What would it take to rehabilitate a natural pond?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 01-30-2014, 02:19 AM   #1
Chriss

PTrader: (0/0%)

What would it take to rehabilitate a natural pond?

I am a biology student and I have been trying to figure out what I would like to do as a research project. My family has a camp with a pond in the backyard and it is in very poor health. The water is orange and I do not think anything lives in it. The pond is fed by a small stream and is surrounded on three sides by wetlands. We do not technically own the camp since it is on state game land, I think, but we have had it for four generations. My dad said when he was young they used to swim in it and their were beavers that originally created the pond. The first thing I would like to know is if I would be able to modify the pond and if I would have to contact anyone who that would be. Also I would like to know how feasible an idea this is.
Chriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You should contact your state Department of Natural Resources, or equivalent agency.
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:50 AM   #3
spidangular
Algae Grower

Default What would it take to rehabilitate a natural pond?

The answer: a thousand years or a hundred thousand dollars.
First you have to find out, chemically, what is wrong with the pond, if it is still being fed contaminants and if you can put an end to that. If it has severe contamination issues, there may be just do little one broke bio student can do. But you can't do anything if you don't know what the problem is. Can your school run water and soil sample tests for you, can the govt or EPA do that for you for free or will you get to pay for those in your own? [edited]

Good luck. Post pics of orange water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Wasserpest; 01-30-2014 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: nastiness abound
spidangular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

At my school, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission had a special unit set up under the Ecology department. Check out the profiles of the professors in this area and see if any research/restore wetlands and contact them. They might be able to secure state/federal grants to work on a project like this. Depending on your level of schooling, you might even be able to get a paid research assistant position.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:45 AM   #5
Andrew.
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

I agree there is nothing you can do without testing so you know whats wrong, Also it could just have a clay or other type of bottom that just makes it look orange. I live right next to a lake that looks orangish brown but it's really just the bottom of the lake showing through the water and it produces 3-8 pound bass if you know where and how to fish for them. I'd like to see pictures though
Andrew. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:51 AM   #6
Lynrem
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

See if you have a Natural Resources Conservation Service office near you. They may be able to help you or point you in the right direction.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:13 AM   #7
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (256/100%)

Mostly by planting emergent native wetland plants around most of the edges, along the stream banks, maybe a few submersed species. Stick with approved natives for that specific region.

I would also pick at it, slowly do say your Sunday chore by planting a little bit each week during the planting/growing season. In 5-10 years, it'll look pretty nice. It's not going to be a fast process.

So contact some of the local groups and see as suggested by others.

I would consider the project on each stream's inflow water quality as a function of the type of plants on each stream. So if you have say 50 ft of sedges, in one stream, and say 50 ft of water cress in another, and the last stream, maybe 50 ft of cattail, then measure the water quality up and down stream flowing into the lake, that might be a good project.

You might test just N and P for example.

Ask the local authorities for $ for or provide the plants, you provide the labor etc, should be a good partnership for both.