Zoid's 20 Gallon Long Plan
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-29-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Zoid's 20 Gallon Long Plan

I'm soaking some of this awesome driftwood attached to slate that I got from my LFS.

This got me thinking "don't just plop it into the existing tank, go all out"

My current setup can be seen here : http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=540657

Video of my current setup:

Currently my tank has various sizes of Cichlid stones, greek columns, tardis, h2oshow bubbler, anubias, java fern, swords and rotala. it looks like this:

I plan to do a diagonal half sand half raised fluval stratum layout. I'd like to put some of the broken driftwood branches in between the cichlid stones because I cant seem to find a short foreground plant.

In the coming weeks I hope to make it look like this:

Here is the piece of driftwood I bought from LFS ($20) Its been soaking for a day now.
(some branches broke off or will be broken off):

This idea is gonna work out great for me because I'm completing a school of pepperred corycats and they love sand. (I got pool filter sand "nepheline syenite" 50lbs for $10 at pool store)

Also I can now get Bolivian or German rams! I cant wait, Ill keep you guys updated!

Last edited by Zoidborg; 01-29-2014 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
Zoidborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

Cool

Here is what I got so far:

I probably need a different color pebble or perhaps some smaller grey rocks between the sand and stratum. All the black fluval shrimp stratum needs a carpet but I don't know what can survive in low LED lighting. (Aqueon Modular 30" 2 white, 1 colormax)

The Uruguayensis Sword in the back left is not growing much. No idea what to put in its place.

When I can find some moss, that will go onto the driftwood to form a tree.

Any comments? I look forward to hearing them.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 02:39 AM   #3
Jonnywhoop
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

I personally think you should take out all the artificial ornaments. Thats just my opinion though. For mosses, I think you try XMAS which will be easy to tie and grow.
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Lynrem
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Normally I like all natural decorations, but I like your setup with the Tardis and pillars. Looks like the DR landing on an alien world.

BTW one of the sellers on Dr Who ornaments aon Ebay claims Penn Plex could not renew their agreement with BBC and can no longer make those ornaments.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments guys.

Lynrem that was exactly the look I was going for with the doctor!

Lost licence? Good thing I bought it before the prices skyrocket.

Also even though I have other caves/dark places my neon's like to hide in the tardis, it is after-all bigger on the inside.

Last edited by Zoidborg; 02-04-2014 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

I found a supplier that has Xmas and Coral Mini Pellia Moss. I really like the way Coral Moss looks, but not sure if many people have used that on driftwood "trees".

They also have Frogbit, Salvinia Natans and Duckweed, I heard those take over the top very fast, but do well in low light. Any suggestions for the best for a shallow tank with canister filter?

Last edited by Zoidborg; 02-05-2014 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: addtions
Old 02-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #7
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

Only two weeks later and my Rotala is thriving! Did my first trim and now have 11 bunches of 3-4 stems all from the 2 bunches I started with!

I've since added Amazon Swords, Frogbit and coral moss (mini pellia). The Anubias has grown 8 new leaves and the Java fern has 3 new leaves and 2 baby plant. I'm so excited, I can't believe this much grew in such a short time!

New inhabitants include, 2 Dwarf Rams and 7 Amano Shrimp.

I'm planning to get lots of neons to fill this tank and move the other tetras. However the stragglers (rummy and bloodfin) are so hard to catch!

Last edited by Zoidborg; 03-01-2014 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: Pics

Tags
20 gallon, aquascape, driftwood