A planted tank.... at a carwash?!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Talking

A planted tank.... at a carwash?!

My father has been owning and operating a carwash for the past 30 years and is always looking at unique ways to bring in customers and provide top notch customer service.

So anyways, today I was egging him on to put a 120p in place of the piano downstairs which is graciously said no to. But in turn, he said why not place a really nicely scaped tank at the carwash! He believes that it would be nice for customers and children to look at while they wait for their car. The best part about all this, is that all the equipment and aquascaping hardscape and what not can be paid on business expenses which is basically a dream come true for me and probably for a lot of you as well.

So my question is, what are your feelings towards having a fish tank at a business like this? Of course efficient service and customer satisfaction is our utmost priority, but would a tank at work really give the place a nice kick? How could I incorporate a carwash theme into the scape?

Just random thoughts, dreaming of a new tank is always the best for mind wandering.
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #2
pikachux3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

That is really neat idea! I want to see it come to fruition. As a kid when my dad took me to car washes, I would wait around and it was boring. It would be awesome to see a planted tank there.

I wouldn't want to incorporate a car wash theme into the scape though xD.
pikachux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Italionstallion888
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I think it would be a good idea, but I would start with a smaller tank like a 55g or 40b and see how customers react. Maybe do some research and ask customers in the waiting area if it is something that they would enjoy.
Italionstallion888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Go big or go home. You need at least 200 gallons.

OK so maybe not. But it's a great way to attract other customers. Gives a "homey" feeling.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
aquatik
Algae Grower

A planted tank is not something people are used to seeing in person. I think they'll love it!
aquatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
Aplomado
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

If someone is going to do the water changes an maintance, it could be cool.

If not, no.

I agree, bigger would be better.
Aplomado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

+1, go big, and lush green.

your customers are fully grown adults, not kids, if the planted tank at a scale that the adult customers can do the same at home, there is no impression, so, go big.

be prepare, a big tank and low maintenance sump system plus light fixture, cost a lot, 200G+ glass planted tank system will cost > 2 grands, on parts at wholesaler price.

BTW, which car wash? I go to SJ from time to time.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Might be the first *planted* tank at a carwash, but certainly not the first tank. One of my favorite carwashes has a huge salt water tank in the customer waiting area.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
koiboi
Planted Member

+1 to Knot. I know the one you're talking about, and that chain has large SW tanks in all their stores here in the Phoenix area. Mostly they are acrylic octagons drilled through the middle. They're not the most attractive things, especially to those with an eye for fish, so make sure you keep up on your planted display. Might have to take a drive to get my car washed now!
koiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:27 PM   #10
dvscar
Algae Grower

Do it!!
dvscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #11
houbanna
Planted Member

I would stick closer to a tetra 55 or the 75 which has same viewing dimensions but deeper width than the 55 gallon. Maybe even get a local family owned fish store to sponcer it, get somee free plants/fish in return for free advertising. Maybe more

Last edited by houbanna; 02-05-2014 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: meant deeper width, was miss leading
houbanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houbanna View Post
I would stick closer to a tetra 55 or the 75 which has same viewing dimensions but deeper than the 55 gallon. Maybe even get a local family owned fish store to sponcer it, get somee free plants/fish in return for free advertising. Maybe more
+1 agree
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #13
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Vs-KMuqjI
Down_Shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #14
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

Professional offices do this all the time. Relaxed customers are happy customers. I would make sure you have at least a dummy camera plainly visible so people won't be tempted to dump things in the tank. Maybe a glass top as well (as much as I dislike them).
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #15
Oxl
Planted Member

Put a lot of thought into where it's situated. I'd worry about people putting things in the tank or even breaking it (I'd likely go acrylic in this instance). Use low maintenance plants and equipment as a poorly tended tank would look worse than no tank at all. I'd go for a beautiful natural theme rather than a tacky car wash theme.

Shrimp may have an even greater wow factor than fish as most people have never seen or even conceived of a large freshwater shrimp colony in a planted tank - could even sell the overstock. Maybe set up a gumball machine that drops a shrimp pellet into the tank for kids to watch them feed.
Oxl is offline   Reply With Quote