corals and other inhabitants that I didn't want to lose. Freshwater plants, snails, shrimp and all other things will be fine.

If you can find PraziPro, get some! Or have your friend send it to you. It's fairly cheap.
GuppyGuppyGuppyGuppyGuppy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
dumier
Algae Grower

Thanks so much!
Old 02-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

it depends on the parasite doesn't it.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

As a preventative, the target is killed off, and should not come back, unless you add new fish, or feed live foods from contaminated sources (for example if you go to the local lake and catch live foods)
So I do not treat monthly.

New fish should be treated in a quarantine tank before you add them to the main tank.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 02:12 AM   #8
Racedoc
Planted Member

A UV sterilizer might be an option too, as long as you have the flow low enough through it to kill parasites. I keep angels too and would lose them periodically likely from parasites. I used the anti protozoan flakes from angels plus, a few days of whole tank treatment with metronidazole, then added an 18w intank UV sterilizer by deep blue sea which I run about 6 hours at night when the CO2 is off. Haven't lost a single fish in many months. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racedoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumier View Post
New on this, I got a tank with two discus and three angel fish, I have read that at least ones a month we need to remove parasite from fish but I donīt know what to usu for that, could you recomend me something!

You read that once a month you need to treat your tank for parasites? That's not true.
Are your discus and angels showing any signs of disease or illness?

Prazipro (praziquantel) is typically used for deworming fish of tapeworms, but will not kill all types of worms or nematodes. It can kill flukes but if not used for an extended aggressive treatment will not kill fluke eggs so then the problem comes back once the lifecycle completes. Most fish respond well to praziquantel treatment and I have used it to treat for possible tapeworm and unsuccessfully treated for flukes. Did not kill the eggs.

It's really best to treat for diseases that you physically are seeing signs of in your fish. White feces, flashing, clamped fins, not eating etc. First rule out basics like ammonia poisoning, water parameters, being a newly introduced fish in your tank and needing an adjustment period, tank mates picking on them etc.

Fish have immune systems as we do that can handle disease and may show no signs of illness, but may in fact be sick. When you start treating randomly with medications you can do more damage than good. They can compromise the fish's immune system. Medications cause a lot of stress on the fish. If your treating with the wrong meds that do nothing but weaken your fish's immune system the disease/parasite they might actually have can take a better grip on your fish and kill them. Leaving you guessing what the hell happened. So sometimes its best to not just throw meds in your tank unless you really know what's causing your fish's illness.

If your going to be keeping very expensive and larger species of fish such as discus I'd recommend buying a microscope. You can do skin and gill scrapes of your fish to find flukes, test feces for parasites etc. It's one of the best things I ever bought and i've been able to identify issues and treat them accurately. Proper quarantine procedures with these fish that so commonly carry pests is important to prevent harm to healthy stock.

Last edited by Fiftymeatballs; 02-15-2014 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: spell
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

Yea if there is no signs of the parasite you can do more harm treating them. You can build up drug resistance forms of the parasite. The more you expose a fish to the medications the less effect it is going to have on them. Always quarantine new fish before adding them to your tank. There is nothing wrong with treating a quarantined fish in the tank just to make sure.

But do not do it on a monthly basis unless they show signs that they are sick. Meds can make the immune system weak and cause the parasite to attack the weak fish then it is game over and you will be getting some new fishes. Just keep up with your weekly water changes and keep them in a clean and stable enviroment and theyll live for a long time. Good luck.
ctaylor3737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.