DIY SMD LED Pendant Light - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 02-06-2014, 05:08 AM   #16
GitMoe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

I'll ride along for this one. If it works I'd be interested in building a smaller version for one of my tanks...
GitMoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 05:14 AM   #17
yashmack
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Im subscribed to this, cant wait to see what your results are
yashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #18
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Here is what SMD 5630 LED strip material looks like. I cut off a piece at one of the marked cut locations, and now need to solder on red and black wires to the cut end, to connect to the next strip.

This looks like it would be easiest if I stick the strips in place first, but I know that also makes it harder to heat up the solder pad quickly, due to the heat absorbed by the heatsink. First, I need to go buy the wire.

Edit: First problem: the double sided tape on the LED strips doesn't stick well to aluminum. I wiped the surface down with alcohol, but that doesn't seem to be adequate. I'm not sure what to do next.

Last edited by Hoppy; 02-07-2014 at 03:06 AM.. Reason: More info
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:00 AM   #19
Pakman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

The double stick tape on those things are really bad. I was thing hot glue gun or aquarium sealer.

Taptalk via mobile phone, watch out for spelling errors. ;-)
Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #20
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

I wonder if spray painting the aluminum with primer would help. Right now the strip just lifts off except for 3 or4 places. Weird!!
Old 02-07-2014, 06:45 AM   #21
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Have you tried roughing up the surface with sandpaper or steel wool? Maybe its just the coating that is resisting adhesive.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:54 AM   #22
GitMoe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Get a roll of 3M body molding double sided tape from Pep Boys. That stuff will stick anything to anything in any conditions. I've successfully used it to stick things together underwater. I don't know how well it will transfer the heat. I do know the warmer it gets, the stickier it gets...
GitMoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #23
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
Get a roll of 3M body molding double sided tape from Pep Boys. That stuff will stick anything to anything in any conditions. I've successfully used it to stick things together underwater. I don't know how well it will transfer the heat. I do know the warmer it gets, the stickier it gets...
That looks like a good possibility, but I can't easily remove the existing double sided tape from the LED strip, so I would have to stick the sticky LED tape to the body molding tape. Does that seem workable?

I think the first thing I will do is take a small piece of aluminum and spray primer on it, then see if the LED strip sticks well to it. When that doesn't work (I mean, if it doesn't work) I will get that body tape and see how the two stickums work together.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #24
yashmack
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

you might try putting something on top of it to put pressure on it
The aluminum tends to be cold so it causes the sticky stuff to harden slightly and become less sticky

setting something on top and warming up the metal should help it stick
be sure and give it time to let it cure
yashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #25
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

I've noticed that the adhesive backing seems to hold better on the non-waterproof strips compared to the waterproof strips. Have especially experienced this problem after removing a strip from its initial mounted position (on aluminum, etc.) and then remounting it to another position. Believe it or not, I use the permanent Scotch (3M) double sided tape (easily found on the office supply aisle of most stores) as a cheap fix. This tape has been durable and held up well (sticking very good even with the heat, and doesn't seem to effect heat transfer). Only drawback is when you remove the strip again... the adhesive that remains on the mounting surface is a bear to remove (goo gone does the deed, though).
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #26
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastewater View Post
I've noticed that the adhesive backing seems to hold better on the non-waterproof strips compared to the waterproof strips. Have especially experienced this problem after removing a strip from its initial mounted position (on aluminum, etc.) and then remounting it to another position. Believe it or not, I use the permanent Scotch (3M) double sided tape (easily found on the office supply aisle of most stores) as a cheap fix. This tape has been durable and held up well (sticking very good even with the heat, and doesn't seem to effect heat transfer). Only drawback is when you remove the strip again... the adhesive that remains on the mounting surface is a bear to remove (goo gone does the deed, though).
Do you just leave the existing tape on the LED strip, and add the new double sided tape? I'm using the non-waterproof strip (the light will be a foot above the tank, so water won't be a problem.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashmack View Post
you might try putting something on top of it to put pressure on it
The aluminum tends to be cold so it causes the sticky stuff to harden slightly and become less sticky

setting something on top and warming up the metal should help it stick
be sure and give it time to let it cure
I can't set something on top of it - the LEDs stick up and would bear all of the pressure. It sticks for several minutes, then pops back up, and resticking it down doesn't prevent it from doing the same thing again.

The aluminum was indoors, in a 70F room for several hours, so it wasn't cold. It does conduct heat away from the tape, so if the tape was warm it quickly cools off.

I just sprayed a primer on a scrap of the same aluminum bar, so I will soon try it with a 3 LED strip. The primer dries in a couple of hours.http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rl...FZWSfgod8zAAzw
Old 02-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #27
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

[QUOTE=Hoppy;5260201]Do you just leave the existing tape on the LED strip, and add the new double sided tape? I'm using the non-waterproof strip (the light will be a foot above the tank, so water won't be a problem.)

Yep - the new tape will really grip onto the existing LED strip tape. I usually put a strip of the double-sided tape directly onto the aluminum (or other mounting surface) and then apply the LED strip (with existing adhesive tape) to that. I could be wrong (it might not make any difference at all), but I always thought it would be better to apply the LED strip to a non-painted aluminum surface.
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #28
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Do you just leave the existing tape on the LED strip, and add the new double sided tape? I'm using the non-waterproof strip (the light will be a foot above the tank, so water won't be a problem.)
Yep, that's it. Two sticky surfaces put together grip quite tightly. Like how contact cement works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I can't set something on top of it - the LEDs stick up and would bear all of the pressure. It sticks for several minutes, then pops back up, and resticking it down doesn't prevent it from doing the same thing again.
It could be done. I have some neoprene foam sheet I use for padding under tanks when they're to be placed on questionably flat surfaces. It would allow applying plenty of weight without damaging the LEDs. But I've tried this technique with other things, and the result is that the adhesive merely sticks a while longer before coming loose again.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #29
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

It sticks very well to the primed aluminum surface. I'm not sure if a full 2 foot long strip will stick over the entire length, but I can't easily pull this little strip off. I sanded the aluminum with 100 grit paper, then wiped it down well with alcohol, then sprayed it with the primer, outdoors, and let it dry indoors.

I just finished the priming of the heatsink, and restuck the tape on it after the primer dried. If it fails like it did before, it will come loose and bulge up in ripples in about 10 minutes.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #30
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

One strip of LEDs, at 35 inches, 4 PAR.
At 25" - 5 PAR
At 19" - 9 PAR

2 strips of LEDs, at 35 inches, 6 PAR
At 23" - 11 PAR
At 20" - 15 PAR

Last edited by Hoppy; 02-07-2014 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: add more data
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote