Hoffman Water Gardening Soil
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
Mjmaverick
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hoffman Water Gardening Soil

Has anybody used this under a sand top cap? From the information I can gather it would appear to be safe to use in an aquarium but then again, I am a noob. Anyone who has tried this? Anyone ever heard of it? Know anything about it? Looking at it, do you think it would work? Benefit the plants? Stay in place under a sand top cap? My favorite local fish store sells it(they also do pond supplies). Here is a link to the listing on their website. http://www.aquariumconnection.com/detail.php?ID=36153 I have googled it in multiple ways and could find no other information on it. It would appear via a tiny percentage of Google hits that someone somewhere has tried it in a planted aquarium but I couldn't find any information as to any results of such use. Once again, this noob comes humbly asking for any wisdom and insight anyone can provide. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Mjmaverick; 02-06-2014 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: spelling
Mjmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Mjmaverick
Algae Grower

So, according to an outline of the Walstad method of setting up a planted tank I found, one of the recommendations for substrate is the use of a "non-sterile aquatic pond soil", if available, capped with sand. I guess that this Hoffman Water Gardening Soil would fit the bill. Thoughts?
Mjmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #3
koiboi
Planted Member

I have something similar in my 46 bowfront. It's a clay, and it holds the plants down pretty well. It's safe to use.
koiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
koiboi
Planted Member

I wouldn't call it "pond soil" however. It is washed, clean clay. Soil connotates that it has organics in it, which this does not.
koiboi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
substrate