diy co2 reactor/noise
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-27-2004, 12:26 AM   #1
d28 boy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to d28 boy

I was getting sick of the burps and bubble sprays from the canister filter so I built one of the "gravel vac" reactors with a powerhead. It seems to be working beautifully, but I am concerned about the level of noise in the water from the powerhead(from the fish's perspective). Does anyone have information about fish stress related to tank gadgetry? Thanks in advance! Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2004, 12:36 AM   #2
Aftica
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't have an answer - but it is a question I have often wondered about with regard to powerheads (especially those aerating ones... I remember my old Visi-Jets were loud when I opened the aerator etc..)

Most curious.
Aftica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 12:39 AM   #3
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Take the next step and build a DIY External CO2 reactor. You will be so happy that you did. One less thing in the tank and super efficient.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:25 AM   #4
d28 boy
Algae Grower

yeah, that sounds like the way to go...guess i'm a little nervous about cutting into my filter hose. is it better to place an inline external reactor on the input or output side?
Old 02-27-2004, 02:35 AM   #5
d28 boy
Algae Grower

ok, found what appear to be some good plans...any comments would be appreciated.
http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/co2reactor.htm
8)
Old 02-27-2004, 04:03 AM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Placing it on the output side should be better for the filter.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 01:01 AM   #7
d28 boy
Algae Grower

okay, i went out and got all the parts for my inline diffusor today. couple of questions...i looked at a picture of rex's diffusor and if i am correct, the co2 enters at the top and the flow is forced downward? that would make sense to keep the co2 in the chamber as long as possible. that means i will probably need an extra length of filter hose, argh, another trip out in the rain! unless anyone has a good reason to place it on the inlet side, my vote is for the output, as i really like how quiet my canister is now that co2 is not going through it...
Old 02-28-2004, 02:18 AM   #8
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Still raining up there?

Outlet, yes. CO2 from the top, yes. Another piece of filter hose, yes.

Are you using pressurized CO2?
Old 02-28-2004, 05:07 AM   #9
d28 boy
Algae Grower

yeah, although it is tapering off from the BIG wind & rain, that is until Monday or Tuesday when the next one comes in...hopefully it will warm up enough inbetween to mow the lawn...life behind the redwood curtain, love it!
yes i am running pressurized, thanks for the response wasser...
i have had the "inside-the-tank" reactor going for a couple days, but it is aesthetically way too bulky for me, although i feel the absorption is most definitely superior to simply running it into the canister. i will post back after getting the "in-line" up and running.
quick change of subject-i am fertilizing with yamato green-n(n for nitrate, they are real nice folks), but tests show that my nitrate is still only about 2.5ppm...it may get quite expensive using this product to achieve proper nitrate levels, although i am trying to increase it slowly as my tank grows in, got some real nice dwarf hairgrass from aquabid. anybody else had experience with yamato green-n?
lastly, i want to say what an invaluable resource this board is and thanks to all y'all! brian
Old 02-29-2004, 03:00 AM   #10
R2thaSAR
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to R2thaSAR

wait a minit, wouldnt it also work to route the CO2 tube through the bottom of the strainer on the filter and just let the bubbles come up through the filter and into the tank, letting the impeller do the work of getting the bubbles into the water?
Old 02-29-2004, 05:11 AM   #11
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Yes if you send it into a canister. A lot of people, including myself don't do this because I heard that the acid could ruin the impeller over time.

I'm really not sure how efficient it is to run it into a HOB/power filter. When I did this, the bubble was chopped by the impeller but it didn't dissove it completely. There were still bubbles going into the power filter and popped on the surface. I would think that this method isn't efficient because it didn't keep the bubbles long enough in the water.
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 05:37 AM   #12
d28 boy
Algae Grower

I ran mine through the fluval 404 for several months and it worked but the co2 in the canister would burp out every 3 mins or so and most of this was large bubbles headed right into the atmosphere...also created that much more of a "bubble factory" within the tank. not a real problem, but i like to take pictures with the digi and i found the bubbles in the photos were too much. with the reactor, with the output placed near the filter inlet, i can see the very fine bubbles coming out and into the filter, hence much better absorption and no hiccups. the reason for building the external reactor is simply the bulkiness of the contraption in the tank definitely distracts from the aesthetics of the natural aquarium, and the powerhead in the water bugs me...ultimately, i would like to get a canister with built in heater so the only thing in the tank is the filter inlet and outlet...thanks for the input, Brian
Old 03-01-2004, 04:07 AM   #13
R2thaSAR
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to R2thaSAR

what canister, explain
Old 03-01-2004, 04:48 AM   #14
Wasserpest
Are these real?

A canister filter, brand: Fluval, model: 404. I think.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:35 AM   #15
d28 boy
Algae Grower

I read about a canister filter(eheim, I think) that has a heater built into it, and I am all for getting everything out of the tank that you possibly can...