broken T5HO lamp and mercury
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
lester
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: tx
Posts: 53
Default

broken T5HO lamp and mercury


I ordered some T5HO bulbs and they arrived broken. I'm mainly concerned with exposure to mercury but I cant find anything online about it. Do T5HO bulbs contain mercury dust or vapor? There is a powder in the packaging but I cant tell if its glass dust or what. Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I throw the fixture away too?
lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?
 
Wasserpest's Avatar
 
PTrader: (175/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 15,087
Default

Oh noooo... not another one of those threads.

I am surprised you can't find anything about that online! Well here is a good start: http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #3
robbob2112
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Blawk Hawk, CO
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lester View Post
I ordered some T5HO bulbs and they arrived broken. I'm mainly concerned with exposure to mercury but I cant find anything online about it. Do T5HO bulbs contain mercury dust or vapor? There is a powder in the packaging but I cant tell if its glass dust or what. Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I throw the fixture away too?

All flourescent bulbs contain mercury... a single tiny tiny drop ... What you are seeing is the phosphor powder coating they put on the insides of the bulbs to change the light from ultraviolet to visible.

You wouldn't want to cut yourself with the broken glass from a bulb, but the amount of mecury is so small you don't need to worry about it. Some communities have a recycle place to dispose of old bulb, but most just tell you to throw them in the normal trash. No reason to throw away the fixture

Google "fluorescent bulb mercury exposure" and you will come up with all the information you might ever want.
__________________
46 gallon bowfront, Dalmatian Mollies, Swordtails, Otos
75 gallon Lake Malawi African Cichlids
3 gallon nano desktop with Betta at the office
robbob2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
jinx©
Wannabe Guru
 
jinx©'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,545
Default

Keep the fixture...and dont snort the powder
__________________
jinx© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:32 PM   #5
lemonlime
Planted Member
 
lemonlime's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 294
Default

The mercury is in a vapor form, 95% of it left when the tube broke.
__________________
he's bad! he's mean! he's a space cowboy in a space machine!
he's bad! he's number one! he's a space cowboy with a laser gun!
lemonlime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:34 AM   #6
GIO590
Planted Member
 
GIO590's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 162
Default

There is very little Mercury in a fluorescent light. Additionally although at room temperature mercury is volatile, it is a liquid. You will never see it in its solid form, at normal temperatures.
__________________
Playin with Plants n Shrimp
GIO590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012