My Aqueon Evolve 4 Planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My Aqueon Evolve 4 Planted tank

Here's my Aqueon Evolve 4, with 2 guppies and some Rotala Nenjenshan (guppies love to eat the leaves on this plant) some of stems are even bare of leaves

I'm hoping to get a betta or to just make a shrimp tank to replace these guppies. Any idea on what other small plants I could squeeze in? The tank is around 3 gallons I believe.

I modified the filter area by replacing the filter floss/carbon combo with a Acrylic sheet that fit in the slot. I stuffed my own floss in the intake and added Fluval bio max behind the sheet. In the pump area is a bag of activated carbon.

Pump was to loud and turbulent. I lowered the flow by drilling several holes in the tube. Made it quiet by wrapping the pump in filter floss.

Sand is standard Pool Filter sand (nepheline syenite)

Here's a video too
http://youtu.be/EPJEc9w1AQI

FYI, I got this tank on sale at petsmart for 38$ it was missing a lid though. Luckily Aqueon has awesome customer service, they sent me a replacement free of charge!

Last edited by Zoidborg; 01-29-2014 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: Spelling...
Zoidborg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

Small update, I added some branches off a large piece of driftwood. Also my Rotala is doing well with stock lighting.

Anyone think a plastic canvas/moss wall would fit well with this tank. Is the stock evolve lighting good enough for it?
Old 02-03-2014, 02:41 AM   #3
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looks great , what about anubias nana which you can even attach to the wood .
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah! use anubias nana and attach it to the wood or large stone with some fishing line.
Good luck...
Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

I have some nana in my 20g tank. It will definitely go in the 4g once It gets big enough to split.

Once I get around to that and my moss wall plan, Ill post some pictures
Old 02-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

get some moss wall screen and suction cups, attach and utilize it as a weird mattenfilter. Moss should be fine with the lighting and it might take some patience and time to get it filled in properly, but eventually it will.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:48 AM   #7
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

I have some plastic canvas I cut out to perfectly for the black wall.

Unfortunately suction cups wont stick to the plastic back wall of the Evolve =[ I will have to figure something out.

Pictures soon once I have the moss.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:28 AM   #8
kman
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidborg View Post
I have some plastic canvas I cut out to perfectly for the black wall.

Unfortunately suction cups wont stick to the plastic back wall of the Evolve =[ I will have to figure something out.

Pictures soon once I have the moss.
Does it need to be removable? Super glue or silicon would hold it to the wall.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
Brian041
Planted Member

If it's low tech, I HIGHLY recommend Anubias nana var. barteri (spelling?). It's got the big round leaves that Anubias Nana has and it's anubias so it's indestructible, but it's tiny sized. Petsmart sells them in the little triangle shaped packages now. I've also got some narrow leaf java fern and anubias consegensis (spelling?). Those work well as taller narrow leafed plants. Depending on where your lighting is and everything I've grown really partial to pogostemon helferi and staurogyne repens for foreground plants. Check it!

Here's my aqueon Evolve 4, most of the plants I listed are in this one. I just upgraded to pressurized Co2 a day or two ago, but it hasn't really had time to show any difference. So the whole set up is basically run on the stock LEDs, no ferts, no Co2 addition. The staurogyne is floating cause my snails like to pop it out a lot.

Brian041 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #10
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

Kman, Superglue will have to do

Thanks for the ideas Brian041, will definately be putting some anubias in mine.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:45 AM   #11
kman
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidborg View Post
Kman, Superglue will have to do .
I actually had a thought, if the mesh material is stiff enough, you could instead superglue a couple strips of black plastic with a small space where you could wedge the mesh in to hold it in place like a frame. The idea being only small strips (1/2" wide or thinner) running the length of the black plastic back are glued, rather then the whole mesh. Then it's removable, too, if needed. I'm not explaining this well, but I'll elaborate if you're not following.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
Zoidborg
Algae Grower

Good idea. I will be getting some moss next week, I'll let you all know how it goes
Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 AM   #13
PlantNewbster
Algae Grower

Could I just use fiber glass window screen for the moss?
The Fraternity of Dirt #159
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low tech
PlantNewbster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2014, 02:41 AM   #14
dubels
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Great start! Keep an eye on that stock LED. I think they must have made improvements on the stock light but mine went out rather quickly. My only suggestion is taking out the bag of carbon and replacing it with purigen. Much better stuff. Also I think you are already aware since I think your carbon is there but there is a lot of extra space in the pump area under the filter tray. I shoved a whole bunch of ceramic bio material down in there while I kept the sponges and other media that might need to be serviced up top in the filter tray area.

If you are going to keep shrimp, think about how you are going to block off the grates and the hole that enter into the filter area. Shrimp love to get back there even with a regular aquaclear sponge blocking the entrance. I had to use filter floss, will be getting stainless steel real soon to make my own cover.

I found the flow of my stock pump to be too strong for shrimp, but since the tank looks like it has some changes already I think they might have addressed that. If the flow is too strong people have tried cutting slits into the stock tubing, taking off the jet tip to the outflow and putting a sponge on the outflow. I just have a sponge on the outflow but its one more thing that gets clogged and needs to be cleaned.
dubels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
aqueon evolve, nano, rotala nenjenshen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.