Ramblings of an indecisive 90
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 11-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #1
thirston
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Ramblings of an indecisive 90

Alrighty, It's been nearly a year since I've had a planted tank set up and I'm about to pick up my new 90 AGA this weekend.

I don't have a clue what I'm going to do with it though.
Fish? - Yes!
Plants? - Yes!
Everything else? - Beats me!

I only know one thing for sure... I want low tech and ease of maintenance this time around. I'm sick and tired of spending hours and hours in my tank every week. I also have a lot less time now (working 6 days a week) and I'll have even less time in the near future (first child is on the way).

I've got an Eheim Pro II (2026 I think) laying around but I think I'd prefer the ease of an HOB filter. Maybe I'll buy a an Aquaclear or Emperor and be done with. Since I'm not worrying too much about out gassing I could probably deal with the additional surface agitation of an HOB as opposed to a sub-surface return from my canister filter. What would be necessary for my 90? Would a single Aquaclear 110 be ok? How about an Emperor 400? I could supplement water movement with powerheads I have laying around. Yea yea yea... it all depends on the volume of fish . I'll probably put in a total of about 400-500 grams of fish Confused you didn't I?

I also have (2) 2x65 watt PC kits from AH supply sitting around not being used. Maybe I'll get some new bulbs and be off and running with these. I wonder though... will this be too much light if I'm trying to stay "low tech"?

I need some plant ideas. I am familiar with the basics... assorted crypts, assorted anubias, assorted java ferns, assorted mosses, assorted sagitaria, vals, anacharis, wisteria, etc... what am I missing? I don't mind the tank being "plain jane" but there have got to be other plants out there being used in low tech setups. For the life of me I can't compile a list... *I'm off to look though some of my plant books after this post*

I do have a pressurized CO2 setup but I REALLY don't want to use it. Worst case scenario is that I fill my 5lb. tank and then simply inject through a glass diffuser or through venturi on a Maxi-Jet. I have an inline diffuser but I refuse to use it this go around. I'm tired of messes and clutter under my stand, and tired of extra things to clean and fuss over.

Fish - I don't have a clue what I want in there. Well, that's not entirely true. I want small . Probably some plecos, maybe a couple small cats like Rafaels, Ottos. Perhaps some emperor tetras or small rasboras. I could do a west African tank with some Pelvicachromis, but not the pulchers... maybe another type. *sigh* I could also shoot for a SA biotope because I like angels and Apistos. The problem with these is that the angels get big (remember I want small fish), and the Apistos won't really "pop" in a 90 cause I'll rarely see them. Congos are nice, so are small barbs like cherries, checkerboards. Rainbows come in all shapes and sizes but most get pretty large don't they? No, I don't want the dwarf neons

I'm just rambling here... not trying to ask anything in particular and not really writing with any rhyme or reason. I'll post more as I make decisions.

50 Gallon Aquarium - Colony of Showa Koi Swords.
90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
12x10 Gallon Tanks - Guppies, Apistos, Endlers, Shrimp, Swords, you name it.
thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 03:01 AM   #2
Nbot
Planted Tank Obsessed

Boraras brigittae--my vote for micro fish of the week award, if such a thing exists

forget books, they are outdated! Do a search here for "low tech plants" and "low tech carpet"...I just ordered in some m.minutia, first little sprigs are popping up from the roots today, exciting...

I think 2wpg or less is low tech? Sounds about right...or in that range, 2.4 maybe maxish?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #3
thirston
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, I've made a little bit of progress in the last month

Tank is on the stand with foam board support underneath.
2x96 PCs are connected with 1x10k & 1x6700K.
And... uhmmm... well, I guess that's about it

I'm trying to decide what to do with the driftwood I have laying around. There are 4 pieces I can use *pictured* and I just can't figure out how to place them. I don't need to use them all but I'd probably like to use the tall ones on the left as pillars that will jut out above some low growing plants and then use one of the two pieces on the right to cover with some type of large leaf anubias and regular java fern. In addition I will probably add some clumps of large c. wendtii and probably some tall vals to fill a little vertical space.

Any opinions?

90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
Old 12-13-2007, 06:11 AM   #4
bastalker
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Hey Thirston...

The lighting is great for a low tech tank. The wood looks good, although ya may wanna group em together in the middle an tie sum anubias to em. Moss and swords also work with any low tech tank. Soooo if ya group the driftwood together in the middle with sum anubias an moss tied to em, u should have a great start with a low tech tank.

In yer sig though ya mentioned C02...This isn't low tech. If yer gonna use C02, than thats a plus, just not low tech....

What ya want in a low tech tank is plants that will thrive on heavily feedin the fish and suck up all the food an waste the fish create.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
thirston
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is about the slowest I've ever taken to get a tank up and running. Workign 6 days a week kind of puts a damper on my spare time. Anyway, I've gotten a layer of peat down, and covered it with charcoal colored SS.

I'll be adding some water tonight and running my 2026 for a couple of days with only poly batting in it. Then I plan on removing half of the media from another established 2026 and subbing some new Seachem Matrix for the rest of the bio media, I'll add some new batting, and then probably dump a few fish in. I need to add a black background as well so I don't have to look at that ugly yellow color behind my future plants.

So far it's a 90 with 2X96 watt PC, SS substrate, Eheim 2026, 300 watt Won-Bros titanium heater, and... uhmmm.... that's all! Not bad for a month huh?

Last edited by thirston; 12-16-2007 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: forgot pictures
Old 12-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
kzr750r1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Great start! 2x96 may be a bit much for low light WO CO2 though. Can you run either bulb independently?
kzr750r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
thirston
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm not really sure. It's one of the AH Supply ballasts. I also have 2x65 watt ballast I could use but I don't think that will be quite enough light... beats me. I guess I could add CO2 if I had to. I have 2 complete setups not being used right now, I just wanted to stay away from the "tech" stuff on this tank.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
kzr750r1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Yeah I hear ya. I'm enjoying my low tech 10g more these days. I may need to read through the initial post again, but are you planning a canopy or hanging fixture for the AHS parts? Raising the bulbs a bit may help?
kzr750r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:05 AM   #9
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Those lights should be fine since its a deeper tank then most. Like kzr said , if ya could raise them lights higher, all the better. I really think a more intense light for a shorter period would be better for the tank in the long run anyways.
As far as plants go I dont think that there are many that you couldnt try with your lighting. With the height of your tank I would suggest a nice stand of balansae's. The more height you have the prettier they get !

Looking forward to seeing this tank progress...
Old 12-17-2007, 12:09 AM   #10
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Check out this thread... any of these would be good as well for your planting decisions!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...ht-plants.html