Finnex led and red plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Finnex / Schuber Wright

Old 02-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #1
zetvi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Finnex led and red plants

I've been a big fan of finnex led and been using ray 2 for 4 months give or take. People who use ray 2 all know that they work awesome on plants but when it comes to red plans such as ludwigia sp red, it washes out the color. I'm considering about either buying a monster ray 48" and add it in for those red plants or sell off my ray 2 and get back to t5ho. Anybody that has tried the combination of ray2 and monster ray before please lets me know how that works out for the red plants, pictures would be appreciated.
zetvi is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 03:04 AM   #2
tinydanger
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'm curious about this also!
tinydanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:55 AM   #3
flipanda
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

this is the same thing ive been trying to find out. i love my ray 2, but i want red plants!
flipanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
Sluuuder
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Would the red in the planted + help? Don't have many red plants personally but one of them get very red tips at the top of them and they are a very deep dark red and look great under my planted plus with the red leds.

Sluuuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
vraev
Algae Grower

I grow terrestrial plants in a terrarium and I light it at 18" high with 2 x ray 2 + 1 x planted plus + 1 x satellite plus. I am getting very good red colours on my plants. The ray 2 itself has very low red output, so a monster ray might help...but I don't think that much red is necessary. So if u are on the medium end and want to push it to high light levels with some red, add either a planted plus or a satellite +. Thats just my opinion. However, since monster ray can also enhance fish colour, u might want to consider it for that additional reason.
vraev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

I run this combination across 3 tanks. There are a few threads on tpt with tanks running this combo. Full spectrum + full on intensity is a winning combination and the only LED combination on the market today that has worked this well for me. I have bought (and sold) many other LED lamps in the past 3 years and my tanks gradually have come to use this combination without fail.

The only thing i wish Finnex had offered was a 12" Monsterray! then my 12" cube would be full of tank awesomeness running a RAYII as well. I suppose we cant have everything we want now can we
Old 05-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
thedarkfinder
Algae Grower

I have a planted+, ray 2, and a monster on a 40 gallon breeder, (high tech because of the needs of what is in it). Honestly? The planted + is great for the back and does help in the color. The ray 2 is prefect for the front but is very strong light. The reds just pop with the monster. The fish, the plants, everything. But the price tag is pretty steep.

The red plants, Nesaea crassicaulis for example, just pop under this light. Going from t5vho to the led is worth it, IMHO.

I have a few tanks in my house. Replacing the 40 some t5's every 6 months is simply not worth it. Moving everything over to led. The 120 is next, going to go with 6 finnex for that one. 2 planted+, 2 ray 2, and 2 monster. Will replace the 12 t5ho on the stupid thing.
thedarkfinder is offline   Reply With Quote